PDA

View Full Version : bolted foor rack for a toyota hilux 4X4

4X424/7
April 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
hello, I'm Jason And i have a Toyota Hilux Turbo Surf the four runner style. I'm planning on bolting a roof rack to my roof and was curious to know if anyone had any ideas. My biggest concern is that the roof will leak and I will have troubles with it. Can someone give me some pointers about drilling into a roof and then seeling it properly. I would like my rack to hold up to 1000 lbs 4 quarters of a moose or a boat with all its fishing gear. I can build the box myself just a little sketchy about drilling into my roof ... thanks guys J

4Runninfun
April 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM
first off we NEED some pics of your truck. also what year do you have. big difference between the fiberglass roof and a steel one. i have a rack bolted to my fiberglass top and it doesn't leak...now, lol. anyways get back to us with some details and we'll give you some better ideas.

Funrover
April 5th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Welcome!

4X424/7
April 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=128&pictureid=983

4X424/7
April 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
4runninfun Ok so I do not have a fiberglass top and I do not have gutters that run the lenght of my vehichle. I have also posted a picture of my unit in my profile picture album. thanks for your time guys. Jason :woot:

DETN8R
April 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Wow. Didn't know we had a hilux in colorado.
welcome

Chris
April 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Wow. Didn't know we had a hilux in colorado.
welcome

probably don't - it looks like he's in Kamloops, BC ;)

WINKY
April 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
describe to me what a toyota Hilux is please...? i am uneducated.

Pathrat
April 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
describe to me what a toyota Hilux is please...? i am uneducated.

It's that dusty green vehicle with four black tires and a bull bar bumper in post number four :D

4Runninfun
April 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM
hilux is simply the designation toyota uses anyplace other than the US for their trucks. in regards to your original question jason either make or find a good rack with feet. i would use some sort of rubber grommet between the feet and the roof. use a good amount of sealant. silicone usually works pretty well. and as always make sure you position it exactly where you want it, and then go for it.

Funrover
April 7th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Yakima sells sliders for their towers that you can bolt into any roof. I helped a friend do this on his rig. Worked great. Like 4runnin said just make sure to seal it when you bolt it on. My buddies never leaked in the 3 years he had it. (He also had a metal, not fiberglass top)

I don't have the best pics.. but I hope they help a little
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Off%20road%20Trips/IMG_6209.jpg

In this pic you can see the rails bolted in.. no rack!
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Off%20road%20Trips/IMG_8951.jpg

DETN8R
April 7th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Check out the Top Gear Polar Special(google it)

4X424/7
April 7th, 2009, 11:47 AM
4running fun are you suggesting that I bolt it to my roof ? What type of materials have you used on your fiberglass top ? I also had the same idea about the rubber grommet I was thinking maybe Lordco, Napa a place like that might carry themthks all of your guys input. Keep posting please I'm going to take everyones good ideas put them together to tackel this project. When I do it It will work the first time. thanks Jason :2thumbs:

4X424/7
April 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM
hilux is simply the designation toyota uses anyplace other than the US for their trucks. in regards to your original question jason either make or find a good rack with feet. i would use some sort of rubber grommet between the feet and the roof. use a good amount of sealant. silicone usually works pretty well. and as always make sure you position it exactly where you want it, and then go for it.
My hilux had actually come from overseas somewhere and has been imported. I love it good fuel millage being diesel 4 cylinder. push button 4X4 and its a 1990 lol they didnt come out with that in north america till maybe 98 anywho have a good one guys keep wheeling.