PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Supplies

Brody
March 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Got a Cabela's catalog today and looking through it found two things that I didn't know were now available for us civvies.

One is Quick clot, designed to stop very bad bleeding, fast. The military issue Quick Clot is certainly the way to go, although they offer it in many different styles.

Here is the link and you will find that there are many links to different articles on this product. Most of them good, and the bad reviews are the ones where someone has experienced a 'skin reaction'. Me, I am bleeding to death way out in the boonies somewhere, the last thing I am going to be worried about is a 'skin reaction'...

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=quick+clot&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS317US318&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=bPO-SbaBMISTngfilrGbBg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

The other is a disposable skin stapler. These are primarily a 'one use' application, but still a very good idea to have in one's back country/4x4 first aid kit.A little rougher than sutures, but a lot faster, especially for large gaping wounds that require many stitches or a gallon of tissue glue. And, what the hey, you are already hurting, anyway, right??

Here is that link:

http://www.medstarsutures.com/servlet/the-854/Skin-Stapler/Detail?gclid=CIO_tYXMopkCFQ4eDQodXlropg

Both of these prices are considerably lower than what Cabelas had them for, with the Quick Clot being less by around 5 bucks and the stapler being less than 1/2 price.

These are going to go in my kit...

Chris
March 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Good idea Pete, any quantity discounts? Maybe others (like me) would like to add them both to our kits.

Funrover
March 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM
That is good stuff no doubt. Another thing that is good to have in a first aid kit (don't laugh to loud) Tampons... They can absorb a lot.

Roostercruiser
March 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM
you can never have to much frst aid

Chris
March 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Agreed on the tampons but I'd rather stop the bleeding than soak it up.

Funrover
March 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Agreed on the tampons but I'd rather stop the bleeding than soak it up.

Agreed, but I was also thinking in situations like cowboy had.. soak up all bodily fluids

Chris
March 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Agreed, but I was also thinking in situations like cowboy had.. soak up all bodily fluids

Good point! :thunb:

Pathrat
March 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
That is good stuff no doubt. Another thing that is good to have in a first aid kit (don't laugh to loud) Tampons... They can absorb a lot.

Aaron, good idea but I would suggest maxipads than tampons. You can tape a pad to a wound with a bit more efficiency and you can cover a larger sized wound.

Thanks Brody! I had seen these when I was helping Scout with an assignment (outfit a party of five in northern Canada with no human contact or resupplying for six months or so with $5000). So they are cheaper now, huh? COOL

And yes, there is no such thing as having too many first aid supplies.

Brody
March 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
When we were first discussing first aid kits and what to carry (or what people carry) in them, I mentioned Maxi Pads, Duct tape and super glue. You can do an amazing amount of stuff with these items. Ask any ex forces medic....

1freaky1
March 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I use super glue to close cuts as long as they are not to deep, it stings at first but works great at keeping the skin closed. This posting has made me think I need to go thru our first aid kit and see what we have in it and don't.

Brody
March 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Sean

Awhile back I started a thread about first aid stuff, what to bring, what people carry, etc. and it turned out to be pretty informative. You might be able to chase it down doing a search for 'first aid' on the site. I know it was months ago and I don't know what section I put it in.

Found it. Here is the link:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2320

1freaky1
March 17th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks Brody! I never thought of using the Ammonia for that, I am definitely going to do that this summer.

Pathrat
March 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I am glad you brought the topic up again. It reminds me to go through my kit at the beginning of each season to check the expiration dates on the meds, see that I actually have superglue and that it has not dried out, etc.

If anyone wants some latex gloves, let me know. I will put the box in my truck for the run on the 28th.

Brody
March 18th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Sean

You like that ammonia trick, huh? I was told that it smells like some sort or weird big (er) cat and none of the other animals wants to mess with it. Having smelled mountain lion scat and it's distinctive odor, I can believe it..

Chris
March 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I mentioned that to Barb last night and she really liked the idea too since she gets kind of freaked out about creatures in the hills.

WINKY
March 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I mentioned that to Barb last night and she really liked the idea too since she gets kind of freaked out about creatures in the hills.

well i guess i cant go any where and not freak anyone out.... especially on a full moon night....

Pathrat
March 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
here are links to buy:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0048462517925a.shtml

and

http://www.boss-safety.com/shop/quikclot-sport-p-6519.html

About my stapler:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0013054515247a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&N

billsbar
March 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
the wife and I came across a head on on Valmont rd in Boulder years ago and a disposible diper work wonders until the rescue squad showed up.

Pathrat
March 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
the wife and I came across a head on on Valmont rd in Boulder years ago and a disposible diper work wonders until the rescue squad showed up.

You what? Am I reading that you found a head? Sans body?

WINKY
March 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
hey if my guts are hangin out and i need to be fixed staple my arse together till the hospital!

gragravar
March 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
You what? Am I reading that you found a head? Sans body?

you missed one of the two "on"s I think he meant a head-on collision on valmont rd.

Brody
March 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Go to the other places to buy these. Cabelas is way too high priced, about twice what the link I posted, for the same stapler. The link I posted for the Quick Clot is also higher at Cabellas, and you aren't offered the choice to get the military 'we ain't jokin' here' Quick Clot packages.

Sorry, Pathrat, but I don't see any reason to support a middle man like Cabellas if you can go somewhere else to get the same product cheaper. Cabellas pissed me off a number of years ago ago, and I have had multiple conversations( phone, email, written letters) with their supposed customer service people, so I won't buy from them anyway. But the bottom line, I am not a big fan of big business and would rather spend my money with smaller businesses....

Pathrat
March 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Go to the other places to buy these. Cabelas is way too high priced, about twice what the link I posted, for the same stapler. The link I posted for the Quick Clot is also higher at Cabellas, and you aren't offered the choice to get the military 'we ain't jokin' here' Quick Clot packages.

Sorry, Pathrat, but I don't see any reason to support a middle man like Cabellas if you can go somewhere else to get the same product cheaper. Cabellas pissed me off a number of years ago ago, and I have had multiple conversations( phone, email, written letters) with their supposed customer service people, so I won't buy from them anyway. But the bottom line, I am not a big fan of big business and would rather spend my money with smaller businesses....

I did a search, and the second link I posted for the quikclot was just slightly cheaper than Cabelas.
Seems that the average is $9-10 for the smallest pack.
I didn't see a link for the stapler so I posted the Cabelas to augment the post. I am sure people will shop around and pick from who they like. :)