PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Erie

99Disco1
March 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hello,

My name is John and I am new to this forum. My wife, Kathleen, and our son, James, get out as often as we can in our 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series 1. For those of you not familiar with these vehicles, the Series 1 has basically the same drive train and off road characterisitcs as a Range Rover Classic. We refer to it as "The Short Bus" (Hey now! No comments from the peanut gallery! :D)

Modifications include:

* Thrust Bolted front and rear third members
* 4.71:1 gears
* Detroit Locker in the rear
* ARB in the front
* Custom rear suspension (reverse triangulation with relocated lower control arms)
* Bilstein 7100 series remote resevoir shocks (10" travel)
* Three inch progressive rate coil springs
* 13.50 X 35 15 BFG Krawlers
* Walker Evans Bead Locks
* Power Tank
* Custom front and rear bumpers
* Warn 9.5 XTi winch
* Front and rear pinion guards
* Rock sliders
* Aluminum gas tank skid plate
* Custom frame rail caps from where the rear lower control arm mounts used to be
* 55/100 H4's

What can I say - I suspect like most of you, it is a work in progress. The important thing is that we get out and have fun with it as often as possible. Needless to say, this is not a mall cruiser. Our comfort level is pretty much that we will try anything, but this is a full bodied TOP HEAVY truck. It has been through Pritchitt Canyon, but we ended up winching a lot.

We usually wheel with a bunch of Juggies, but are also interested in seeing how other 4X4's do. I like it all; if someone is out there trying, it doesn't really matter what you drive. We decided on a Land Rover because we needed enough room to take our small family comfortably. And since I don't want to build a trailer queen (no offense intented to those of you that do trailer - I totally get it), that means driving to and from the trails with lots of stuff.

So, is anyone up for Chinaman Gulch this Saturday??

Looking forward to seeing you out there!

John T. Reichert

Brody
March 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hey John

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a sweet rig and, as far as I know, no one on here has a trailer queen, but some folks have been known to wash their rigs now and then. I even heard the talk of wax once or twice, but that may heve been about a daily driver.

I sure can't make Chinaman's, though I would like to. A bunch of our folks ran it last weekend and had a blast. Pictures are in the trail run reports.

We are having a big anniversary run on the 28th of this month. It is going to be a pretty decent family oriented run and suited for stockers on up. China Wall is the trail and we are planning on a bunch of food, etc. Check our trail run section for times and meeting places and also to see what what you may bring food wise for a contribution.

Glad that you found the site!

greenramp
March 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the forum John. Had a GREAT time up at Left hand with you last weekend. Hope to see you around again soon.

Chris
March 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome to Front Range 4x4 John, good to have you here! Sounds like you're very well equipped, nice to see it's a family truck too. Come on out to China Wall like Brody said, a good chance to meet a bunch of us!

:welcome:

Funrover
March 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Welcome to the group! Always great to see more Rovers that get used. OCG is great right now.. ran it last weekend!

Warrlord
March 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Warrlord/Misc/welcome.gif aboard

The important thing is that we get out and have fun with it as often as possible

:thunb: That's key right there

Hey John

but some folks have been known to wash their rigs now and then

Once a year whether it needs it or not :D

JeepersCreepers
March 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Pic's.... got any pic's?

Jimmy
March 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Nicely equipped Disco! Guess I'm not up on all the LR lingo - never heard of the Disco being called the short bus. :lol: But then again, I don't bleed green like some. :)

Hey, when did we get these... Brody: :brody: and Funrover: :furover: :2thumbs:

:welcome:

Pathrat
March 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Welcome! This has been a great, all-inclusive group.

I waxed my truck on my birthday, in 2007. My dad, who details for fun and relaxation, was coming out and I needed a clean rig. He was still stunned at the brush marks I couldn't hide.:D

4Runninfun
March 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
welcome, cool rig. hope to see you on the trail.

Brody
March 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Not sure when we got the other Smiley things, Jimmy. I never pay any attention to them 'cuase I don't use them...So nice to see that you find so much humor in the "Brody" and "Aaron" ones....you bet....happy for you I am....

WINKY
March 20th, 2009, 04:53 AM
you bet....happy for you I am....

i think pete just went master yoda on you...HAHAHAHAHAHA:doh:

99Disco1
March 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Thank you Brody, we look forward to wheeling with you all! I really enjoy seeing how all of the different vehicles do, and I always seem to learn something new or see a new application on a vehicle that I hadn't thought of.

1freaky1
March 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Welcome, your rig sounds pretty interesting can't wait to pics of it!

gragravar
March 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
welcome - great to see another disco here. you have lots of great mods on yours already. cant wait to see it.

Dan
March 20th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Welcome!! Probably said before but,.....any pics?;)

Jimmy
March 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
i think pete just went master yoda on you...HAHAHAHAHAHA:doh:
That would be fitting since they both use a cane. ;)

:lol:

I only hope I'm in as good of shape as Pete when I reach his age.:bow: