PDA

View Full Version : Russel Gulch/Yankee Hill Area

Chris
April 11th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Okay, I'll start.

Barb was looking at my pics, saw this and said "What are those guys doing?" :lol:

Chris
April 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Deezlpwr, Haku, Fred, Scout Man, and myself spent most of the day on Yankee Hill for a fun day. We didn't cover an awful lot of ground due to snow and a bit of mechanical problems. I'll let Scout Man details his mechanical issues but if I get it right it was limited to losing a shock mount and front DS which made progress rather difficult.

We ran in to Bren & Bear who were up there with their kids. Fun to run into them. We were stopped by snow and spent some time getting some good poser shots and playing in the big mud puddles.

All in all a fun day though Scout Man may not agree.

Chris
April 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
We all got plenty of pics so I'll post a couple of my truck which passed its shackle reversal test. It also passed the water test. :lol:

AboveNBeyond
April 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Were these from today??

WINKY
April 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Yeppers!!!!

http://s482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/randyrandy77/yankee%20hill/

i have 68 on there. anyone on the run want me to email the full sizers to ya pm me and tell me what rig you had. I already have dans on its way.

AboveNBeyond
April 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Damn... I went, but did not get to Hidden Valley (I think it is) till more like 1... I did not confirm because I was not positive till about 10am...

But where I went there was nothing like what you all did!

We went up into Hidden Valley, across Some road to Russell Gulch road. Drove both of them, went across OMG trail... we (wife and kids) thought that was boring and went home.

I thought we might have missed something... next time I will try harder to meat up with you all.

Oh well...

Roostercruiser
April 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
hey looks like yall had fun. randy its looks a little dfferent during the day. i like that trail because its never the same twice:thunb:

WINKY
April 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM
hey looks like yall had fun. randy its looks a little dfferent during the day. i like that trail because its never the same twice:thunb:

your right about that, i only recognized one spot!

Pathrat
April 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Very cool mud shots Chris!

Haku
April 11th, 2009, 10:13 PM
It was great time for sure. Much more challenging then I thought it would be, which is a good thing for sure. I won the award for dirtiest vehicle today, so I'm happy. Mud puddles, snow, some rock jumbles, poser pics, and a general good time were had by all. We didn't even go down Russel Gulch, which just seemed more of the same as OMG road to me. We saw both ends of it off OMG. I'm sure there are some neat sites down there, but the wheeling seemed very tame.

Randy had the best run through mud puddle for sure. Unfortunately I didn't think to get video of it till after. He got a couple feet of air and landed in the middle of the puddle rather then driving through it. I think we did get pictures though. I got video of Chris going through it though, as well as a dude in a Toyota that kind of hooked on with us. Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIX_IObyo3s&playnext=1&playnext_from=QL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ohIpucck8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud2gNYmfkeA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ohIpucck8

Enjoy.

JH

P.S. I'll take any hi res pictures that are obviously of me, or any that you want doctored up. I'm getting fairly adept at Photoshop, so feel free to send em my way.

Pathrat
April 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Holy crap! THAT LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!! Nice banzaii through the mud!

Gecko Cycles
April 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Okay, I'll start.

Barb was looking at my pics, saw this and said "What are those guys doing?" :lol:
Looks like a new Olympic event, "the Sami toss".

Just a note, the front end weighs the same as the rear. I put mine on the race scales.

Looks like you guys were having fun. I couldn't talk my GF into going there in her Explorer so we went wheelin closer to my shop. She saw pict and then said she wished she would of gone. Go figure.

Brody
April 12th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Sorry to have missed this!

I was great that you guys ran into Bear and Bren! I wanted to go, but I also want to see Jon get his ride on the road again. His ride has been down due to one problem or another for almost a year and it sounded like he was so close to getting it running...Hopefully next week will see this happen...

I took Charger down to Monument and, aside from a weird oil leak, it ran great. I actually passed 4 other cars! Of course everyone else on the road passed me! It was a little different driving a 4 banger after driving my rig and realizing that I actually have to downshift to stay around 55...

Glad to see that the SR passed the test! Nice articulation!

Chris
April 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I won the award for dirtiest vehicle today, so I'm happy..

Here's a pic to prove it.

Chris
April 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I didn't get as many pics as i thought but here are some poser shots.

Chris
April 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM
And some puddle play pics

Chris
April 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Finally one for Dan so he can see what his truck looks like flexing a bit on the trail

Funrover
April 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Great pics!!! looks like a great time

Warrlord
April 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Looks like a nice area, I hope check it out this Year.

Man, I wish I could get out more often.

Dan
April 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Finally one for Dan so he can see what his truck looks like flexing a bit on the trail

Thanks Chris,

Its nice to see what's actually going on from an outside view :thunb:

Dan
April 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I had a great time yesterday...thanks for the fun! My daughters were dissapointed that they couldn't go...we all look forward to the next one! :2thumbs:

WINKY
April 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM
ill be running most every weekend.....its just me so i have nothing better i want to do than play in muh big truck!

