PDA

View Full Version : Chris' Big Dodge Build: Rock Rails

Brody
March 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Here is the start to Chris' rock rails. Everything is 3/16" steel and and all of the frame mounting points are gusseted. As this is a heavy truck, the gusseting was deemed necessary, especially since Chris is going to stress test these big time. Consideration was also given to the fact that Chris will at some point go to either a full or partial exo cage and the rails needed to be just far enough off the body line to attach future tubing. All the parts are built at this point and all it needs is to be welded to the frame.

The charcoal cannisters will have to be slightly relocated to accomodate the frame mount on that side and I will post pictures of what I did. This will be finished Tuesday and given a couple of coats of Dura Back lining.

Funrover
March 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Looks great so far!

Pathrat
March 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM
very cool Brody! :thunb:

Brody
March 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Thanks!

Randy is coming by today and we are going to do his light bar, but we are also going to see if the rails fit his big Dodge as he needs some too. I knew there was a reason I copied all the angles and measurements down....

Brody
March 19th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Here is the finished product. The back brace ended up being straight across and had a larger angled brace added. One of the frame braces had to be notched to clear the emergency brake cable and the same cables ended up running underneath another frame brace. I added a piece of 1/4" steel plate to protect these cables under this brace. In addition, I moved the charcoal cannisters up about 3" so that they wouldn't get tagged on the rocks.

Overall, a good project and a very strong addition to what is going to be a stout wheeling rig. These things are designed to take some major abuse from a heavy truck with a long wheel base.

Brody
March 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM
They are stout enough that when I had to modify the fronts by an inch for tire clearance, when I cut out the front angled brace and put the new one in, the steel tweaked a little and I was having a hard time lining it back up. I put a bottle jack under the outer piece, which now had no brace, to crank it up the 1/4" that I needed. The rail didn't move at all, instead the jack lifted the entire truck on that side! Stout is an understatement. I managed to get the metal lined up with a big set of clamps, but I was impressed with how stout it was.

Like I said, I built them for a big, heavy truck that was going to spend a lot of time on the rails. Chris is also planning on doing some sort of an exo cage and additional protection that will all tie into the rails. Pity the poor ******* the ever tries to take them off down the road sometime...

Thanks for the compliments, BTW, they are always appreciated!

Funrover
March 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Very sweet!

4Runninfun
March 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM
looks great! he should have now worries.

Rick
January 17th, 2012, 10:04 AM
would be interested in a set of those when $$$$$ permits/ what would the approx. cost be if you dont mind me asking/ I have some on now but nothing like you made.

Brody
January 17th, 2012, 10:08 AM
PM sent.