PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Gultch, Long Hollow,Missouri Gultch and..

Funrover
April 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I want to go.. I am getting the itch... all in one day... just not sure when.. anyone else?

Missouri -http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=219

Illinois -http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=222

Fern - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=221

Long Hollow -http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=153

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Sounds good to me - pick a date and I bet plenty will agree it would be a fun day!

Funrover
April 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I figure with the exception of Illinois is prety mucha scenic cruise day!

4Runninfun
April 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
i'm in!

Funrover
April 18th, 2009, 05:34 PM
After yesterday I am thinking of waiting a couple weeks.... Rampart had more snow than I thought

Brody
April 18th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Post it up! I want to go!

Funrover
April 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Point taken... Trip is on the Calendar MAY 10!!!! :thunb:

H3_Mafia
April 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
You can count me in also. :D

Funrover
April 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM
SO Jess and I want to camp the night before.... anyone know of some good free camping areas up that way?

Funrover
April 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Looking at the map... perhaps Hotel Gultch also?? I have never done any of these... anyone else?

gm4x4lover
April 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM
sounds like a plan. i think i could catch this one my self.

Funrover
April 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah I try to do Sunday runs so more people can go... Sat can get trricky!

Brody
April 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM
SO Jess and I want to camp the night before.... anyone know of some good free camping areas up that way?

That whole area is so filled with side roads and two tracks that end up on ridge tops, that you shouldn't have any problems finding a spot to camp ...anywhere. Just get there early enough to find and claim a spot. Grab a bunch of deadfall aspen the first bunch of it you see as camp spots will be pretty well stripped clean.

If you claim a spot and some party people all of a sudden want to camp 30 feet away, when they can easily camp 300 feet or more away, bring out the guns and do the drunken redneck 'yeehaa, lets do some get down' loud shouts and shots all over the place...you will soon have a nice quiet camp site again...Oh..and the bigger the gun the better...something like a 44 or 50 or 30-06 or 223 or 12 guage that reverberates up and down the valleys seem to work very well...No one in their right mind wants to camp next to that....

Funrover
April 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Anti aircraft? LOL maybe a bit overkill. I figure I will look for a spot off of Rainbow Falls road near a meeting spot... That way we can all meet at the toaster hahahaha

Roostercruiser
April 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM
i wish i could go but im bed.by noon on sundys, and off to KC by 6 pm

JeepersCreepers
April 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
I plan on going. Wish I could get sat off to go camping. I haven't been in over a year and I'm itchin for some camping. Maybe I can get off work early saturday and meet someone somewhere.

Funrover
April 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
We are gonna camp by all of the trailheads and won't go up till SAT. Since the run is Sunday I think we will be fine!

seangillis11b
April 25th, 2009, 05:55 PM
im in im getting cabin fever. my soon to be ex-wife went to fla and i have the kids and cant do much but she will be back on the 3rd. i cant wait to finally hit the trails with you guys.

Funrover
April 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Cool... It will be mostly easy just as an FYI to all!

seangillis11b
May 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
where are we meeting at

4Runninfun
May 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
the springs group usually meets at the mcdonalds in woodland park. i'll be coming in from a completely backasswards direction so you'll have to see who all is going and meet with them.

seangillis11b
May 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
ok well if anyone can tell me what time ill be there

4Runninfun
May 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
I get off work at 6am so i'm hoping to be on the trail by 7:30-8am

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hey all of us Denver people: Anyone have ideas on a meet spot? I have never been down there so I don't know of any.

What time?

Aaron
May 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hey all of us Denver people: Anyone have ideas on a meet spot? I have never been down there so I don't know of any.

What time?

I second that and need to know when and where.

4Runninfun
May 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
i'll be leaving I-25 and Arapaho road at six so if the denver people want to meet somewhere around there we can caravan. I was just playing around illinois gulch so i know where it is now.

Chris
May 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Six? Yikes!

I-25 & Arapahoe sounds good, where? IIRC there's a Target there.

