PDA

View Full Version : 22-RE help

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I have my truck running now but with a few problems...

first absolutely no power i have to put it in 4WD lo just to make it back up the driveway.

second when first opening the throttle it misses. as the RPM's increase it gets better.

third at idle the motor shakes pretty good, much more than normal.

This is getting pretty irritating. i checked and reset my TPS today at least 3 or 4 times just to make sure. also re-timed it just to make sure. pulled the injectors and measured their resistance and was getting ~2.5 ohms which is within spec according to the FSM. anything that you guys can think of to check? any idea is a good idea right now no matter how small.

Brody
April 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I have my truck running now but with a few problems...

first absolutely no power i have to put it in 4WD lo just to make it back up the driveway.

second when first opening the throttle it misses. as the RPM's increase it gets better.

third at idle the motor shakes pretty good, much more than normal.

This is getting pretty irritating. i checked and reset my TPS today at least 3 or 4 times just to make sure. also re-timed it just to make sure. pulled the injectors and measured their resistance and was getting ~2.5 ohms which is within spec according to the FSM. anything that you guys can think of to check? any idea is a good idea right now no matter how small.

I PM'd you with Bears contact info. He is dialed in as well as anyone I know as far as 22R/RE engine stuff goes. Sorry to hear that the timing chain stuff wasn't the full problem, though at least it is now running...

Dan
April 14th, 2009, 06:11 PM
sounds like a spark problem. Check wires, cap, rotor, plugs...I've had bad plugs right out of the box...Champion seem to be the worst for that

as far as 22-re goes...??? is that a 4 banger?

Chris
April 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm assuming you've more than covered the usual and are looking for something a bit more obscure. How about distributor gear slipping due to wear? I've heard it's hard to detect my looking but may be something to check if you haven't already.

Brody
April 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM
as far as 22-re goes...??? is that a 4 banger?[/QUOTE]

The 22R/RE is Toyotas version of half a Chevy 350 with the bottom built to diesel specs. Not much power, but well built and will run up to 300,000 + miles before low end problems. There are also a zillion of the things out there. One of those 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' engines that the manufacturers actually left pretty much alone...Chevy 350, Ford 351, AMC/Jeep 258, ...there are a few more...

DOA and URD both race 1,000+ hp versions of this engine, so you can crank them up a bit. But with only 4 cylinders, you gotta have it running right to do much of anything....

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
brody i didn't get a pm from you. if you could try again. i just bought a set of plugs wires switched out the cap and rotor with another one i had lying around. no change.

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
just swapped out dist. no change.

Patrolman
April 14th, 2009, 09:07 PM
If you are suffering a power loss THAT severe, I would say you might have something wrong with the cam timing, particularly based on the fact you had the chain off. If you get it off 1 tooth, the valve timing is then off. It is gonna run horrible. Check the compression on it. If it is low, you likely are off a tooth or more.

I bought a Miata that had a belt off a couple teeth and it wouldn't even start. Needless to say, I got it cheap. Knew what to do and had it fixed in a couple hours. Let me know if you need any help/advice. Happy to call.

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 09:14 PM
well here's the other thing which is infuriating it's doing exactly what it did before i tore everything down. and when putting the chain back on i made DAMN good and sure to put the bright links lined up with the dimples in both the cam gear and the lower gear. but checking compression is easy enough i'll go ahead and do it.

Patrolman
April 14th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Ah-ha. I didn't know that you were having trouble beforehand. Are you getting spark on all 4 cylinders? Make sure you are getting voltage to each injector. Make sure the fuel pressure is sufficient. Also, AFM is working right. Those will really get you. Also make sure that you don't have any loose connections or breaks in the intake tube. Spray some carb cleaner in the area and see if the RPM goes up. If so, you have a hole in the intake hose.

I also have the FSM if you don't have a copy. Super-handy.

Jamie
April 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I had a very similar problem with my Jeep. I would time the dam thing and when I would check it again it was off by 15 degrees. I found enough play in the dist shaft and the roll pin holding the gear on that it just would not stay timed. Maybe not your problem but something to check.

Another time I had the ECM going flaky and it would run great one minute and like crap the next. Seemed to be as it got hotter.

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
i did swap the ECU out with another one i have. i didn't notice any play in the dist. shaft i did try to rock the rotor back and fourth and it seamed pretty tight.

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
compression test checked out fine ~120 across the board.

Patrolman
April 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Fuel filter?

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
how do you check the fuel PSI? since there isn't a pressure fitting on the rail i wasn't to sure how to go about doing this.

Patrolman
April 14th, 2009, 10:38 PM
You likely will need a PSI gauge and pop off the fuel line from the rail and slide it on and then re-attach the fuel line. Procedure should be in the FSM if you need it. Frankly, I usually pop off the line, have someone turn the engine over while I hold my thumb over the line. If it builds good solid pressure, I call it good. Crude, but always worked in a pinch.

JKimmel
April 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
knock sensor hooked up?

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM
yup

cruiser51
April 15th, 2009, 08:07 AM
sounds like a vacume leek some were to me. just did the same thing to my sons car. replaced the heads with biger ones we couldnt ceep it runing or idling at all if you gave it gass it ran it ran. we cept playing with the timing didnt do any thing. on the intake there is a cover plate on the botom he for got to put it on go figure. check all your air lines.

4Runninfun
April 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM
finally made some progress today, and i didn't even shoot the *******!

found most of the problem the #3 injector wiring isn't good. moved the wiring around a bit and was able to make contact. time to get the iron and solder out.

in addition now that the engine runs pretty smoothly i found that the #4 injector is making a LOUD tapping. i can hear it while driving. i have an injector in my parts bin i'm gonna swap it out and see if that makes a difference as well. i figure i'm at about 90% power right now. and with the little 4 banger i need all the power i can get!

4Runninfun
April 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
opps double post....:wrench:

Chris
April 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Good to hear Jon! Sounds like you're almost there! :thunb:

billsbar
April 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM
finally made some progress today, and i didn't even shoot the *******!

found most of the problem the #3 injector wiring isn't good. moved the wiring around a bit and was able to make contact. time to get the iron and solder out.

in addition now that the engine runs pretty smoothly i found that the #4 injector is making a LOUD tapping. i can hear it while driving. i have an injector in my parts bin i'm gonna swap it out and see if that makes a difference as well. i figure i'm at about 90% power right now. and with the little 4 banger i need all the power i can get!

as a Samurai owner I can say amen to that!!!!

Patrolman
April 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Glad that you were able to track it down. Sometimes these things can be hard to diagnose.

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Now that is some damn good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can do the run, keep in mind the invitation to stay over Sunday for you and yours...

4Runninfun
April 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
one of the diagnostic tools i used was my long skinny screwdriver. put the tip on the injector and put my ear on the handle could hear the injectors that were working and could also hear the one that wasn't. cool trick.

has anyone here had their injectors professionally cleaned? how much did it run ya and where did you go. i think in general it'd be a good idea for me to do.

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Jon, I posted this in the Tech section sometime last year. I haven't used them, but they have a good rep and I think Joe Marino has used them before. They are supposed to be one of the best with decent prices and a quick turn around time.

For quality fuel injector cleaning go to these guys:

http://www.witchhunter.com

I have 6 injectors out of my 3.4L V6. Are these the same that you need? These are the stock ones, I am running the modified Bosch's right now...Holler if they will help out...