PDA

View Full Version : Adopt-a-Trail - Barbour Fork/Devil's Canyon

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
The gates will open around the 15th so we'll make it Saturday the 27th to do the first cleanup after Winter. Plenty of time to plan around it so mark your calendar now.

For everyone new to Front Range 4x4 Barbour Fork is in Idaho Springs is a trail we adopted last year and did a great cleanup on including removing a Bronco II that had spent 7+ years rusting away on there. It was nice to receive thanks from a variety of folks from hikers to horseback riders while we did it to say nothing about the Forest Service's appreciation.

Pathrat
March 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
It is on my calender.

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 11:22 PM
i should be able to go i shouldnt be oncall that weekend.

Roostercruiser
March 3rd, 2009, 12:03 AM
gonna try to make it

Brody
March 3rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
I'm in ...

Dirt Claude
March 4th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Count me in too

1freaky1
March 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I will put in to take that day off from work and go!

Funrover
March 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
tentative!

Tye
March 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Im in....:thunb:

Chris
April 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
The first visit is with the FS (Brant) and I just confirmed we'll do Devil's Canyon on the same day since we're familiar with Barbour Fork. Depending on turn-out we might just split into 2 groups, one for BF the other DC.

Remember we have the RSVP feature on the calendar, please use it even if you've posted here.

Thanks! :thunb:

Chris
May 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Time to commit for this day to cleanup Barbour Fork for the first time this year and see how it fared since our last visit. This will also be the first visit and cleanup for Devil's Canyon. Both are close to the Forest Service office in Idaho Springs.

We'll run two crews, one for Barbour Fork the other for Devil's Canyon which will be our first visit ever. The BF crew will need someone who helped last year to head it up while I take Brant (Forest Service) in my truck for DC.

Please mark your calendar & RSVP so we can see where we're at with volunteers. We'll run 2 crews, one for BF, the other for DC.

We're all looking forward to the continuation of our effort to clean up these trails and hope you can make it and take part!

:thunb: :thunb: :thunb:

WINKY
May 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
i will try my best to make this Chris as i want to help with cleanup plus the fullsize can carry allot of sheet...

Aaron
May 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I can probably be there. I'll mark my calendar.

Brody
May 19th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Im in....:thunb:

Nice to know that you are alive and well...However much I envy you having a real job, too much work will kill ya!

Remember...you aren't a young man anymore:D:D

Chris
May 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Notice that was March 4th? We'll assume he' alive & well ;)

Whitey Jr
May 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
i will be there with out a doubt and ready to do some clean up i am getting tired of seeing trash on every trail i go to... i wish everyone that hits the trails would think the same as everyone on frontrange4x4

DKDunn04
May 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Bummer, I really wanted to do this, but I will be in Lake Powell!

Pathrat
May 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Bummer, I really wanted to do this, but I will be in Lake Powell!

LUCKY!!!!

Chris
June 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Bringing this back up toask everyone to update the RSVP's to get a count of who will be there. I'd also like someone who did a clean-up last year to volunteer to take the lead on Barbour Fork since I'm assuming we'll split into 2 groups.

We also need someone with a large truck to haul the sign up that we'll be putting into place on Barbour Fork.

Funrover
June 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
wedding/babysitting/b-day party all that weekend. I am out...sorry

gm4x4lover
June 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
i would be happy run the sign up and a but load of trash down.

WINKY
June 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM
i will have to see my availability as i think i am oncall that weekend. i will update as soon as i can

Chris
June 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks, we'll work out the details as we get closer. Have to make the sign but Pete has one that shou;d be easily modified to fit the FS standards.

4Runner3Wheeler
June 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'll more than likely attend the clean up. I just have to ensure my wife hasn't planned any thing for this date.

I'd like to be part of the Devil's crew since I was on Barbour last year.

Chris
June 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
It'll be nice to see you again Andy, been a while!

Just checked the RSVP and see 9 trucks attending?

Pretty odd that we can get a dozen trucks to show up for a night run and only 9 to give something back to the 4x4 community. :confused:

Brody
June 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Pretty odd that we can get a dozen trucks to show up for a night run and only 9 to give something back to the 4x4 community. :confused:

10 now as I had forgotten to RSVP..