4Runninfun
May 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah unfortunately since i'm working graveyards now if i'm gonna make any runs they've gotta be early. 6 is when i get off work. When i go to work tomorrow i'll look for a good meeting spot and report back.

78bronco
May 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
well i for one cant wait to meet everybody out there! hey maybe you guys can help me get some pics for my profile while we are out too!

Brody
May 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
No problem with the pictures. I think everyone on the site has cameras and likes to take pictures....

My rolled truck picture in my album is of a 77F150 that I was down to the point of doing a custom aluminum dash in. Good shot of all the under carriage work in the photo, but it was trick truck rolling on 38 Cepecks and who knows how much lift. Locked F/R, tricked out tranny, bored 30 over, trick pistons, RV cam, port matched, Holly Pro Jection, yada, yada...shouldv'e spent some $$ on a roll cage...

Anyway, I saw you had a 78 Bronco..can do a lot with that, some of it real inexpensive..This truck was the last 4x that I ever put a nice paint job on...

78bronco
May 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
can you do a good amount of welding and such? eventually i want to do a full exo on it but i want to keep the top removable at the same time. i saw the pic of that one too and everything still looked pretty straight

Whitey Jr
May 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Im in and i might be able to find a few others to go as well:thunb: and for the folks in denver its the target right

Chris
May 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
I don't think I'm going to make the crack of dawn (anything before 9am in my book) and wonder if anyone can give a spot where I might be able to meet up with y'all.

:princess: says, "It's Mother's Day and I get to sleep in a bit!"

itsjustdan23
May 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
You folks have fun, My truck is disabled. And I work that day. Take alot of pictures for me. Ill join the fun that way. Good luck. Have fun. And keep at least 3 wheels on the ground! lol Ok, maybe 2 wheels.

4Runninfun
May 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Chris these trails are off hwy 67. about 10mi outside of woodland park. easily within cell range. so whenever you get up there i'm sure a quick phone call wouldn't be that big of a deal. Also we're always on CB channel 4.

78bronco
May 4th, 2009, 12:42 AM
so does anyone know what time to meet at mcds on sunday?

Brody
May 4th, 2009, 06:28 AM
can you do a good amount of welding and such? eventually i want to do a full exo on it but i want to keep the top removable at the same time. i saw the pic of that one too and everything still looked pretty straight

Yep...sent you a PM or email..

Funrover
May 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I will be camping near the trailhead...Look for the toaster!

Chris
May 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Chris these trails are off hwy 67. about 10mi outside of woodland park. easily within cell range. so whenever you get up there i'm sure a quick phone call wouldn't be that big of a deal. Also we're always on CB channel 4.

Thanks Jon :thunb:

Rovers4now
May 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know the expected time line for for this mothers day trip? Where does everyone meet.

WINKY
May 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
yeah someone needs to update the calendar with meet place and time please.

Chris
May 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Check the thread, I'm pretty sure Funrover mentioned 7:30 at some point.

Brody
May 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know the expected time line for for this mothers day trip? Where does everyone meet.

I was about to post the same question....

WINKY
May 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Check the thread, I'm pretty sure Funrover mentioned 7:30 at some point.

nope no mention of time or commited meet place.

there are 5 days to get this coordinated... denver people need to meet somewhere and then head down to where ever the first trail will be (i dont know) and at what time to meet south and north groups...

Chris
May 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Jon said he'll be at the trailhead at 7:30

4Runninfun
May 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Brody i'm leaving arapahoe and I-25 at 6:15am

Rovers4now
May 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks Chris,
Not sure how I missed that part. We'll be leaving from Chatfield/C-470 area about 0600hrs. Probably take C-470> 85 S> Castle Rock> I-25 S> C-Spgs> cut C-spgs short & go by Garden of the Gods to H-24 W.> 67N. Unless we're starting out on the Sedalia side up Dakan Rd. which kinda makes more sense to me. But this is our first one with all of you guys so I'll follow, just let me know.

Yon, kyle & Sean

4Runninfun
May 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
i'm taking 67 out of sedalia. it will be much faster.

