PDA

View Full Version : Me and the Rattle Can

Pathrat
March 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
The gouges in my sliders and on my BrodyBuilt control arm skids were showing signs of rust. I don't have the spending money I used to have, but vehicle maintenance still gets a piece of the budget pie. So I went down to my local auto parts store, got some sanding discs and black Rust-o-leum (which is on sale for 2/$9.00 at AdvanceAutoParts). I was staring at the paint cans and noticed something shiny. There was a blue metallic can that looked cool. I didn't have a solid idea of what to do with it but I brought it home.

Sanded the rust out, smoothed the ruts, applied three coats of black, then decided to try painting the rail on the sliders closest to the truck body. It wasn't enough. I went ahead and sprayed the whole thing. Then I showered and made a pie. Really. It was a good afternoon and I am in an excellent mood.

What do you guys think? I was concerned it would look stupid.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/PSA1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/PSA2.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/PSA3.jpg

Chris
March 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Not bad Pathrat but I like black better. But I just painted my grill and headlight surrounds gray so I guess colors other than black work. I've noticed that in South America it's typical to paint sliders, bumper, etc the color of the truck.

Funrover
March 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
It fits you Path.. It adds the flair that you bring! I like it

WINKY
March 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM
that looks good!!! got some bling going on now! Cant beat advance auto!!

Chris
March 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Listen to them Pathrat, I still think refrigerators should be white and telephones black. :lol:

Pathrat
March 8th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I appreciate the input from EVERYONE :) thanks

4Runninfun
March 8th, 2009, 11:14 PM
yeah i kinda agree with chris, but then again i think everything needs to be flat black. :D

Brody
March 9th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Looks good, Pathrat...nice color....Problem is that when you scratch it now, it will look worse than if you scratched something black or flat black...don't ask why..it just works that way....

Tye
March 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM
It looks fine dont listen to them...color is good.

Roostercruiser
March 9th, 2009, 08:53 AM
looks goods and the others are just jealous:D

Brody
March 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
You are right....I am jealous....Now I am going to have to get some paint and do some accent work on mine!

I think that I'll go with.....let me see...got a color chart right here.......AHA! Got IT! Black it is!!!

Roostercruiser
March 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM
You are right....I am jealous....Now I am going to have to get some paint and do some accent work on mine!

I think that I'll go with.....let me see...got a color chart right here.......AHA! Got IT! Black it is!!!

have you got rhino lining paint on yourtruck or is it just plain black paint. cause i wanna throw some rhino type paint on the bottom of the burb and scout. i think it would stop some rust and take more abuse

Brody
March 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
The stuff I used is the cheapo spray on stuff you can get at Auto Zone, Checkers, etc. It also comes in a brush on, which I used in the bed with very good luck, but it doesn't lay down too well for body panels. The spray stuff works great and covers a lot for around $8 per can. I think it is called DuraBak...

A word of caution: prep is the key! Since this stuff goes on pretty thick, rough up the surface with at least 80 grit paper, then clean them off with either denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner. Also, the very first spray out of the nozzle will be very light, clear and runny. Shoot a bit in the air or on something else before you start on your rig.

And yes, I used that over my entire rig...makes touch ups a breeze and I never ever have the desire to wax it! You can barely scratch this stuff with a key or screwdriver, even when you try to. Pretty durable...

Roostercruiser
March 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM
cool thanks for the info

gragravar
March 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I like the way it looks. Keep the color!

Pathrat
March 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks again everyone. :)Yes Brody, I will show the scratches more but I figured, if I have to sand out gouges every season or two, no big deal to add that additional two coats of blue and some top coat. Besides, I would not want the casual observer to think I only had the sliders to look pretty, and not for actual use.:D

WINKY
March 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM

i was kinda figuring pink or yellow..... :lol::lol::lol:

Patrolman
March 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM
It looks good, but it shoulda been green! Like the others, everything should be green at some point I guess.

So when are you gonna do rust maintenance on my truck? ;)

Pathrat
March 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM
It looks good, but it shoulda been green! Like the others, everything should be green at some point I guess.

So when are you gonna do rust maintenance on my truck? ;)

Which truck Patrolman??? :D

1freaky1
March 10th, 2009, 07:19 AM
it looks good, you did a nice job on them!

Brody
March 10th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Tye never has the need to do any rust maintenance on his rig...it is self lubricating....

Funrover
March 10th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Tye never has the need to do any rust maintenance on his rig...it is self lubricating....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pathrat
March 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM

:lol: I did not see ONE speck of rust while I was under his rig!