PDA

View Full Version : Saturday night mar14th Sunday march 15th

WINKY
March 8th, 2009, 02:21 PM
So boyz and gurlz, i will have a few things on the rig to test out and want to get out the house and mayby do a night run saturday night? and a run on sunday till about 5ish. Anyone game? Lets finalize the plan by thursdayish and see whos going set a meet place and time. nothing crazy, just a nice run on a trail to get out the house and get some sights in!

3038819258 cell

Randy:thunb:

So saturday night is set

So for the saturday night ride, Roland is going to lead as he knows his way around. We will be meeting at the mcdonalds in IDAHO SPRINGS at 7PM saturday evening. Please post up if you are committed and going. my cell 3038819258 if you are going to be late etc.

Pathrat
March 8th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Don't know yet. Are you thinking of someplace close?

WINKY
March 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
yeah someplace close over by idaho springs etc... ill make a few ideas tonight and post see what ya think

Chris
March 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
How's Argentine these days? I'm not sure of anything until my daughter has her baby. I'm "on call" until then.

Funrover
March 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
hmm... I will try to convince the better half... but it's a far cry

WINKY
March 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hey chris that looks nice! ill throw that one in the pile to choose from thanks!!

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 12:17 AM
so here is what i came up with, if anyone has better ideas from experience and for this time of year please let me know as i have not been on any trails in colorado.

Argentine Pass
Saxon Mountain
Yankee Hill
Pickle Gulch
Oh-My-God Road

Chris
March 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Scratch OMG, it's a paved road now. Scrubicon did Pickle Gulch not too long ago so maybe check out his pics. Yankee Hill is popular with me as is Argentine, all should be in comparable condition as far as snow's concerned.

Brody
March 9th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah....Oh My God Road you can take a Smart car with 3 flat tires over with no problem...not a bad scenic drive, but so is Peak to Peak Highway.....

Anything around the Yankee Hill area would probably be good, but you will run into snow. Slaughterhouse would be fun, but the loop may be icy.

Tye
March 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I'm working 7-12s for a few weeks, but would like to have done something.

SCRubicon
March 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
You can forget about Pickle Gulch for a while. I went up last week late in the afternoon - I needed to get out of the house for a while. Even with lockers it was a total winch fest. Some of the drifts on the right side of the trail were almost as high as my tires, and Pickle is a narrow trail. I managed to make the new high water mark, but again that was winching the last 90-100 feet to a clearing where I could turn around.

1/19/09 - not even 100 yards up the trail.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Pickle273/Picture010.jpg

3/3/09 - somebody added some fresh tracks up the first long(ish) hill. They made it up about 1/4 of the way. I pushed past their mark, but not by much before the winch line came out. If you look on the right side of the pic a little less than half way down you can see the spot they used (into the trees) to turn around. I took the pic from where I needed the winch to continue up.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Pickle3309/pickle002.jpg

Roostercruiser
March 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM
i might be in for a sat night run next weekend

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah....Oh My God Road you can take a Smart car with 3 flat tires over with no problem...not a bad scenic drive, but so is Peak to Peak Highway.....

Anything around the Yankee Hill area would probably be good, but you will run into snow. Slaughterhouse would be fun, but the loop may be icy.

yeah dont want ice and fall off the earth=bad! ive been through peak to peak at 150+mph....its nice but not offroad..lol

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
ok so i boiled it down to argentine pass and yankee hill. i am thinking yankee hill for the night adventure and argentine for sunday. Let me know. Hopefully they arent in snowed out condition.

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
so i found a interesting page that has ranger number for info,

http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

i called for argentine pass and they said last time anyone was up there it was pretty snwpacked and expecting snow tonight. I called for yankee hill, they said its fairly dry, may have a few snow drifts here and there but no one has been through there this winter.

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
So i found that pole hill and sevenmile are open but seven mile is a ways north. Pole hill is half as close.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=92
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=188

Brody
March 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks Randy, but I have that link already posted in the Trail Resources section as a 'sticky' under 'trail information links'...

Just letting you know that there is a lot of information on the site here...just gotta know where to look...

There is a lot of other information and resources under the same heading, including FS numbers and links to information to a few of the national forests..Arapahoe and Roosevelt, included...

