PDA

View Full Version : sat 11th sun 12th april

WINKY
April 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
So i want to get out and about, not sure what would be open now that snow has been hitting, any suggestions are welcome and i will post it up on the calendar once it is settled. :)

scout man
April 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I may be in as well. Might be working saturday, but I might be up for a run sunday. Ill post up and let you know if this seems like its gonna happen

Chris
April 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
What kind of trail do you want to do?

WINKY
April 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
one that is open, that my truck can do and isnt snowed in to the point that i need to be wenched out.... i will be looking at some trails and make a couple ideas.

Or we could do a night run somewhere... CALLING COWBOY!!! lol

i was thinking of mosquito pass or one of the passes...

dr350jja
April 5th, 2009, 11:10 PM
^^ don't think you'll get through Mosquito Pass for quite some time!!! :D

Funrover
April 5th, 2009, 11:46 PM
You won't be doing mosquito for a few more months. I wish I could join.. I will be at work. I wonder how Mt. Baldy is???? I know Eagle Rock is snowy.. so it might be closed. I will see what trails I can come up with

Funrover
April 6th, 2009, 12:40 AM
What about here

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=70

WINKY
April 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
how bout this?

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=14

Kingston Peak

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=152

Dakan rd

WINKY
April 6th, 2009, 01:00 AM
What about here

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=70

that looks way cool but dont have the gas money for that far...HAHAHAH

Roostercruiser
April 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM
im out i gonna start to pull my rear end out and try to get it welded. and i think sundays easter

Brody
April 6th, 2009, 05:25 AM
You are going to be shut down on almost all of the passes until the first part of June. I know last year was a low snow year, but Mosquito Pass had a 50' high drift across it the year before that was shutting everyone down.

I would check the FS links on the traildamage.com pages, but I think you would just be in for a road drive trying to do any pass this early....Also check out what the folks at Colorado4x4.org have run lately. They stay pretty dialed in to what is open...

WINKY
April 6th, 2009, 12:46 PM
okie

SCRubicon
April 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
how bout this?

Kingston Peak

The only way you're going to get all the way across KP before the 1st-2nd week of July in a 4x4 is if we have a major heatwave. People have been illegally diverting around the snow drifts, but the Forest Service has been handing out fines. They are keeping a close eye on the area.

WINKY
April 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
darn, i guess its a wrench party then....lol

H3_Mafia
April 6th, 2009, 05:51 PM
how bout this?

Kingston Peak

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=152

Dakan rd

These 2 look really cool to do but as others noted probably still to early in the season. Keep them in mind and I'll join you for sure sometime in the next couple of months when it warms up. :thunb:

Chris
April 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think Dakan should be open :thunb:

Gecko Cycles
April 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Slaughterhouse Gulch is always a good run in the snow and not too far and most rigs can make it.

Brody
April 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Dakan is now a highway, suitable for 2WD, since they 'improved' it. Probably not even bumpy anymore...

Yankee Hill area? Maybe Twin Cone, though that is fairly high. I am pretty sure that Kingston Peak either direction, would be impassable. It usually opens up all the way mid May or so, about the time Jenny Creek is doable.

What about Johnny Park Road, Storm Mountain, Storm Drain...any of that stuff by Estes. I was up there a couple of weeks ago rock climbing and there was hardly any snow anywhere..

Gecko Cycles
April 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
even Moody Hill and the quary

Brody
April 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Moody Hill and Crystal Mountain, Seven Mile and Kelly Flats should all be good...Thanks Ken! I talked to some folks that ran them a week or so ago..

Too long a drive for this boy...That's almost 5 hours of road time round trip, not counting the trail(s). I drive that far, I am camping...ain't got no ass to sit on ...cushions or not..

Chris
April 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Dakan is now a highway, suitable for 2WD, since they 'improved' it. Probably not even bumpy anymore...

That's true when we ran it last year, didn't think it was even the same road but it seems to deteriorate real fast, maybe it needs another month of getting washed out.

Roostercruiser
April 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
winter time your so limited to where youcan go

Pathrat
April 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
The only way you're going to get all the way across KP before the 1st-2nd week of July in a 4x4 is if we have a major heatwave. People have been illegally diverting around the snow drifts, but the Forest Service has been handing out fines. They are keeping a close eye on the area.

Good for the FS!

Roostercruiser
April 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
what about billmoore lake

Pathrat
April 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM
what about billmoore lake

Snow and more snow, I would think, judging from when we went in late October/early November.

Pathrat
April 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
winter time your so limited to where youcan go

This is why people stay inside where it is nice and WARM! :D

Gecko Cycles
April 6th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Off camber with snow drifts on Bill Moore. I winched out three times at the mine a couple of months ago. Can't imagine it is any better. Spring Creek is a no go too on the North Side.

Crystal and Moody aren't that far and over no passes. Go in from the Masonville end then left through the canyon. I'm there in an about an hour from Louisville. Go up 287.

4Runninfun
April 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
what about slaughterhouse? that's usually run-able.

WINKY
April 6th, 2009, 11:21 PM
we could just do a wrench party, i do need to do some wrenching. I just want to get out the house and enjoy good company.

scout man
April 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Well, I am out for this weekend now. Working now through at least sunday. Amazing how I can go months with very minimal work, then once I Fix up my scout I suddenly work too much to be able to use it... thats life I guess! At least it $ so I can fix it up some more!!

