March 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqTw_-7eV_Q

I am sure the seat is stained.... but I wonder how he got there

Roostercruiser
March 11th, 2009, 07:40 PM
how did it end?

scout man
March 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
there is so much stupidity in that video I dont even know where to start...

billsbar
March 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM
damn how did it get that far off the trail and what was that doing on something like that. I also wonder how it all ended

WINKY
March 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
(note to self stay on trail):oops::bang::help:

Pathrat
March 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
So, besides not getting so far off the trail, hoping for another vehicle to come and hook a strap on to you, and NOT proceeding to keep driving, what are some suggestions on how to remedy the situation?

Dan
March 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
So, besides not getting so far off the trail, hoping for another vehicle to come and hook a strap on to you, and NOT proceeding to keep driving, what are some suggestions on how to remedy the situation?

20 WWF wrestlers. 19 to pick the truck up, carry it uphill and set it back on the trail. 1 to smack him around when he gets back down.:D

billsbar
March 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM
damn good question, one I don't have a answer for

Pathrat
March 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM
20 WWF wrestlers. 19 to pick the truck up, carry it uphill and set it back on the trail. 1 to smack him around when he gets back down.:D

:lol::lol::lol: EXCELLENT RESPONSE, YOU WIN

Funrover
March 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Well we had a similar situation on a trip over Tin Cup.. We hooked a strap on one end and a winch on another... pulled him back up. If alone and no winch.. you are pretty much screwed!

Chris
March 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
And the poor guy was just pulling over for us :oops:

Funrover
March 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
And the poor guy was just pulling over for us :oops:

I felt bad for him.. I am just glad I got him to stop before he went any further.

scout man
March 11th, 2009, 10:41 PM
If I was in that exact situation, alone with no winch, I would have at least run a strap from the vehicle to a stable object of some sort so that I could not slide any further down the hill. I am thinking in this situation either front bumper to a large rock, which means if you start to slide you (in theory) cant go real far and will at least end up facing uphill, which could help in further recovery. The other potential option would be to strap from the side of the frame to a stable object, which means as you try to drive the strap could force you into and arc type motion and swing you up the hill with enough traction, and not let you slide down. Of course, this would only be an extremely last resort when there was definitely no one around to help and it was up to you to recover yourself. Then once I got out I would sell my vehicle to someone with a higher IQ and go buy a street-only go-cart because that would aparently be the only thing I could safely handle....

EDIT: alright, after reading the posts that went up while I was typing this, I would allow the pulling over for someone else excuse... I would be allowed to keep my vehicle for that one, but if I got there on my own with truly no one around... I think the above still aplies

Chris
March 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Then once I got out I would sell my vehicle to someone with a higher IQ and go buy a street-only go-cart because that would aparently be the only thing I could safely handle....

:lol: :thunb:

Pathrat
March 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
If I was in that exact situation, alone with no winch, I would have at least run a strap from the vehicle to a stable object of some sort so that I could not slide any further down the hill. I am thinking in this situation either front bumper to a large rock, which means if you start to slide you (in theory) cant go real far and will at least end up facing uphill, which could help in further recovery. The other potential option would be to strap from the side of the frame to a stable object, which means as you try to drive the strap could force you into and arc type motion and swing you up the hill with enough traction, and not let you slide down. Of course, this would only be an extremely last resort when there was definitely no one around to help and it was up to you to recover yourself. Then once I got out I would sell my vehicle to someone with a higher IQ and go buy a street-only go-cart because that would aparently be the only thing I could safely handle....

I like your answer. I was looking in the video for some object and didn't really see one. Guy could have wedged a rock between the big flat one in the rear and his tire in some kind of wedge maybe.
Your last sentence is the best! :lol:

SCRubicon
March 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Hell at that point light it on fire, push it down the hill and call it a day...

WINKY
March 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
dont wheel alone....??

Brody
March 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Just read this. This isn't much different than when Bren, LaDawn and I did a snow run the day we couldn't get over Kenosha to meet up with the China Wall run. He was in front and hit an icy snow covered little hill. Even though he was locked up front and rear, he slid backwards on the trail, ending up with his back end pointing down into a ditch with no traction to be found. We both had winches, so I had him hook his to a tree in front of him, but uphill. I then hooked mine to his back end, but through a snatch block located on the side of the road, also uphill, but off of the side of his truck.

When he started driving/winching forward, actually just spinning tires, I used my winch to start pulling the back of his rig back onto the trail. It took a little bit, but we finally got him aligned with the trail and were able to back back down the hill.

These guys look woefully unprepared, but assuming that they actually had a jack and some straps, I would have hooked up a strap to something on the high side of the hill, like a big boulder, to keep the top, high side of the truck stable, preferrably in two points, front and back, and started jacking up the down side of the truck. Then I would have started stacking blocks under the down side wheels and building a little ramp off of these. Keeping tension on the upper straps somehow...bodies, probably...I would have had the driver slowly start driving froward to get his front end back on the road. Even a bottle or scissor jack would have been enough to get the wheels up high enough to stack rocks under them..

With another rig there, I think I would've gotten in front of the truck and hooked it up, still using the upper straps and still stacking under the down side tires. I also would've still built some sort of ramp for the tires. Then, as Homey was driving forward, I would have started pulling him slowly out. Once the front of the rig was back on the road, even if the back end persisted in sliding down hill a bit, you could still block and stack enough to get the back end back up on the road.

Still, not the best position to be in, especially with a big heavy rig.. I have gotten myself into these situations before, usually wheeling alone, and ended up making a day out of getting out instead of an enjoyable day of wheeling. You end up learning a lot...

No jacks, no straps..well, a long wait for a good Samaritan, I guess. I like the comments! I also can't believe that he still persisted in driving forward when he kept sliding down the hill and getting more tippy. Love that off camber stuff..uh huh...My friend Mike Caskey bought a 4Runner that had rolled 8 times off the road going to Mills Lake. He pulled over to let some other folks by and the side of the hill gave way under his down hill tires. No one was hurt, the rig got rebuilt into their 4 seater buggy, but that trail isn't hard, either. Just goes to show you that you really can't be too careful, even on easy stuff...

billsbar
March 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
if you look at the beginning of the video it looks like his strap and small come-a-long bails out of the truck, seems they were smarter then the driver. I wouldn't hook to the guy, 8000lb plus truck decides to take a wild ride to the bottom my little 2200 Sami would be going with it

scout man
March 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
it looks like his strap and small come-a-long bails out of the truck, seems they were smarter then the driver.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::thunb:

1freaky1
March 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM

2nd that!!!

1freaky1
March 12th, 2009, 12:38 PM

2nd that!!! Wonder how they got in that position to start with

Pathrat
March 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Hell at that point light it on fire, push it down the hill and call it a day...

Sure, why not make a good situation out of a bad one? Be fun to watch a rolling, burning hunk of metal!

gm4x4lover
March 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
We recovered a truck similar to that last fall from the top of mt baldy. Same predicament, even a big chevy. It took 2 vehicles with winches and even then it was risky. as the truck was being pulled up it wanted to flop over. I feel for the guys it is easy for a full size to get sucked off the edge.

Funrover
March 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I heard about that