Funrover
May 4th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think if the COS group meets at McD's in woodland park 7:30/ 8:00 and go from there to the trailhead. I have no order on trails because I have not done any of them. Jon will lead the first trail of Illinois Gultch after that I figured it was an explore time run. I will be camping close to where 3 of the 4 trails meet so I will meet you all at the trail area (Rainbow falls road right off HWY 67).

WINKY
May 5th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Jon,

how bout us denver peeps meet somewhere on 470 and convoy down. i am right at 6th and 70/470 so i can meet you like morrison conico gas station at time x... let me know.

Rovers4now
May 5th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I'm @ Chatfield and Wads. Would you guys be interested in meeting me @ 470 & 85 or Wads & 470 for that matter. how early are you lookin at getting out?

Rovers4now
May 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Oh crap, I didn't realize how late ...... or early it was. I'm going to go pretend like I don't have insomnia and go lay down next to my wife. I
ll talk to you guys tomorrow ........ or today, I guess.

WINKY
May 5th, 2009, 02:12 AM
my status changed to maybe, if i get a check in the mail im waiting for i should be able to go for gas cost but if i dont get it i cant go.:(

Brody
May 5th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Unless we're starting out on the Sedalia side up Dakan Rd. which kinda makes more sense to me. But this is our first one with all of you guys so I'll follow, just let me know. Yon, kyle & Sean

Every time I have taken anything going via Sedalia, unless it is for something very close to the foothills (like Dakan), it adds about an hour onto the drive. We agreed to take that way when we met for the Metberry Gulch run and it took absolutely forever to get there. No one returned home that way...

I have rock climbed extensively throughout the whole Pike National Forest and South Platte Valley (like since 1970)...going anywhere through Sedalia except for Dakan and Jackson Creek/Lost Valley Dome Area is a waste of time...not to mention boring and slow...probably not bad if you take about 10,000mg of Thorazine, Zanax ,or Prozac daily...

We will probably caravan down via I25 South through CO Springs>24 if everyone else is going that way. 285>Pine Junction>Deckers>Woodland Park is faster by about 30 minutes drive time though, and saves the grind through CO Springs, but we are on the NW end of Denver, too..

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....lets peg down a meeting time and place. I think Rovers4now should post it as he seems to be the farthest south..Though keep in mind that the Parker Area folks will be doing the straight down I25 routine whereas the other people may very well do the back way and pick up I25 at Castle Rock...

Funrover
May 5th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I put up a meeting place on the calendar. Rainbow Falls Parking lot off of hwy 67 at 8:15

4Runninfun
May 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....lets peg down a meeting time and place. I think Rovers4now should post it as he seems to be the farthest south..Though keep in mind that the Parker Area folks will be doing the straight down I25 routine whereas the other people may very well do the back way and pick up I25 at Castle Rock...

Good point brody, now that you mentioned you're right that is a very slow drive through there. So for all denver peeps lets meet at the village inn, in castle rock. it's right off the wolfensbeger exit on the west side can't miss it. lets say 6:30 be gone by 6:45 which should put us at the trailhead by 8-8:15.

Swath
May 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I like Maps. Google Earth is your pal...:thunb:
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/Swath_bucket/4%20Trails/?action=view&current=4trails.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/Swath_bucket/4%20Trails/4trails.jpg

Swath
May 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Me N Lisa will be there.

I want to take the 285 > 126 > 67 route.

Actually, I am considering camping Sat night, Lisa has to work till 3 Saturday so I MIGHT head up that evening when she gets off.

Got a "meet at the trail head" time estimation?
Never mind, I see 8-8:15 at the trail head....:thunb:

4Runninfun
May 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM
thanks for that map swath makes everything very clear.

Funrover
May 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
We should try and choose a route...idea of what way to go.. or should we just wing it? Explore if you will

Swath
May 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM
We should try and choose a route...idea of what way to go.. or should we just wing it? Explore if you will

If I could suggest one option: [Edited based on Funrover's comment]

1. Illinois Gulch up to Missouri then back down to the start of Long Hollow (weeding out "issues"),

2. Long Hollow to S. Rampart Range Rd

3. S. Rampart Range Rd to Fern Creek trail.

3. Fern Creek back to Missouri Gulch

5. Missouri Gulch up and around southish to 67.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/Swath_bucket/4%20Trails/4trails.jpg

This route would cover all the trails with very little backtracking.

Just my :2c:

Funrover
May 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM
We are doing Illinois First just incase any issues arise on mini moab we are gonna start on the harder stuff!

Swath
May 5th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Would you guys mind if a noob tags along? I've done my fair share of off-roading, but it's been quite a few years. I've done Metburry, Longwater, and Hacket here in Colorado and have done quite a few trails in Moab, but again, that was almost 10 years ago. I used to have a 95, 98 and 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but just got a 2006 VW Touareg a couple of weeks ago. I'm itching to do some off-roading. I wouldn't be able to camp, but would be down for meeting Sunday morning.

This group always welcomes new folks (like me!).

Illinois Gulch will give you the most trouble I imagine, not sure how a Touareg does off road, I'm pretty sure you can handle the three trails rated as 2s. If the Illinois Gulch (rated 4/6) gives you trouble you can turn around and meet up with us for the last 3 trails. IMHO, you will be fine and have a great ride.

I say join on in!

Swath
May 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I'll pass on Illinois Gulch -- don't think I'm modded enough for that. Maybe I can meet you guys on the next trail?

I always say you should at least poke your nose into it to have a look see.

The way these trails run, there is no question you could easily meet up with us at some point if you decide to pass on Illinois Gulch. Kind of dependant the sequence in which we decide to run the trails.

WINKY
May 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
im sure you can go there, park and ride along and someone can drive ya back..?

Brody
May 5th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Me N Lisa will be there.

I want to take the 285 > 126 > 67 route.

Actually, I am considering camping Sat night, Lisa has to work till 3 Saturday so I MIGHT head up that evening when she gets off.

Got a "meet at the trail head" time estimation?
Never mind, I see 8-8:15 at the trail head....:thunb:

Let me know what you guys are going to do. I would much rather take that route (we probably will anyway and just meet everyone at the trailhead) as it is by far the fastest way to that area from the west side of Denver. We always go that way to do any climbing around Woodland PArk and anything off of Woodland on Rampart Range Road. It is AT LEAST 40 minutes faster than doing the tedious I25>I24 routine...not to mention a prettier drive.

Whitey Jr
May 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
im still a little lost on the meeting place for the denver guys. i read through it but after a long day at work im easily confused. lol.

I also believe i have done one of these trails and know the way there. but then again i dont kno the name of the trail just the way to get to it.

Swath
May 5th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I am driving from Lafayette, I won't be camping out so I will be leaving Sunday morn.

For anybody that wants to join me, I will be LEAVING from the parking area (a Gas station is on that corner) on the NW corner of Ralston Road (58th) and Wadsworth at 6:00am. That means be there early enough to leave AT 6:00. (2 hour drive time according to Google) Let me know if anyone wants to join up with us Sunday morn...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=39.80219,-105.07829&daddr=S+US-285+to:CO-67&hl=en&geocode=%3BFeTwWgIdgCe5-Q%3BFeAiVQIdHie8-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&via=1&sll=39.802214,-105.077775&sspn=0.002151,0.004807&ie=UTF8&ll=39.468005,-104.765625&spn=1.106794,2.460938&t=h&z=9

Southern Denverites probably want to take the southern route through the Springs. Somebody should post up a time/meet spot for this group.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=39.554354,-104.869995&daddr=CO-67&hl=en&geocode=%3BFeAiVQIdHie8-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=11&sll=39.546941,-104.872742&sspn=0.276386,0.615234&ie=UTF8&ll=39.300299,-104.867249&spn=1.109456,2.460938&t=h&z=9

4Runninfun
May 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
im still a little lost on the meeting place for the denver guys. i read through it but after a long day at work im easily confused. lol.

I also believe i have done one of these trails and know the way there. but then again i dont kno the name of the trail just the way to get to it.

Yes you have. what we are calling illinois gulch is what you and chris were calling rainbow falls.

Funrover
May 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Would you guys mind if a noob tags along? I've done my fair share of off-roading, but it's been quite a few years. I've done Metburry, Longwater, and Hacket here in Colorado and have done quite a few trails in Moab, but again, that was almost 10 years ago. I used to have a 95, 98 and 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but just got a 2006 VW Touareg a couple of weeks ago. I'm itching to do some off-roading. I wouldn't be able to camp, but would be down for meeting Sunday morning.

You are more than welcome. If you don't want to drive Illinois We will park your Tourag by may camper and come back for the rest of the trails. I will have an open back seat if no one else has a front seat for you!

Whitey Jr
May 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Yes you have. what we are calling illinois gulch is what you and chris were calling rainbow falls.

no problem thats just what the guy told us it was when we were trying to find it. im definatly in then i love that place

Whitey Jr
May 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
You are more than welcome. If you don't want to drive Illinois We will park your Tourag by may camper and come back for the rest of the trails. I will have an open back seat if no one else has a front seat for you!

not sure about the front seat yet still seeing if my girls going with but i deffinatly have another open rear seat

Swath
May 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks -- I appreciate that. Also, when do you guys think we'll be finished? Sunday is Mother's day and need to be back in town by 3-4ish. Is that realistic?

There will be a number of opportunities to bail out if it starts getting to late for ya.

4Runninfun
May 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
i'll be bailing after illinois, i gotta work graveyard later that night so i gotta get home and get my beauty sleep. lol

Swath
May 5th, 2009, 10:10 PM
i'll be bailing after illinois, i gotta work graveyard later that night so i gotta get home and get my beauty sleep. lol

Graveyard shift blows, I spent too many years of my life on the night shift.:(
It can git ya away from a lot of the jerks though. Of course, when I worked the night shift it wasn't straight nights, it was always rotating shifts which is worse.

4Runninfun
May 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM
oh man rotating nights? no thanks. i could rotate days and swing but not nights i'd never get a decent nights sleep again.

Screweder
May 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Graveyard shift blows, I spent too many years of my life on the night shift.:(
It can git ya away from a lot of the jerks though. Of course, when I worked the night shift it wasn't straight nights, it was always rotating shifts which is worse.
Did that here for a while... Killer. This months gonna suck... 12 hour shifts, working day shifts, and still doing my graves...

Rovers4now
May 5th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I think the Village in meeting in Castle rock is a great idea. I'm originally from the C-Spgs/Woodland Park area and originally thought "the front way" would be quicker, but got some negative feed back when I originally mentioned it. There is a little short cut through C-Spgs that will cut 10 or 15 minutes off drive time as well. This should work out pretty good as my mother still live in WP.

If any one is interested in meeting before Castle Rock we'll be heading down 85 about 0600 hrs.

Screweder
May 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I hate you all!!! Not really, but I'm definately jealous I can't go.

Rovers4now
May 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Don't hate Screweder, we'll be happy to take plenty of pictures so you can feel like your right in the middle of it...................even though you wont be.

sorry, couldn't resist:thunb:

Rovers4now
May 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Well I'm starting another 48 tomorrow, I suppose I should go pretend to sleep again. I'll be lookin forward to my 96 and some wheelin. Not too crazy though, I can't afford to break anything this go around.

Screweder
May 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Don't hate Screweder, we'll be happy to take plenty of pictures so you can feel like your right in the middle of it...................even though you wont be.

sorry, couldn't resist:thunb:
Rub it in....

Funrover
May 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM

You can't get enough sleep to help your case.. but I guess it never hurts to try..LOL :lol:

Funrover
May 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Well I'm starting another 48 tomorrow, I suppose I should go pretend to sleep again. I'll be lookin forward to my 96 and some wheelin. Not too crazy though, I can't afford to break anything this go around.

Illinois is the only one that could cause damage.

Whitey Jr
May 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I hate you all!!! Not really, but I'm definately jealous I can't go.

you should be... lol youll have to catch the next one... its nice seeing how just a little mud and dirt makes and eh day a oh yea its a great day

4Runninfun
May 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
is anyone besides rovers gonna be meeting me in castle rock? i'd like to get an idea of who to expect.

Brody
May 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM
is anyone besides rovers gonna be meeting me in castle rock? i'd like to get an idea of who to expect.

LaDawn and I are hooking up with Swath and going in the back way, so we will meet everyone at the trail head. I thought that there was going to be a slew of folks meeting you in Castle Rock..like most of the rest of the Denver bunch...

Swath
May 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Scuse the repeat:

For anybody that wants to join us, we will be LEAVING from the parking area (a Gas station is on that corner) on the NW corner of Ralston Road (58th) and Wadsworth at 6:00am. That means be there early enough to leave AT 6:00. (2 hour drive time according to Google) Let me know if anyone wants to join up with us Sunday morn... We are heading out 285 to Pine Junction then South through Deckers.

According to Google, this route is 73.8 miles and will take 1 hr 59 min.
Through the Springs it would be 105 miles and take 2 hrs 5 min. Different story completely if you are futher East and or South.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=39.80219,-105.07829&daddr=S+US-285+to:CO-67&hl=en&geocode=%3BFeTwWgIdgCe5-Q%3BFeAiVQIdHie8-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&via=1&sll=39.802214,-105.077775&sspn=0.002151,0.004807&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=39.468005,-104.765625&spn=0.973202,2.068176&z=9

So far it looks like me&Lisa, Jim&Lori, and Brody&Ledawn leaving from here. Let me know if you want to modify anything here, place or time?

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Any idea when you'll be at 285 in Pine Junction? I'm going to try to make it but may not be able to that early. The only times I've been in the Rainbow Falls area I reached it through trails from the east. Looking at the maps I suggest anyone coming from Denver metro not use I-25. See the maps to see why, 1st is Pete's and the 2nd is from Castle Rock - I hate going south to go north.

Swath
May 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Any idea when you'll be at 285 in Pine Junction? I'm going to try to make it but may not be able to that early. The only times I've been in the Rainbow Falls area I reached it through trails from the east. Looking at the maps I suggest anyone coming from Denver metro not use I-25. See the maps to see why, 1st is Pete's and the 2nd is from Castle Rock - I hate going south to go north.

Pine Junction at 6:42 according to Google and leaving right at 6:00 am.

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Pine Junction at 6:42 according to Google and leaving right at 6:00 am.

Thanks Swath! If i'm not there keep going and I try to catch up some time during the run. :thunb:

Swath
May 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks Swath! If i'm not there keep going and I try to catch up some time during the run. :thunb:

Of course, Google doesn't know I drive a Sami with a 1.3, and there are a few hills to git over....

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM
What are the choices? Aerial, Map, Highways, now? Send them a suggestion to add Sami as another choice. :rolleyes: Probably be about the same for old Land Cruisers too.

Swath
May 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Sure is quite in this thread considering the ride is coming up shortly.:rolleyes:

:drive: Everyone decided how they are going to meet up or are most folks just meeting at the trail head? :confused:

Anyway, figgered I should bump this back to the top of the front page.:)

seangillis11b
May 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
what time are u guys camping and where are we meeting

seangillis11b
May 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
should i be at mcdees at about 7 or 7:30 then

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
what time are u guys camping and where are we meeting

My wife and I are going up saturday.. don't know when. For the actual run on Sunday the Colorado springs group is meeting at McDonalds in Woodland park at 7:15 - 7:30.. meeting at the trailhead at 8:15

seangillis11b
May 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM
ok thanks ill probably just meet them on sunday morning its supposed to get a little chilly tomarrow night

Brody
May 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah and me with the tube doors on....

The trailhead...at least Rainbow Falls...is well marked....as is Aaron, though he tends to hide in places where you can't see him easily.....

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah and me with the tube doors on....

The trailhead...at least Rainbow Falls...is well marked....as is Aaron, though he tends to hide in places where you can't see him easily.....

LMAO!!! :lol::lol: I am not sure how well I will be hiding this weekend since we are using the toaster.

white collar redneck dad
May 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
ok to make this simple... what are the GPS coordinates for the starting trail head? What time are ya'll meeting at the Illinois Gulch TH?

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
ok to make this simple... what are the GPS coordinates for the starting trail head? What time are ya'll meeting at the Illinois Gulch TH?

Trailhead at 8:15 don't have a clue on GPS since I do not own one

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Well, crap. Good news and bad news for me. The good news is that I finally found a matching sized spare tire/wheel, but the bad news is that it comes in on Monday. Looks like I'll miss this one. UGH - I am SO FREAKIN ANXIOUS to do some off-roading SOON!!!!!!

You should join along. Most trails are basically going to be for scenery Illinois is the only "obstacle" trail. If you change your mind I still have a spot in the backseat.

Whitey Jr
May 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
LaDawn and I are hooking up with Swath and going in the back way, so we will meet everyone at the trail head. I thought that there was going to be a slew of folks meeting you in Castle Rock..like most of the rest of the Denver bunch...

i wouldnt mind meeting up with you two and go the back way its a little more familar for me. just let me know where to join you two and i will be there

white collar redneck dad
May 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Hello..I live in Broomfield..since this would be my first trip with the group,,Im looking to be a ride along...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charlie

Sure is quite in this thread considering the ride is coming up shortly.:rolleyes:

:drive: Everyone decided how they are going to meet up or are most folks just meeting at the trail head? :confused:

Anyway, figgered I should bump this back to the top of the front page.:)

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Charlie, hook up with Swath & Brody when they leave Arvada. You'll have to hunt through the thread to find the info.

fuelcell
May 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Thank you, sir. In that case, I will plan on meeting you guys at the McDonalds in Woodland Park, then! LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!!!!! :)
What time at mcdonalds?

karolinakid88
May 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM
As far as i know everyone from the springs is meeting at my place i live on peterson and galley at 6:30 then when everyone show's up from the springs were all heading up the hill just text me for directions 719-502-6596.

karolinakid88
May 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I beleave 7:30 but i can find out you can fly me a text message and i'll get back to you with the details 719-502-6596

Swath
May 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM
For anybody that wants to join us, we will be LEAVING from the parking area (a Gas station is on that corner) on the NW corner of Ralston Road (58th) and Wadsworth at 6:00am. That means be there early enough to leave AT 6:00. (2 hour drive time according to Google)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=39.80219,-105.07829&daddr=S+US-285+to:CO-67&hl=en&geocode=%3BFeTwWgIdgCe5-Q%3BFeAiVQIdHie8-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&via=1&sll=39.802214,-105.077775&sspn=0.002151,0.004807&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=39.468005,-104.765625&spn=0.973202,2.068176&z=9

58th and Wadsworth, NOT Ward. Be there gassed, loaded, fed, coffeed, buckled in and ready to LEAVE at 0600.

Swath
May 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
We are meeting Swath at 58th and Ward Road at a gas station there at just before 6AM. We are LEAVING there right at 6AM...

Coming from Broomfield, go South on Wadsworth to 58th(Ralston Road) We are located at 62nd and Wadsworth, so give a call when you are close and I'll tell you where we are....My rig isn't very easy to miss...slightly modded, stockish looking 94 black Yota pick up, EXIT realty sign on the side...

My cell is 303-507-3066 and I'll have it with me. We will also be on channel 4 on the CB. If you have any problems, just give a shout!

Pete

58th and Wadsworth! NOT Ward. Be there gassed and ready to LEAVE at 0600.

Swath
May 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM

GPS coordinates for meet spot at 0815:
N39.08.044 W105.06.590

Brody
May 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM
58th and Wadsworth! NOT Ward. Be there gassed and ready to LEAVE at 0600.