Chris
April 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM
remember to post whatever plans you have to the calendar!

WINKY
April 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM
got it boss!

AboveNBeyond
April 12th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I am still just flat out bummed... :(

So here is what happened to me on Saturday...

Woke up and went to have the rangie serviced (oil change)

10am oil changed completed, but had to run a couple errands before wheeling.

1pm made it to Hidden Valley (not Idaho Springs) We then went up to the cemetary looking for the roads that lead to OMG trail...

1:45 found Russell gulch and drove both upper and lower looking for OMG trail. Coming from Hidden valley when I hit the pavement I kept turning around... then found a local and they steered me straight.

2:30 was down to Idaho Springs and wondering what we missed. lol

I sure wish I met up with you all, it sounds like you all went the opposite direction and also had a great time.

I will be looking for what trail is up for next weekend. :thunb:

1freaky1
April 12th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Pics and vid turned out great guys!!! I cant believe how much those areas have changed sine I was up there 1-1/2yrs ago.

Brody
April 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Okay, I'll start.

Since everyone else is so polite and I have heard that I am not, nor am I considered PC by any but the most delusionary, I will add my comment...

What is a small Sammi going to look like with 3 human heads? Will it have legs and feet or wheels and tires? Is it going to be male...will, I would guess so with three future fathers doing the deed...What is it going to have for an engine? What, exactly, is anyone guessing the gestation time is going to be?

Three more:
The future fathers thing might be null and void..did you guys use protection?
Why in the world did you let anyone take a picture?
Is this some new 'male bonding' thing?

I actually felt a little sorry for the Sammi...you don't see this happening to bigger vehicles...

Chris
April 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
:lol: What she actually said is "Are those three guys taking a pee? Looks like the 4th guy doesn't want to miss the fun!"

Dan
April 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I actually felt a little sorry for the Sammi...you don't see this happening to bigger vehicles...

Actually you do! :lol::lol:

WINKY
April 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
thats one way to change a tire.:doh:

Pathrat
April 12th, 2009, 06:33 PM
RANDY!!! That poor tailpipe! What were you thinking???

*Great reply Brody :lol:

WINKY
April 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
umm.... i dont know what your talking about.... i am single you know so it was fair game.:rolleyes:

Brody
April 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Well Randy..there is being close to your truck...and then there is being close to your truck...I guess it is all how you interpet things....

Are you still friends and have respect for each other? That's the most important part....

WINKY
April 12th, 2009, 07:41 PM
i plead the 5th. but as far as Haku's rig i havent gotten a call back for another date... last time i hit on suzuki's.

Haku
April 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hey...it got a little drunk on all that mud and made a bad call. I gave it bath today and its feeling much better.......doesn't even remember what happened.

jh

H3_Mafia
April 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Great pics/vids you guys. Looked to be a great time!

scout man
April 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
All in all a fun day though Scout Man may not agree.

ah, a few broken parts can't ruin a trip to the mountains. Still had a great time getting out, seeing how the new setup drives (not that well) and finally meeting some people... now I don't feel crazy talking to my computer all the time, I am a little more convinced there are actually real people on the other end. I will finish my discussions on my build thread, since it seems as though the discussion has started for me!

Roostercruiser
April 13th, 2009, 08:13 PM
steve after your SOA do you still recomend it or should i do reg lift kit on our scout?

scout man
April 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
steve after your SOA do you still recomend it or should i do reg lift kit on our scout?

I think I still recommend it. I will have a better answer to that question after I iron out some of these bugs. I actually thing I am having issues with mine that you wont have with yours. For example, no one ever has issues with the rear shaft, and for some reason I did. Also, Scoutfam switched to the same double cardogan in the front as I did and never had problems with it, while I am for some reason having binding issues. All in all though I am really happy with the ride height, and I think it leaves a lot of options open for down the road if I chose to change some things around. It didn't cost a lot and made huge results. I will answer this question again though in a few weeks. All in all I thing this resulted in a lot better setup then lift springs would.

WINKY
April 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM
scout man, did you get your driveline angle set correctly when doing the soa swap? if you didnt shim it to point up a little extra it would be pulling the whole driveline down with it and cause the bind..? jsut a thought i could be wrong.

scout man
April 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Yea, in the scout you have to cut and turn the front axle. The pinoin points straight at the transfer case. angles should be set

Gecko Cycles
April 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM

It seems that Sami's are very desirable or just plain easy!
I have several pictures of 3 or more involved in unprotected acts on a Sammy. I found one.
Got to get back to the cage install.

Ace
April 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
It seems that Sami's are very desirable or just plain easy!
I have several pictures of 3 or more involved in unprotected acts on a Sammy. I found one.
Got to get back to the cage install.

I remember pushin that Sammy up whale rock... I volunteered to push on the back but they said I'd only leave room for one more guy :D