PDA

View Full Version : Rust around windshield replacement law

4runner freak
April 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I tried to have the windshield on my 4runner replaced this morning, and the tech that came out to do it, said that he could pull the windshield, but if there was rust under it(in the pinch weld) he couldn't put it, or a new one back in.:mad:
He said that since it is a "safety" issue, my insurance should cover the body work to fix it.
When I called my agent, he agreed and told me to make a claim. Of course, when I called to make a claim, they said that rust is "wear and tear" and they don't cover it at all. I argued with them about the law and they just kept babbling "we will cover the windshield damage, but you have to have the rust removed"
I ended up calling the window company and a manager actually told me that it is a Federal law regarding the refusal to replace a windshield is there is rust.
So....Have any of you ever dealt with this or KNOW if this is a law?
If it is, I will demand that they pay for the body work, but if not, I will either whine and complain and try to fix it myself, pay a body shop some ungodly amount or demand that they put it in anyway.

OK, I'm done whining!

Chris
April 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Call a body shop and ask them, if it's law they'll take care of it and fight/work with your insurance company for you. Let the people who make a living at this do the fighting for you. ;)

Call Sam (owner) at Perry & Terry Auto Body, Inc in Lakewood at 303-232-7852, tell him I recommended him. They do top-quality work and are good people.

If you don't get to it until Monday ask for Joe instead. (Joe is Sam's brother and my son-in-law but taking a couple days off)

:cheers:

Chris
April 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
BTW, do get the rust fixed otherwise you'll be cracking windshields every winter if not sooner.

4runner freak
April 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Call a body shop and ask them, if it's law they'll take care of it and fight/work with your insurance company for you. Let the people who make a living at this do the fighting for you. ;)

Call Sam (owner) at Perry & Terry Auto Body, Inc in Lakewood at 303-232-7852, tell him I recommended him. They do top-quality work and are good people.

If you don't get to it until Monday ask for Joe instead. (Joe is Sam's brother and my son-in-law but taking a couple days off)

:cheers:

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable talking to someone that is taking time off from being a son-in-law:D

I'll give them a call in the morning.
Thanks Chris

Chris
April 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I don't know if I'd feel comfortable talking to someone that is taking time off from being a son-in-law:D

:lol: He's taking a few days off of everything right now.

After having their fourth kid they decided it was time for a vasectomy, being the obliging father-in-law I took him in today to get snipped.

Patrolman
April 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have the same rust problem and have comprehensive insurance, but apparently my current windshield is bullet proof. I guess they don't make windshields like they used to. I have every reason to believe this is the original 1987 windshield and I have tried everything possible to get it to crack so I can have it pulled and fix the rust while it is out.

Keep me posted as to what you find, because I might need that same info sooner or later.

Pathrat
April 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
:lol: ...I took him in today to get snipped.

To jack your thread a bit, this was funny! I love that, "get snipped", I can hear you saying it :lol:

4runner freak
April 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Well, I called Sam at Perry and Terry and he said that it may be up to $1500 for the fix, but won't be able to estimate until he sees it and know for sure until the windshield is pulled.
I'm going to try to get it to a body shop close for a quote and then if they think it isn't too bad, I'll bring it down to P&Ts.
I'm thinking about a body swap now.
The B pillar is already bent up(It got T-boned in the past and they bondoed over it) and a 4 door would be nice :)

We'll see!

Chris
April 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Well, I called Sam at Perry and Terry and he said that it may be up to $1500 for the fix, but won't be able to estimate until he sees it and know for sure until the windshield is pulled.
I'm going to try to get it to a body shop close for a quote and then if they think it isn't too bad, I'll bring it down to P&Ts.
I'm thinking about a body swap now.
The B pillar is already bent up(It got T-boned in the past and they bondoed over it) and a 4 door would be nice :)

We'll see!

Did you ask about insurance covering it?

4runner freak
April 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Did you ask about insurance covering it?

No, I didn't ask him about that.
I did ask him about the law, and he said that it is a "federal safety hazard".

Chris
April 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
So cost would be your deductible ;)

4runner freak
April 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
So cost would be your deductible ;)

I'll give him a call back and ask.
When I talked to the insurance people yesterday, they kept saying "rust is wear and tear, and we don't cover it"(I.e. we don't want to pay for anything)

billsbar
April 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I tried to have the windshield on my 4runner replaced this morning, and the tech that came out to do it, said that he could pull the windshield, but if there was rust under it(in the pinch weld) he couldn't put it, or a new one back in.:mad:
He said that since it is a "safety" issue, my insurance should cover the body work to fix it.
When I called my agent, he agreed and told me to make a claim. Of course, when I called to make a claim, they said that rust is "wear and tear" and they don't cover it at all. I argued with them about the law and they just kept babbling "we will cover the windshield damage, but you have to have the rust removed"
I ended up calling the window company and a manager actually told me that it is a Federal law regarding the refusal to replace a windshield is there is rust.
So....Have any of you ever dealt with this or KNOW if this is a law?
If it is, I will demand that they pay for the body work, but if not, I will either whine and complain and try to fix it myself, pay a body shop some ungodly amount or demand that they put it in anyway.

OK, I'm done whining!

this is true to a point. Once the W/S is out and the tech finds rust of
>24 in2 or perforated metal (rust holes) on the pinchweld he can not re-install the W/S. Now if he pulls it out and only finds surface rust that can be ground out he is able to use a metal prep stick followed my 2 coats urithane primer and then he can re-install the W/S. This is not a State law it is a federal law covered under I-CAR and the ANS/AGRSS 003-2004 Automotive Glass Replacement Safety Standard. And yes normally your insurance will call it wear and tear much like if your dash cracks or your tires wear out.

hope this answers your question

4runner freak
April 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
this is true to a point. Once the W/S is out and the tech finds rust of
>24 in2 or perforated metal (rust holes) on the pinchweld he can not re-install the W/S. Now if he pulls it out and only finds surface rust that can be ground out he is able to use a metal prep stick followed my 2 coats urithane primer and then he can re-install the W/S. This is not a State law it is a federal law covered under I-CAR and the ANS/AGRSS 003-2004 Automotive Glass Replacement Safety Standard. And yes normally your insurance will call it wear and tear much like if your dash cracks or your tires wear out.

hope this answers your question

Thanks for the info.

Chris
April 10th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Sounds more accurate than my reasoning. :erm:

billsbar
April 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I see your here in northglenn, if you want to run it by I'm happy to look at it I'm on 120th , I might be able to help you out

4runner freak
April 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I see your here in northglenn, if you want to run it by I'm happy to look at it I'm on 120th , I might be able to help you out

Where are you at? I'm at 120th and Washington.
Will you be available tomorrow at all?

billsbar
April 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
pm on the way

billsbar
April 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I met 4runner freak on Saturday, damn nice guy, he had really good things to say about this group, if everyone is like this I'm really going to like it here. And his 4runner can be saved one way or the other.

4runner freak
April 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I met 4runner freak on Saturday, damn nice guy, he had really good things to say about this group, if everyone is like this I'm really going to like it here. And his 4runner can be saved one way or the other.

Well, insurance wouldn't cover it, so Bill is going to give me a hand fixing it before I have the windshield replaced.
Now, when this happens is anther thing.