Thanks for the clarification! How the hell did I come up with Ward Road??

Never mind...don't even ask...This is within walking distance from my front door...

Swath
May 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Some do mine don't. Might as well bring em.

Sorry for the noob question, but do two way radios operate on the same frequency as CBs? Just wondering if I should bring two way radios tomorrow?

Whitey Jr
May 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM
i am stoked me my baby sister and my girlfriend will see you all at the trailhead at 8:15 :D

Rovers4now
May 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
My two son's and I will be leaving Wadsworth and 470 @ 0600. We'll see ya at the McD's in WP. Sorry no CB. Cell only 303-818-2352. CAll or follow the black beast if anybody want to "CONVOY"

4Runninfun
May 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Who is meeting me at the village inn in castle rock? i'd like a head count.

Rovers4now
May 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry I'm sure its posted in the 7 pages somewhere....................what time for village inn?

Chris
May 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I posted this to a different (wrong) thread but these meeting places and times should be on the calendar to save everyone from searching and asking.

That's all ;)

Rovers4now
May 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I was just getting ready to check that. Thanks Chris

Rovers4now
May 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hey Jon, We'll try to catch up with you guys at the Village Inn by 0630.

4Runninfun
May 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I'll be leaving work (Arapaho and I-25) at 06:00 so i should be at Village Inn right about 06:30.

4Runninfun
May 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah chris you're totally right, for some reason this trip is just getting out of hand we should definitely be better about that next trip, and keep the calendar updated with all applicable info.

Brody
May 10th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I posted this to a different (wrong) thread but these meeting places and times should be on the calendar to save everyone from searching and asking.

That's all ;)

Well, we were all hoping to get some more folks together for more runs, more often. Seems like it is working...almost too well. The last couple of runs, there has been so much chat and extraneous posts that trying to find the actual meeting time and places and almost a joke. And I am not the only one who has posted that they were having troubles finding this info.....

What I would suggest...and maybe at the risk of POing some people (never bothered me before, won't now...) is that Chris lays down a few guidelines to follow for trail posting. Worked for finally getting people to use the calendar, should work for this.

Simply say that if you are going to post a trail run, state the meeting time and place right up front and keep it a sticky so it stays up on top.
Traildamage has some reasonable meeting places, then some really off the wall ones, so I stopped using them as a source for places to meet.

Here is where we have been meeting for the most part:

The Fort: 285/Morrison Rd
Johnson Corner: off I25
Safeway/Starbucks: Boulder
Safeway/Starbucks: Conifer
Village Inn: Castle Rock
McDonalds: Colo Springs

Added per Young Chris' request:

We are always on channel 4 on the CB, too. Any other information such as cell phone numbers can be taken care of in the PMs or E mails

There are a few more, but let's not get too carried away. Post up what amounts to a standard meeting place, and let people that RSVP'd get in touch with each other via PMs or E mails to fine tune the meeting places for a caravan...and keep the trail run post uncluttered so that everyone can actually figure out what is going on....

We won't be having people having to wade through 7 or 8 pages of general bull**** just to try to find out when and where we are meeting for a run...This is a totally needless wates of time....

Screweder
May 10th, 2009, 04:23 AM
:clap:

Might I add that it'd also be a swell idea to not only put meeting location, but CB chanel on there as well?

4Runninfun
May 10th, 2009, 04:24 AM
:thunb: exactly brody. I think we just need to use the calendar more effectively becuase a few meeting places are already posted on that. So lets use that more effectively and that should solve most of these issues.

Swath
May 10th, 2009, 05:11 AM
The meeting place has since the beginning been at the trailhead at 0815.

I know where I'm going, I'm going wheeling....

CYA

Gecko Cycles
May 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Traildamage has some reasonable meeting places, then some really off the wall ones, so I stopped using them as a source for places to meet.

Also avoid the direstions to get to the trailhead sometimes. It's best to just mapquest or Google map it and figure it out for yourself. Sometimes TrailDamage will take you for a ride to get to the trail head so just check the route with another source.