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
kewl, havent gotten round to diggin here yet..lol

Roostercruiser
March 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
hey randy how about just tinkering around york gulch (yankee hill)

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
That works for me roland, for the night run? or sunday?

Roostercruiser
March 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM
That works for me roland, for the night run? or sunday?

nighttime works i know the trails up there very well and cant get lost at night. i dont know about the snow sitiuation but there is so many other trails to fall back on up there, (cascade creek, ute creek, there is a trail 1/2 way up fall river road at the switchback thats fun, devils canyon if open)

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Alright it is set for the night run with Roland and i so far. I will call you roland to set time and meet for saturday night. I will post the meet time and place on here for anyone else that wants to join.

DETN8R
March 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm really interested in this as well

Pathrat
March 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Not sure. I am helping my friend move this weekend, and if it is on Saturday, I am likely out.

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM
So for the saturday night ride, Roland is going to lead as he knows his way around. meet spot mcdonalds in idaho springs 7pm sharp. Please post up if you are committed and going. My number again 3038819258 if you are going to be late etc.

Brody
March 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
If you guys are going to go to the Yankee Hill area, I don't think that you want to be meeting at the Hotdog Stand in Bailey (not Grant)on 285. I couldn't figure out from the posts where you were actually going to go, but it sounded like Yankee. Better place to meet is around Idaho Springs area somewhere, like the Dumont exit Starbucks or something.

I always check traildamage.com to see where they suggest meeting up. Most of the time they have good suggestions. Other times, the meeting spots are obviously someone's favorite place and make no sense...

WINKY
March 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM
yeah, roland wanted to roam around yankee hill... and he said something about the hotdog stand... i could have misheard him. Ill straighten it out :)

Roostercruiser
March 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM
the hamburger stand on 3rd and union not coney island but mcdonalds in idaho sprngs is a better meeting spot

Brody
March 10th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I stand corrected...

You live in that area of town? That's not too far away from me, Pathrat, Tye, Steve and a few other folks....

Roostercruiser
March 10th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I stand corrected...

You live in that area of town? That's not too far away from me, Pathrat, Tye, Steve and a few other folks....

i live at 6th and garrison on the frontage rd easy access to evryhere

WINKY
March 10th, 2009, 01:20 PM
the hamburger stand on 3rd and union not coney island but mcdonalds in idaho sprngs is a better meeting spot

OH ok , i didnt know of another hotdog stand...LMAO im a tard :oops:

Brody
March 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah, Randy...the one where I thought we were gonna lose you before we got to it cause you were so hungry when we ran Duck Creek....thats the one that I thought got mentioned first.....

WINKY
March 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM
lol

"Im not fat im just big boned" -cartman

DETN8R
March 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
So whats the plan? I'm lost.

WINKY
March 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
so far we are going to meet at the mcdonalds in idaho springs at 7pm saturday evening. Roland is going to be our tour guide. Bring a cb if you have one. As far as sunday goes no takers yet... :(

DETN8R
March 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'll try to make it. It sounds really fun. I'll have to get my fog light bar done that day.

WINKY
March 12th, 2009, 12:53 AM
yeah my light bar came in today and i need to figure out how to install it.... hopefully i get the rest of the lights in on thursday and take a couple hours to wire them up.

Roostercruiser
March 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM
who needs lights anyway ray charles can drive a bus while driking a pepsi in the dark:D

WINKY
March 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA I CANT SEEE!!!!

DETN8R
March 14th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry I couldnt make it guys. I hope we get lots of pics when you guys return

WINKY
March 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Actually i was so busy putting the lights on the rig that i bolted straight for rolands place and forgot my camera. We did however get a good learning curve going on how to keep a truck from sliding down a slope due to iced snow on a trail. Very interesting but all three of us were able to get the truck back on the grooves and backed out safely. No vehicles harmed or people :)

As for me the tires are what i expected, traction everywhere and the lights work very well for my needs. I had tons of fun!! I look forward to running around in the woods again for a long time! This is what i live for meng! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH im just stoked and half exhausted...

And thank you Roland for leading, next time i will lead and you can give directions where to go as i am totally lost up there :D

Seeing that roland and i have the same schedule, i had a though of making a weekly night run on saturday nights, let me know what anyone else thinks !

Funrover
March 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Glad you all had fun!