PDA

View Full Version : I FOUND GOLD!!!!

WINKY
March 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Anyone here like to pan for gold? I started last summer, got a few days in and already found some flakes out by golden, but i want to go to where the real pickers are and nuggets. At least find more than a couple flakes in a 6 hour period of time...

Thos that do pan, we could make it a day trip and run to a spot pan for a while have lunch or make it a 2 day camping journey with panning!

Chris
March 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
You could spend the summer panning and get an ounce or so, we need to find nuggets!

Patrolman
March 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I have never tried it, but would be interested in giving it a whirl sometime. Always something that has interested me. Just for the fun of it more than anything.

Jimmy
March 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yep, I love panning. Always keep one pan in the Disco when wheeling. For Christmas, I got a Garretts panning set.

I'd like to get a gold detector and start hitting some old mining sites. I've heard about a gold shop owner in Evergreen who does this and seems to have good enough luck to keep a business going.

I headed up for a day of running around by myself and sampled several places just north of Idaho Springs and brought back a 5 gallon bucket full of sediment to pan. Haven't gotten through it all yet (haven't taken the time to do it) but so far haven't gotten anything. The "black sand" is a-plenty, but no gold yet.

I'd definitely be up for a day run somewhere to do some panning. If I had more money to spend, I wouldn't mind picking up a dredger either... they make fast work of finding gold in a creek.

WINKY
March 27th, 2009, 11:47 PM
well i think we have something that can be planned for the summer!

1freaky1
March 28th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I have not panned in years, lately my wife and I have just been going up to the old mines and rummageing thru the tailing piles and find the minerals.

WINKY
March 28th, 2009, 12:50 AM
hey even if we do that it will still be fun! gather buckets of soil, then go down to a local stream or river and pan it.

Jimmy
March 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM
hey even if we do that it will still be fun! gather buckets of soil, then go down to a local stream or river and pan it.

There's also dry panning... but I prefer playing in the water. :)

WINKY
March 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
heck yeah!

1freaky1
March 29th, 2009, 12:50 AM
sounds like some fun to me, now to get something done with the ranger so I can go!

WINKY
March 29th, 2009, 11:06 AM
you got plenty of time, this wont happen for a while

Chris
March 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Count Barb & I in on this, we spend lots of time looking for gold and stuff. it would be nice to do it with someone that knows what they're doing! In the past we talked about some rock hounding as well.

WINKY
March 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
well we will make it a camping run over a weekend, leave on a friday evening, get to a nice spot and enjoy the weekend leave out sunday afternoon. now to find a good spot with placer deposits.

1freaky1
March 30th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Last summer I hauled 3 gallan buckets of rock home to go thru from the waldorf area and a couple other places there was gold, silver, and copper in the deposits. I want to go back up there and actually check the old milling press since the building is still in great condition, don't usually go into any of the buildings tho.