Still...PRETTY DAMN PATHETIC AND VERY DAMN SELFISH, PEOPLE if we can't get more than that to respond and give something back. That's only about a 5% turnout...Yes, indeedy...10 people on the night run, more than that on the Spring Creek Run..

So....pardon my subtlety (which I am not reknown for), but why don't you back up your alligator mouths about 'keeping the trails clean, I wanna do my part, I wanna help, etc, etc' with a little bit more than a hummingbird ass and do something about it. The world is filled with 95% 'wannabe something or others'...we don't need more....

gm4x4lover
June 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM
how many last year?

Chris
June 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Looks like 8 (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2708) for the first and we had more for the removal of the abandoned Bronco II.

That 8 was out of less than 70 members.

Aaron
June 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
10 now as I had forgotten to RSVP..

Still...PRETTY DAMN PATHETIC AND VERY DAMN SELFISH, PEOPLE if we can't get more than that to respond and give something back. That's only about a 5% turnout...Yes, indeedy...10 people on the night run, more than that on the Spring Creek Run..

So....pardon my subtlety (which I am not reknown for), but why don't you back up your alligator mouths about 'keeping the trails clean, I wanna do my part, I wanna help, etc, etc' with a little bit more than a hummingbird ass and do something about it. The world is filled with 95% 'wannabe something or others'...we don't need more....

x2. Come on folks. Lets make this the biggest one of the year. We get to use the trails. Lets show the community that we can take care of them as well.

Brody
June 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Much more polite than I am, Aaron is....

I think that we had over 15 people involved when the did the Bronco removal...and that was just the adults...

brian pleasant
June 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
count me in!!! i have seen it happened in florida where many trails closed due to trash and no volunteers to do clean uups... so i am in!! i dont know which group but glad to go either ones

Chris
June 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks Brian, look forward to meeting you! :thunb:

Please click this link to RSVP and add your name to the list: http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2009-6-27&e=33&c=1

The link is the same as clicking the run on the top of the page under "Scheduled Front Range 4x4 Trail Runs"

DKDunn04
June 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I WOULD BE THERE IF I WAS IN TOWN!!!!

Pathrat
June 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I don't have the memory or sense of direction necessary to guide us on Barbour Forks. If, however, I can get a good guide or map (beyond traildamage) I'll lead.

Chris
June 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks Pathrat, you've got lead. The trail will come back to you pretty quick, here's a map for you to refresh your memory.

Pathrat
June 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Chris, can you (or anyone?) send any info like GPS coordinates for the trailhead and this map to my regular email? If anyone else has 411 I will pm them my email address.

The only thing is that Hugh and I have to be back home in Arvada by 5pm.

Pathrat
June 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM

I am not surprised.

Rob
June 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM
PRETTY DAMN PATHETIC AND VERY DAMN SELFISH, PEOPLE if we can't get more than that to respond and give something back. That's only about a 5% turnout...Yes, indeedy...10 people on the night run, more than that on the Spring Creek Run......

I hadn't seen this post (dial-up is limiting), but I felt a disturbance in the force and it led me here. I'll go.

(picture smilie with lightbulb over head here) Hey, how about we do a night cleanup run? Maybe that'll get more folks to sign up.

By the way, do I need to bring anything?

Brody
June 18th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Not really...gloves and stuff like that.

I picked up a bunch of lawn mower leaf catcher bags from an outfit down the street that went out of business and I am bring some of those to give away. Stout, too, with a heavy plastic backing. I am going to drill a couple of holes in the plastic and clip it on with some carabiners...

BTW..I love the 'old age and treachery' thing...I use it a lot, actually....

Chris
June 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Chris, can you (or anyone?) send any info like GPS coordinates for the trailhead and this map to my regular email? If anyone else has 411 I will pm them my email address.

The only thing is that Hugh and I have to be back home in Arvada by 5pm.

Trail Head: N 39°42 908, W 105°33 305

Aaron
June 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
There's a nice writeup with this info if you click on Barbour Fork.

Thanks Chris for filling that out.

WINKY
June 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM
It'll be nice to see you again Andy, been a while!

i will see if i can take a vacation day to go on this as i want to go and help out. If i wasnt oncall i would have joined the run with no question.:(

ShutUpHippie
June 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Same boat for me.. as long as work isn't happening that day, I am in for sure! Should know sometime this coming week.

