PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Run Reminder

Brody
April 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hey people, it is now supposed to be Spring, even though it looks like November in Ohio outside. I wanted to do a reminder that we have a recovery mission coming up off of Medano Pass to rescue a stolen rig belonging to one of our crew here.

This rig was stolen last year and the FS found it just before the snow came down and closed the Pass. The plan is to get a group together for the rescue and recovery, spend the weekend down there running some trails and haul the rig back to where it is supposed to go. The whole run is contingent upon the pass being opened up, of course, so we should start watching for this.

I wanted to get this reminder out again so that we don't forget about it and can plan around it. This is an important run and we need to get this done.

Jamie
April 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Throw out a date Pete.

Chris
April 4th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Any guess on when the snow will clear enough to do this?

4Runninfun
April 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM
when i picked up the toy parts i told bskey that i'll be there. if possible we should do a recon trip down there to get an idea of what we'll need.

Funrover
April 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Well I think it'll be a month or so more..IMO

Jamie
April 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Find someone who knows someone who lives in that area and ask them the snow conditions. You never know, the snow could be passable now.

Funrover
April 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
My dad drives that way a bit for work... I will ask him how it has been

gm4x4lover
April 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
i am down also, i should be double locked by then.

WINKY
April 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM
im in, you can use brutus as an anchor or just string up the vehicle to a long cable and ill pull him out. lol

DETN8R
April 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I'll volunteer my winch seeing as how I have not used it yet.

Roostercruiser
April 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
i might make depands when and i have a .trailer

Brody
April 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
It might be worthwhile to contact the FS in that area directly and explain what we are going to be doing. It wouldn't be out of the question to get a 'special permit' to get in before they officially open the trail to do the recovery run. At the very least, have the FS keep you up to date as to trail opening times and dates so that we can get in there ASAP.

The reason I mentioned the special permit is that the day the Hayman Fire broke down the Goose Creek drainage (write up and pictures on a thread on this site)we were doing a rock climb (climbers lost BS write up in the Rocky Mountain News and Post) on Sheeprock. We ended up stashing some gear up there, along with some camping supplies. We approached the FS about the possibility of going into the area, although it was closed, in order to recover our lost/stashed gear for insurance purposes. Considering that this is a government agency, we expected a big 'No', but ended up getting the permit and our gear with out a bunch of crap.

Might be worth doing a little investigating. And the sooner the better. You have quite a few people on the site willing to help, including me, but the more heads up time we can get, the better.

4Runninfun
April 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
bskey had mentioned that the truck is actually on private property. I would make some calls find out who owns it and see if we can't get access and maybe make things easier.

gm4x4lover
April 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
i still would like some gps coordinates (sp??) and look at it from the sky.

itsjustdan23
April 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hey where is that pass at? If its not to far, I have a buddy who has an old military vehical ( 5 ton ) with winch. Also has a trailer too. Hes one hell of a guy. And that truck is 6 wheel drive hahahaha! Let me know please and Ill try and arange something for this recovery. He may just ask for help with fuel. Which he runs 90 percent used motor oil and 10 percent diesel. Pretty sweet eh? hahaha.

gm4x4lover
April 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
He may just ask for help with fuel. Which he runs 90 percent used motor oil and 10 percent diesel.

I have plenty of that i can help him with.

Chris
April 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Notably absent from this is the truck's owner. :erm:

Brody
April 11th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I have been noticing that he is somewhat absent from this discussion, too...

Funrover
April 14th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Bump.... for the sake of helping.

WINKY
April 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM
not sure its going to happen as the owner isnt making much effort on organizing the recovery of his vehicle...

Funrover
April 14th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I know....... :(

itsjustdan23
April 14th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Who's ride is in the gully?

Brody
April 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I am starting to think this is an absolute waste of time. I have tried to keep this going and active so that people don't forget. Just about everyone who has volunteered and offered has very limited time as it is and most of us don't have extra money to do this either. Some of us don't even have jobs...but we have all offered...and now the owner seems to have just shined this recovery and everyone that volunteered to help on. Well, I have a coupe of words for that, and I bet you all can guess what they are...

Well, I feel like I have done my part and I am tired of spending time with this. I would say that is the owner doesn't say/respond within the next week or so, just strip the whole thread. If he gets on and goes "where's all my help?" Tough s**t, dude, should've been keeping up..it is your heap in the gulley, anyway...