PDA

View Full Version : What would you do differently

gragravar
March 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
I am starting to contemplate building up the disco II and am thinking about what I would want to do to it. I came across this write up from East Coast Rovers and their work on another Disco II. It seems pretty darn complete to me. Do me a favor, give it a read and let me know if there is anything they failed to do that you would think would give benefits to wheeling here in CO. Also is there anything they did that you would have skipped. Finally, what would you have done differently.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/168.html

scout man
March 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
thats a pretty nice looking set up. Its a shame its on its way to Long Island... probably be a mall crawler most of its life. I am no expert by any means, but I think you would be in pretty good shape with that here.

4Runninfun
March 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
it looks pretty good, i would say start with a mild lift and good protection and go from there. get out wheeling and you'll quickly find what you need and what you can do without. like i tell everyone who is just starting to build a rig... your very first purchase should be sliders. the rocks are always bigger and don't forgive.

4Runninfun
March 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
also don't get the bolt on diff. guards. get the weld on ones. funrover will attest to that one!

Brody
March 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
Folks said what I would have said....

greenramp
March 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
I have a DII with 3" Rovertym, running 33" BFG, ETC... I like the build and there are small things I would change although all in all it is reliable. Kieth at RoverTracks has been working for some time on a DII axle variation and knowing that I havn't done anything to mine so that I can see what he comes up with. If he ever finishes his engine swap. I am not a big fan of the GBR stuff, although I know many people that run it.

Funrover
March 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Well that is a beauty!
What I would do different

As jon said.. No clamp on diff guards

I would use either rovertracks or rockware for tie rods and such... You gain clearnce and strength.. Not a goofy box

Not a big GBR fan either, but as Joe said a lot use it

Also keep your Yakima, no point on adding all that weight to the roof if you aren't gonna use anymore then you do now

Patrolman
March 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, real diff guards.

Also, I would get a rear bumper that holds the spare. That rear door and carrier was never made to carry a large tire. Plus, you have no room for fuel on the back now.

Sliders? Hello? They are a necessity on a nice rig. Plus what is up with the imitation bead locks? Either get them or just go with cheaper steel wheels!

Brody
March 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Imitation beadlocks? Hell, you might as well get some damn spinners.....Those are a true trailer queen bolt on....If you go with them, best go with the super blocks for a lift, lotsa chrome, custom paint with pinstripping, every bolt on you can afford, and some chrome double or triple shocks...

Anyway...beadlocks aren't needed unless you consistantly air down lower than 10 lbs...waste of good dollars otherwise...This coming from someone with beadlocks, too....I wish I had spent the money in some performance product...Like an overbored and trick throttle body or seventh injector system..or nitrous..or Mog axles...or an Atlas triple stick....The amount of money I have spent dealing with the beadlocks I have would've bought any of these....

greenramp
March 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Speaking of beadlocks....