Pathrat
June 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Trail Head: N 39°42 908, W 105°33 305

Thanks for the map and coordinates

Pathrat
June 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
There's a nice writeup with this info if you click on Barbour Fork.

Thanks Chris for filling that out.

I totally forgot we had this! :o

Chris
June 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I totally forgot we had this! :o

I noticed. :rolleyes:

Chris
June 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I think we have plenty of people now, thanks everyone. Remember to bring lunch, sunscreen, etc especially for the kids. It's a good idea to bring gloves, garbage bags, rake if you can. The FS provides a dumping spot for everything we pull out.

Pathrat
June 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I will be bringing a metal bucket with a lid for sharp objects. If anyone has has a five gallon bucket with a lid, bring it please.

Chris
June 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Kids have fun on these, always good to have them. :thunb:

The FS guy (Brant) does a good job involving them too.

scout man
June 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I am in if I am not working. Probably wont have a ride still, but Ill meet you all at the trail head and jump in with someone if I am not working.

Brody
June 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM
I will be bringing a metal bucket with a lid for sharp objects. If anyone has has a five gallon bucket with a lid, bring it please.

Don't want to see me patch someone else up, huh? Is that it?

Good call. I'll see if I have any with lids that I can bring.

Patrolman
June 21st, 2009, 09:20 AM
I will stay away from the sharp objects. Just call me "Runs with Scissors". ;)

Pathrat
June 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Don't want to see me patch someone else up, huh? Is that it?

Good call. I'll see if I have any with lids that I can bring.

oh yes, lets incorporate first aid training!! :lol:

ShutUpHippie
June 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Looks like I'm out :mad:!! Sorry guys I can't make it to this important run. At least I grab trash when I see it on normal runs.. gotta do something.

4Runner3Wheeler
June 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I'll likely have a seat open. I've RSVP'd. I'll see you all there!

I am in if I am not working. Probably wont have a ride still, but Ill meet you all at the trail head and jump in with someone if I am not working.

Pathrat
June 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
I will stay away from the sharp objects. Just call me "Runs with Scissors". ;)

I am finding tissue glue hard to come by...no more gouging of the flesh for you! :)

Without intending to insult anyone's intelligence, everyone does know to bring sunblock, gloves, water, and a few garbage bags? If you have empty cardboard boxes, bring them too. We will bring a small garbage can for the stuff dug out of the fire pits. If anyone else has a small bin, please bring it as that crap gets heavy.

Brody
June 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
I believe that we are going to split into two groups for the cleanup and this would make the most sense. The Devils Canyon one is going to be a first time clean up, whereas the Barbour Forks will be the first for this year and 4th overall. We also have a sign to put up in Barbour Forks.

I am interested to see if there are people who want to do another run after the clean up. There are quite a few other trails in the area that would be fun to do and we could do them in the afternoon.

Chris
June 23rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Two groups it is, Pathrat is going to head up the Barbour Forks group. A run afterwards would be a good idea Pete depending on time of course.

Brody
June 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
I there someone going with Pathrats group that can get the sign materials to the right spot? I am going to try to have everything cut to length so that it can be assemble with no drama, but the stuff isn't small..

gm4x4lover
June 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I can. And have been assigned groups yet?

Chris
June 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
We'll divide when at the FS building and see how many show up. I have the sign in my truck, thanks to Pete for building it today. It's not assembled so not bad to haul. Do we have any volunteers for assembling and sinking the posts? Hint, we need someone strong and willing to dig the rocky soil likely to be there. The FS will provide the tools.

Pete, will you bring your portable power for assembly.

Last, it will need to be painted after being installed, again the FS will provide paint.

TIA!

Brody
June 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Pete, will you bring your portable power for assembly.

Yep, just send me a reminder

Chris
June 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
:thunb:

Pathrat
June 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Me, Hugh and Tye put in the sign last year, and as much as we tried to help Tye, he did most of the work since he was the most able. I already know I cannot do the task, and not for lack of trying.

Gatemonkey is bringing his Ranger so we can haul things up.

gm4x4lover
June 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM
should i bring the burb or the f150?

Chris
June 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Reminder from Brant with the Forest Service:

"Necessary items to remember include: Long Pants, Long Sleeves, and work/hiking boots. I have been seeing an increasing number of people show up for volunteer work days wearing shorts and flip flops or sandals. I know it's hot in Denver but we really need people to be wearing the proper safety gear."

