PDA

View Full Version : Is this Right?

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've had my truck for quite a few years but until today never drove it on the road in 4WD. Before today I'd always put it back in 2WD when leaving the trail. Today when I got out of the unplowed streets to the clear road it felt like I had much lower gearing which makes me wonder if my front diff is lower geared than the rear or I just don't know what it's like to drive in 4WD over 30 mph. :o

Yeah, I'll do the turn the wheel and count DS revolutions but wondering if this just isn't right or not. :confused:

Patrolman
April 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Hmmmmm... That is odd. I know that even in 4wd on snow/slush/dirt, it can be a little funnier to turn, and my truck certainly notices the "drag" in 4wd.

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Never drove any 4WD before this so I guess i don't know what is "normal" :confused:

billsbar
April 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
if you drove it any distance on a non slippery road in 4WD with different gears front to rear you would of played hell getting it out of 4WD it would be all bound up.

Dan
April 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
That sounds very odd... Here in the land of perpetual snow, I drive my DD in 4wd all the time on the roads...The only time I notice any type of difference is when turning on dry pavement... it will buck you outta your seat. As far as difference in gearing... that shouldn't be... :confused:

Patrolman
April 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
That sounds very odd... Here in the land of perpetual snow, I drive my DD in 4wd all the time on the roads...The only time I notice any type of difference is when turning on dry pavement... it will buck you outta your seat. As far as difference in gearing... that shouldn't be... :confused:

Are you running lockers front/rear Fred? I know Chris has some, but can't remember if they are auto-lockers or selectable. That will make a difference.

Dan
April 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Are you running lockers front/rear Fred? I know Chris has some, but can't remember if they are auto-lockers or selectable. That will make a difference.

MY DD is open front (I think) and limited slip rear. Being locked up will make even more difference on turns especially up front, but it should not feel geared down on the straight. I assumed Chris was talking about feeling lowered geared on the straight, right??

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I just have a Lockrite in the rear. The road was wet but free of snow. I have to say my observation is based on a drive of only 3 or 4 blocks but I was running through the gears and never got over 35 or so. I wish I had paid closer attention but was distracted by passengers. I would think if I was geared lower in front that I would notice it off road too but don't have any experience to base it on.

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
MY DD is open front (I think) and limited slip rear. Being locked up will make even more difference on turns especially up front, but it should not feel geared down on the straight. I assumed Chris was talking about feeling lowered geared on the straight, right??

Do you feel any difference in speed/rpm when in 4WD vs 2WD Dan? It's funny I've never driven on road in 4WD before but you have so your experience would be relevant.

Dan
April 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM
It almost sounds like you were in 4Lo. If 35 mph was in 4th gear, you may have inadvertantly got it in 4LO. I'm not sure the setup of lo-hi on the stockers

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I think I better give it a look tomorrow since I'm not providing enough facts to even satisfy myself. I'll report back and see if I can provide accurate info rather than after-the-fact recollection. ;)

Patrolman
April 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Wet roads in 4wd is a no-no. Basically as bad as driving on dry pavement in 4wd. There has to be "slip", which means dirt, mud, snow, ice, etc. Even driving on the slick-rock is hard on the 4wd, but of course, there is no choice.

Hypoid
April 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM
if you drove it any distance on a non slippery road in 4WD with different gears front to rear you would of played hell getting it out of 4WD it would be all bound up.
X2, or it would have made one helllava racket before exploding. LOL

I like the low range theory, it fits. The only other thing that comes to mind may not apply to your brand, but, my gear driven case on my '74 F-100, with the hubs locked had a lot of parasitic loss. It took energy to move those tires, and no braking to speak of to get them stopped.

When the roads were bad enough to justify locking the hubs, I could drive to work using only the clutch and gas pedal. The drive train, with the parasitic loss, did all the braking for me.

HTH

Chris
April 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm throwing it in the "driver error" category since I couldn't re-create it today and everything checks out fine. :o

DETN8R
April 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I guess you'll have to pull both drive shafts, jack up each axle of the ground and count the rotations on the input as you turn the tires.

ShutUpHippie
April 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I don't think you were in 4Low, my Jeep hits 4th gear around 40 in High.

itsjustdan23
April 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
My truck when in 4x4H I notice a lil differance in the gearing. It does seem a lil sluggish but when I hit about 2500RPM it pretty much feels the same. But Ive never drivin it on wet or dry roads locked into the 4x4 position. Only on the mud and such. I wouldnt read anything into it bud.

Pathrat
April 19th, 2009, 10:44 PM
FWIW, I was in 4Hi when I left work, the roads full of slush and snow. Then I was on wet roads five minutes later going about 25, still in 4Hi until I had an opportunity to slow down and shift back into 2W drive. (I never know what it is going to be like on the main roads and it is never plowed around the hospital) It does feel different, like I am towing something or carrying too much heavy crap in the back.

WINKY
April 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
i feel no difference... i just hit the right pedal and i go, 4x or 2x or 4xlow....:rolleyes: lmao

itsjustdan23
April 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM
You have dyesell ( redneck twang in there haha ) of course you aint goin to feel anyting!