Funrover
April 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Illinois Gultch is open..

WINKY
April 7th, 2009, 02:21 AM
can my truck go up the moab hill if not is there a bypass? and what about the rest of the trail, would it be ok for brutus?

WINKY
April 7th, 2009, 03:49 AM
i may end up having to do something close as $ is getting lower for the pay period for gas. or might just end up wrenching and watch a movie at the theatre.

Roostercruiser
April 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM
spring is almost here . just a little longer thats what i keep telling myself.
i wanna go camping so bad also:rolleyes:

WINKY
April 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
im with ya man.

Ace
April 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I'll be watching this thread to see if you guys do something on Saturday reasonably close...

Got the itch to get out on a trail.

Chris
April 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Me too, assuming Brody & I get my shackle reversal done tomorrow I'll want a shakedown run. ;)

Chris
April 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
So i want to get out and about, not sure what would be open now that snow has been hitting, any suggestions are welcome and i will post it up on the calendar once it is settled. :)

Hey Randy - 40 posts later and no trail picked? :eek:

WINKY
April 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hey Randy - 40 posts later and no trail picked? :eek:

I have to take in consideration that i have no self recovery stuff, and what i can do, plus i have no idea even with research if stuff is passable. :p

i will have to do a run close to home as i dont have much money now that a couple bills are paid. so i am planning russel gulch. I know its not a hard core wheeling area but it gets a person out the house. Its close by and easy, maybe with snow. I will post this on the calandar.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=150

Funrover
April 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
SEEK REVENGE hahaha

Brody
April 8th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks, Chris.

I just figured out that, although I have actually read this whole thread, there really hasn't been a trail decided upon! And now it is Wednesday...and still no trail...Then it will be Thursday...and still no trail...Then Friday. Then Saturday. Then...well, hell..it's already next week and what happened????

Giving you grief, Randy...just post a damn trail up on the calendar, willya?

Chris
April 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Hey Pete, the trouble with not reading the whole thread and jumping to the last post is you miss some stuff like the trail was decided a few posts ago. ;)

1freaky1
April 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I was telling Val I want go Saturday and she pointed out about the front end is still not ready, I am thinking since Russell Gulch is pretty tame I could do ok on it, Im still considering it. And if there is snow I am without my winch too.

Chris
April 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I've got a winch, c'mon and join us! ;)

Haku
April 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Just an FYI for ya,

Scoutman and I did the Illinois Gulch Run a little while back, and its a fun little trail. Deezle, your rig might be a just a bit too long to get up Moab, but if it is it will be just barely. There is a bypass around it through some trees that you should be able to make it down or up. Steve's Scout made it down with room to spare.

The rest of the trail is fun but not challenging. There are some fun mud puddles, rock jumbles and woop de doo's, but nothing a stock SUV can't make it over. We only made it halfway through the trail before I broke my brake line, which forced us to seek new parts (unsuccesfully). Nothing better then driving around with no brakes in snowy conditions.

I know you decided on the Russel Gulch run, but I thought I'd throw in my input. I'm up for a run no matter which we make a final decision on (if that hasn't happened already). Here are some pictures of Moab Hill and such:

http://hnvgca.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pXAKBJEP0qiDfX-Mi5e_fGhi9EqLbkMTZcExlYmOCfFginClQejOpU87Y21e5vo3r Stkva3-GVZi2R4WVHR-1TA/15.jpg

http://hnvgca.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pDLyfNRJ6PGzmWlFwHzCw7S8TNZYay2roPAU_nlGeX5Tvn5b 5IGetTnOnaZvm5uBKTXvCUkQ_vLmt2YERKL2N8g/3.jpg

http://hnvgca.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pE34ui5t15I4FSdYKi9EXvcZ9k-Wi0QfA-4KL0qVT71g3ZTK6vbGgEMGPkPKKE-WUGvFyBl6RUfmkM3GnU-JsdQ/6.jpg

The rest can be seen at http://cid-6d5c6bd062842f31.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Illinois%20Gulch . The trail is about an hour to an hour and a half from the C470 and 285 junction. Its very close to Woodland Park too (10miles or so) for the C-springs people.

JH

H3_Mafia
April 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
^Cool pics! If the wife doesn't have to go into work Saturday we'll be there for Russell Gulch. :D

Roostercruiser
April 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I was telling Val I want go Saturday and she pointed out about the front end is still not ready, I am thinking since Russell Gulch is pretty tame I could do ok on it, Im still considering it. And if there is snow I am without my winch too.

is your winch reparable or do need a new one?

Roostercruiser
April 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM

is your winch reparable or do need a new one?

Gecko Cycles
April 9th, 2009, 01:54 PM
You probably won't need 4 wheel drive to go to Russel Gulch and you can take Virgina Cyn all the way to Idaho Springs. I think there is a road that ends up by Dumont. I don't know if it is open but it may be and snow is a whole nudder story. This all is an easy dirt road and a great drive. I take it very oftern when I go to Fairplay area and go over Guenella Pass out of Georgetown. Do some fishin and not in a hurry.

4Runner3Wheeler
April 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm likely out. I have to do some chores and get my rear patched and armored before getting back out.

Have fun and take pics!