"Also, do your best in reminding everyone to bring their own work gloves. We have a few pairs but we have other volunteer projects on the 27th so we may be short on gloves. Hardhats will be provided."

Chris
June 24th, 2009, 09:05 AM
should i bring the burb or the f150?

Is this trail full size friendly? I was thinking of bringing the Super Duty so I can help haul stuff in and out of there.

I think it's full size friendly but will let others chime in.

Aaron
June 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I created a thread for planning the run after the cleanup...

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5663

white collar redneck dad
June 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I created a thread for planning the run after the cleanup...

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5663

SAY NO TO CONCRETE ROADS!!! :DPost Clean up!!! im thinking -- cascade creek, up to ute creek,,down either spring creek or saxon down to I70--to fall river road to yankee hill to cut over to Kingston peak (over 12,000 ft) down to mammouth gulch to Tolland (west of Rollinsville) to Rollins Pass to SNOW BASHING ON JENNY CReek to Yankee Doodle Lake!!!:thunb:

FangerFire88
June 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
so where do we meet up at? im not familiar with the area, so i just need to know where to go! i think i can get some support from the 721 Security Forces Sqaudron, were the military police unit at Cheyenne Mountain AF Base... ill see what i can do...
is there a camping option? me and the wife would love to camp... but would want alot more people to hang out with...

white collar redneck dad
June 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Nice to know that you are alive and well...However much I envy you having a real job, too much work will kill ya!

Remember...you aren't a young man anymore:D:D

Im excited!!! Its hard to believe that we have to wait until Saturday to wheel!!!

Chris
June 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
so where do we meet up at? im not familiar with the area, so i just need to know where to go! i think i can get some support from the 721 Security Forces Sqaudron, were the military police unit at Cheyenne Mountain AF Base... ill see what i can do...
is there a camping option? me and the wife would love to camp... but would want alot more people to hang out with...

Details are here: http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2009-6-27&e=33&c=1

It's a nice camping area but have no idea if anyone is planning on that Saturday.

white collar redneck dad
June 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Chris,,,I just pmd the military police guy --- i gave him my number for directions

Chris
June 24th, 2009, 04:22 PM
:thunb: Charlie, I-70 into Idaho Springs, exit following signs for Mt Evans, the FS building is the 1st building on your right.

Chris
June 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Funny how quickly things can change. Please do not sign up for this if you haven't already - it's full. :thunb:

I just checked to find: RSVP'd Yes: 41 (20 members and 21 guests) which is a tremendous turnout and probably the upper limit on what Brant wants to deal with. Being the first cleanup of the year he gets to give us the 'talk' and have us sign-in etc so any more might be just too much.

Of course everyone is welcome to bring their kids & dogs and have a good time. We won't have an organized lunch so bring your own along with sun protection and gloves. No shorts/sandals, long pants aren't a guarantee against injury but shorts are asking for trouble. Might want to throw some insect repellent in the truck too.

Thanks for the great turnaround in attendance and we should be able to make short work of those trails.

:cheers:

WINKY
June 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM
i cant go, oncall and no one can cover, we already have one guy on vacation.... you all have fun! IF you need the assistance of me though you all have my number!

gm4x4lover
June 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
let me know if i need to bring the truck, either way i am not wheeling after the clean up.

Brody
June 24th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I just checked to find: RSVP'd Yes: 41 (20 members and 21 guests)

Thanks for the great turnaround in attendance and we should be able to make short work of those trails.

:cheers:

Thank you, everyone!

Suggestion:

If either of these trails can be run from either side (I know Barbour Forks can be) once we divide the groups up, divide them again and have one group start from the 'end' of each trail and one start from the 'beginning', meeting in the middle. Fast way to get stuff done, especially with so many people, and won't cause too many traffic jams, either.

It also might be a good idea to split the group once more , so that there are roughly 5 rigs in each sub group, and send the first rigs up the trail about 20-30 minutes apart. Keep in mind that these are relatively busy trails, too, and we don't really want to block them if we can help it.

Chris
June 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Good ideas Pete. Brant says he should have a couple posts so we could build the second sign, what would I need to bring? 1/4 round is all I'm sure of.

Brody
June 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Good ideas Pete. Brant says he should have a couple posts so we could build the second sign, what would I need to bring? 1/4 round is all I'm sure of.

One more 46" chunk of 2x4 and that 1x4 I sent back with you. I cut the other plywood to size. We can cope the joints on the 1/4 round so we don't have to bring a miter and I found some more 3" deck screws. We just need a handful of 5/8" regular deck screws to attach the 1/4 backing to the ply and some finish nails, which I'll bring.

I'll bring a hand saw, coping saw, hammer and nail set, and a screw gun + one extra battery.

I take it he FS is gonna supply any caulking along with the paint?

Chris
June 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Sounds good, I'll pick up some 1/4 round and 5/8 deck screws and have a 2x4 in the garage. I'll add them to what you already put together. No mention of caulking, probably not on their list. I think I have a couple tubes.

Pathrat
June 24th, 2009, 10:37 PM
let me know if i need to bring the truck, either way i am not wheeling after the clean up.

I don't think we will need mass amounts of storage for garbage, or at least I hope not. I would think that whatever you choose to bring will be fine.

Pathrat
June 24th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I like the idea of running Barbour from each end but where is the clearing in relation to the start/end of the trail? I would hate to run into five rigs on a narrow section.

Chris
June 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Sorry for a lack of reply Nick, either one would be fine. As Pathrat said there's probably not a need for a lot of space this trip. Typically we'll all have some bags in the back of our trucks. Our big cleanup on Barbour Fork was a different story when we loaded Patrolman's pickup to the roof but we were able to anticipate that since we were removing a truck.

Probably just be hauling out lots of beer cans.

gm4x4lover
June 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM
i will bring the burb then, I will also bring up your wheel. And if anybody wants to carvan up from the springs, monument, or castle rock let me know.

Chris
June 25th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Oops, forgot to mention I don't need the wheel but thanks! I decided to mount a 35 on my old spare rather than have a set of 5 sit in the garage.

gm4x4lover
June 25th, 2009, 08:04 AM
no problem

Chris
June 25th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Can anyone bring tools for the Devil's Canyon sign? Pete's bringing some but we'll need more for the other trail too.

Brody
June 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Battery screw gun, hammer, hand saw, nail set, level is what we need.

FangerFire88
June 25th, 2009, 04:15 PM
so i got one guy from my unit... he wants to ride his bike and then hopefully ride with someone once we get to the FS building. would anyone have a seat open for him? If not, then he wont be able to make it... my truck will already be packed... cant fit too may people in a 90 ranger!!! OH>>>> What time are we meeting at the FS building?

Brody
June 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
so i got one guy from my unit... he wants to ride his bike and then hopefully ride with someone once we get to the FS building. would anyone have a seat open for him? If not, then he wont be able to make it... my truck will already be packed... cant fit too may people in a 90 ranger!!! OH>>>> What time are we meeting at the FS building?

I'll be solo this trip, so if your buddy wants to ride with me, it's cool..

Meeting at 9AM, BTW...

gm4x4lover
June 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I am also running solo if he wants to meet in the springs. I always have a seat open to a service man/woman.

Brody
June 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I am also running solo if he wants to meet in the springs. I always have a seat open to a service man/woman.

I wouldn't ride with you! I have seen how you drive that thing..wheels up in the air, tires squealing...leaning all over the place...your eyes closed...:D

Pathrat
June 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM

I have a hammer in my tool bag, a folding saw stashed in the back and I'll bring a level.

Brody
June 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
You are actually gonna grace us with your presence? I am shocked!

It'll be great to see you!

Chris
June 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Stephanie & Hugh haven't missed one yet. :thunb:

Pathrat
June 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM
You are actually gonna grace us with your presence? I am shocked!

It'll be great to see you!

Who? Us?

Pathrat
June 25th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Stephanie & Hugh haven't missed one yet. :thunb:

I can't ***** about people not showing up for at least one clean up a year if I don't go...it's that whole being against hypocrisy thing. :)

Rob
June 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM

I can bring a battery-powered screwdriver or two and a nail set. Anything else?

Chris
June 25th, 2009, 09:12 PM
That ought to do it, thanks. I imagine Brant may want some carsonites set but he has the tool for that. I think we're all set, look forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

Brody
June 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I can bring a battery-powered screwdriver or two and a nail set. Anything else?

Maybe a semi decent hand saw...

Didn't know you were going to go...be good to see you again!

Rob
June 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Maybe a semi decent hand saw...

Didn't know you were going to go...be good to see you again!

I blend in well in that long list of folks who RSVP'd.

I have a semi decent hand saw. I'll bring it along.

gm4x4lover
June 26th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I wouldn't ride with you! I have seen how you drive that thing..wheels up in the air, tires squealing...leaning all over the place...your eyes closed...:D

I didnt think anybody saw me turn around in the starbucks parking lot on the way out. :D

i am looking forward to meeting more people from the board.

Chris
June 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Thinking ahead. Here's a pretty random division of people into groups. As Pete suggested it's probably a good idea to break it down a bit more and have half the people start at the beginning and half start the back way and meet around the middle. I know this will work on Barbour Fork but never having done Devil's Canyon I'm not sure.

Notice I don't have you anywhere yet Pete. If you'll take the organizational lead I'd appreciate it since you're much better at such things, have good ideas for efficiency and can direct the sign building.

Barbour Fork
Pathrat
Gate Monkey
Screweder
aphillips76
FangerFire88
TwistedBronk
DKDunn04
dr350jja
4x4jsimps

Devil's Canyon
Chris
4Runner3Wheeler
DrUnit
brian pleasant
white collar redneck dad
Dirt Claude
gm4x4lover
WJJEEPER

FangerFire88
June 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
i regret to inform everyone that me and my comrade will not be able to make it saturday:(:(:( we just got hit with Urban Operations traing all day saturday... we were really looking forward to coming up there but needless to say, the service does come first. PLEASE let me know about any upcoming events or rides though... i really want to go up with you guys. also, i would love to see pictures from saturday... any one feel free to email them to me at aaron.beavers@cheyennemountain.af.mil.... once again, im terribly sorry guys... have fun and be safe. i look forward to meeting ya'll soon!:)

Aaron
June 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM
i regret to inform everyone that me and my comrade will not be able to make it saturday:(:(:( we just got hit with Urban Operations traing all day saturday... we were really looking forward to coming up there but needless to say, the service does come first. PLEASE let me know about any upcoming events or rides though... i really want to go up with you guys. also, i would love to see pictures from saturday... any one feel free to email them to me at aaron.beavers@cheyennemountain.af.mil.... once again, im terribly sorry guys... have fun and be safe. i look forward to meeting ya'll soon!:)

No apologies necessary. Thanks for your service.

Chris
June 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
the service does come first

Yes, it does. I'm sure we'll have some pics to post and have some runs coming up (top of the page) that will work for you. We'll catch you next time, thanks!

Brody
June 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM

What he said:"Thanks for the service and no need to apologize"

Hope to see you on the next run!

WINKY
June 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM

dont sweat, you will be busy cleaning the urban streets of "trash"

Brody
June 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I would prefer to be in the Devils Canyon group as I have never run this trail before, but wherever I am best used works for me.

I case you haven't noticed, contrary to what everyone thinks of Pathrat's social skills (or lack thereof), and despite the fact that she isn't a team player (this comes from her work, BTW), she is a very organized person and quite capable of getting the job done, too.

Anyway, the basic breakdown is pretty good. What I would suggest is using this as a framework and then finding out who has some basic carpentry skills and splitting those folks up amongst the groups. We can do this at the station easily enough once we know where the signs are supposed to go.

Thinking ahead. Here's a pretty random division of people into groups. As Pete suggested it's probably a good idea to break it down a bit more and have half the people start at the beginning and half start the back way and meet around the middle. I know this will work on Barbour Fork but never having done Devil's Canyon I'm not sure.

Notice I don't have you anywhere yet Pete. If you'll take the organizational lead I'd appreciate it since you're much better at such things, have good ideas for efficiency and can direct the sign building.

Barbour Fork
Pathrat
Gate Monkey
Screweder
aphillips76
FangerFire88
TwistedBronk
DKDunn04
dr350jja
4x4jsimps

Devil's Canyon
Chris
4Runner3Wheeler
DrUnit
brian pleasant
white collar redneck dad
Dirt Claude
gm4x4lover
WJJEEPER

Chris
June 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I would prefer to be in the Devils Canyon group as I have never run this trail before, but wherever I am best used works for me.

That's why I put myself there, just thinking you may need to head up the signs.

I case you haven't noticed, contrary to what everyone thinks of Pathrat's social skills (or lack thereof), and despite the fact that she isn't a team player (this comes from her work, BTW), she is a very organized person and quite capable of getting the job done, too.

Yep, she's heading up the Barbour Forks crew as she volunteered. I think she has exemplary organizational and people skills myself.*

Anyway, the basic breakdown is pretty good. What I would suggest is using this as a framework and then finding out who has some basic carpentry skills and splitting those folks up amongst the groups. We can do this at the station easily enough once we know where the signs are supposed to go.

Okay, I'll trust your confidence in that. Not sure how many have basic carpentry skills and willingness to dig holes. Just need some of the young & strong guys to step up.

*My opinion has nothing to do with the vision of her wielding very sharp tools. :lol:

Brody
June 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM

:DI put this in here as she always responds so well when people tease her...

BTW, I have no problems digging holes. I don't know how many cubic yards or tons of dirt I have moved in my life, but it seems that no matter what job I am on and in what capacity, I always seem to end up with a shovel in may hand at some point. Probably one of the reasons that I gravitated to 4wheeling...it would be just another hole or two...

Chris
June 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
You're a better man than I but I don't think your back is any better shape than mine. Again, I'll let you handle the whole sign recruiting, assembling, building, painting and planting.

I found a bunch of 3" deck screws in the garage so tossed them in the truck.

Patrolman
June 26th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I sort of waited till the last minute to comment on whether we could make it. :princess: and I will have to bow out this time around. Still sorting on things on my rides, so neither one is really 4-wheel worthy as of today. Last year was such a good time that I look forward to making it to another one soon. More than happy to lend out tools to anyone who needs something.

Pathrat
June 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Brody:
I am proud of my poorly-rated social skills and I have great organizational skills (bossing skills) and I am a great team player when my team is composed of flying monkeys committed to doing my bidding. I see the flying monkeys will be in a nice variety of cool rigs tomorrow :D

Chris, I do carry sharp implements in the back of the FJC. I can do a demo for you to solidify that vision, as a special favor for your kind words about my skills, unlike those spouted by other members of this group.

**kidding, mostly :lol: as I do want a company of flying monkeys**

I have a question about the splitting of the Barbour Forks group: who plans on leading the back end group? Is it really necessary to split the group up if there are no more than nine rigs? This is the number we had on the first clean up and it worked just fine, and the trail is not hard. Thoughts?

Chris
June 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Chris, I do carry sharp implements in the back of the FJC. I can do a demo for you to solidify that vision

Thanks but I'll be on a different trail. No, not intentionally avoiding your demo. Really, that's not it, honest. ;)

Pete suggested splitting so some people go one way and others the opposite and meet somewhere along the trail. As he pointed out when there are a bunch of trucks the front gets the trash while the back sits and waits. Obviously it's up to you.

Swath
June 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I originally posted that I was going but pulled my post a few days ago. I wrote my explanation when I voted No but I guess it doesn't keep the no votes on the page.

A friend had asked me to escort him and his Dad (who is out visiting from NY) out on a 4WD trail. He had planned this a while back and just reminded me that I had promised to do this for them.

So, I guess I'll take them up Storm Mountain like I promised.

Sorry to pull out on the clean up like that. I did commit to him first.

Brody
June 27th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Brody:
I am proud of my poorly-rated social skills and I have great organizational skills (bossing skills) and I am a great team player when my team is composed of flying monkeys committed to doing my bidding. I see the flying monkeys will be in a nice variety of cool rigs tomorrow :D

From the amount of difficulty I am having getting one of our web sites together, I certainly feel qualified to accept the moniker 'flying monkey'....read 'low IQ, opposable thumbs, and the ability to use simple tools'...I have also found that the more I work on computers, the more I try to look through LaDawn's hair for tasty bugs...this bothers her a lot...

I have a question about the splitting of the Barbour Forks group: who plans on leading the back end group? Is it really necessary to split the group up if there are no more than nine rigs? This is the number we had on the first clean up and it worked just fine, and the trail is not hard. Thoughts?

I only mentioned this as a faster way to get the cleanup done so that there is more time to do another run after the clean up. Also, unless there are big campsite areas (like there are on Barbour), if you are in the back of the pack, you are merely along for the ride as everyone in front of you has already scoured the trail of any trash...

BTW...these were merely suggestions...I don't make 'rules' unless it is a matter of life and death...