PDA

View Full Version : Day Run - Slaughterhouse Gulch

Screweder
April 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I'm stuck workin graveyards (10p-6a) 7 days a week. I'm dyin to get on the trails though. Anyone interested in setting up a 6-10 hour outing sometime within the next week? That way I can get a quick nap in before work. I can be almost anywhere in the Denver metro area by 7am for a meet up. Also, this is a new-ish vehicle to me and is still a work in progress. Don't want anything too severe :o

Chris
April 20th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Any specific trail/day in mind?

Screweder
April 20th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Im new to bein the driver, so my knowledge of trails is low. So basically I'm up for about anything someone wants to throw at me. (well, not like a level 10 or anything lol)

As for day, Im free anytime/day after 6am.

Brody
April 20th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Get Wells books on Colorado...back them up with information from traildamage.com.

There are quite a few of us not gainfully employed at the moment. Maybe a day run can be set up...I know Randy is good to go for something on Friday after he gets out of work, Josh (HAKU) is free during the day a lot, Jon (4runningfun) may be free if he isn't working...anyway, quite a few folks...

I would be surprised if you don't hear back on this pretty quick. I am unemployed, so I may be free, too. I'll try to keep you posted with PMs as to my time frame...

1freaky1
April 20th, 2009, 07:10 AM
There are quite a few trails close to town that are great for starting out and can be done in a couple hours, Man I wish me and my truck weren't messed up or I would jump on this. Look up areas like Apex Rd. and areas around Netherlands on traildamage. com there are some fun trails in these areas that will give you a chance to do rocks, water crossings, ledges and so on.

Screweder
April 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Well I'm lookin foreword to going. Just not alone, lol.:jiggy"

Chris
April 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hmm, I'd like to check out Devil's Canyon in Idaho Springs. We've adopted the trail w/o seeing it and now might be a good time. Maybe a Wednesday or Thursday run?

Anyone interested? I'm pretty sure I could do it.

Trail Damage link -> http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=291

Funrover
April 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM
It's closed according to the sign..... it says it won't open till June 15.

Chris
April 20th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Okay, not a good idea! :o

WINKY
April 20th, 2009, 11:15 PM
i run the night shift too man, i try to stay up on friday mornings and enjoy 3 day weekends before work sunday night at 9:30 So your not alone. i am near colorado mills mall.

Screweder
April 20th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I've got an ex that lives up near there. Maybe we can hook up one of these days with some chains and pull her house down... or just hit a trail. Matters what we feel like lol.

WINKY
April 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
brutus could pull a house down :thunb:

Chris
April 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I would be surprised if you don't hear back on this pretty quick. I am unemployed, so I may be free, too. I'll try to keep you posted with PMs as to my time frame...

Not much coming back. I'm still open if someone wants to suggest a trail that's open rather than my choice that's closed. :erm:

Screweder
April 21st, 2009, 12:07 AM
Friday Morning Slaughterhouse??

Funrover
April 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
Take pics!!!

Screweder
April 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
I will. Gotta charge my 10mega pixle camera, it'll do great. But first... SOMEONE HAS TO GO WITH ME lol

Haku
April 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Friday Morning Slaughterhouse??

I'm in and you should put it up on the Calender so people can confirm they are going. Here is a link to the trail damage page:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=2

Get out the mud tires and get ready to get dirty.

JH

Chris
April 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM
It's on the calendar, 9am meet at Safeway in Conifer. I think that's the right location at least though I recall some people having difficulty finding it before.

I should know by tomorrow if I can make it!

Screweder
April 21st, 2009, 09:20 AM
I meant that to be saturday! Sorry. Gotta take a chic to her prom on friday.

Chris
April 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Changed to Saturday

Screweder
April 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Thank you so much :-) Lookin foreword to wheelin with you guys!

Chris
April 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
Mark yourself in on the calendar (RSVP)

Screweder
April 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Already did

H3_Mafia
April 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
I'm gonna try really hard to to make this! :bang: Kinda hard cause I work nights and will be getting off work at 4am earlier in the day.

WINKY
April 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
i will be out of commission for a couple weeks as funds dipped back down to crap again

Screweder
April 22nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/slaughterhouse_gulch/maps/map_medium.gif
This is a great trail if you're looking for a lot of flex. The "whoopdeedoos" (dirt moguls that twist your suspension) found through the entire trail are challenging to a stock vehicle, especially if you have a sway bar that is not disconnected.

It forms a big loop with the far end of the loop about 1,000 feet lower in elevation. That means you must go down a large hill, then back up to the top on the other side. The two hills are not very similar.

When you first start the trail (near a sign for Forest Road 101) it is a mellow dirt road with some dips in it, with a gate near the trailhead that is most often open. Hunting is no longer allowed in this area. There is a clearing along the way on both the left and the right of the trail, and just before this clearing is a rock in the right side of the trail called Poser Rock. It's a great rock for testing your suspension, but be careful -- your rear tire on the passenger side gets off the ground very suddenly and it would be very easy to flop your vehicle on its side.

A little further down the trail and you move into the trees. Please note that you can no longer take the shortcut up the hill on the former obstacle called Stump Hill, even if you see tracks made illegally by people before you. You must stay on the regular trail, so follow the sign to 101, then follow the Slaughterhouse sign (Forest Road 105) at the "Y" in the road. You'll climb a little, then start the decent to the far end of the loop. This downhill section is fairly steep and long, though not technical. It can be dangerous when icy, and you could get into trouble here in the wintertime.

You stay at the bottom very briefly, enjoying rocky sections that can challenge stock vehicles. In the early season there is usually a muddy section at the bottom that cannot be avoided. If you see a "trail" going around this mud, do not use it. It is illegally made, and if you use it you will be off of the trail. The mud is usually completely dry by June and it usually remains dry for the rest of the year.

Soon you find yourself at a large hill with big whoopdeedoos. You'll climb up a bunch of these, twisting your suspension every few feet.

Once you get to the "T" in the road you'll see a sign pointing to Slaughterhouse, back the way you came. If you go left here you'll complete the loop and find yourself back at the start. If you go right at the "T" you follow the Crow Creek trail (also known as Crooked Top).

Take Crow Creek for about a half mile to find the Mud Pits. This is an optional playground with plenty of room to play (or turn around). The mud changes throughout the year and between years. It's always deep, always big, and always messy fun. There have always been rumors of the closure of these pits, though they have never been closed by the forest service. Contact the forest service for the most up-to-date information about this area and the rest of the trail.

This trail is a good "winter trail" as it gets challenging with snow and ice. It stays in the trees and is very safe, though there are a few tippy areas that could get you into trouble. Note that because of the long hills it could also be very dangerous, and you could get stuck at the bottom of the loop with no way back up unless you have a winch or some help. Note that there is a gate at the trailhead that could be closed if trail conditions are especially bad. You should contact the forest service before heading out to the trail to find out if it is open or not.

Brody
April 22nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
[QUOTE=Screweder;32524]http://www.traildamage.com/trails/slaughterhouse_gulch/maps/map_medium.gif

Take Crow Creek for about a half mile to find the Mud Pits. This is an optional playground with plenty of room to play (or turn around). The mud changes throughout the year and between years. It's always deep, always big, and always messy fun. There have always been rumors of the closure of these pits, though they have never been closed by the forest service. Contact the forest service for the most up-to-date information about this area and the rest of the trail.

FYI:

The Mud Pits were officially closed last year by the Forest Service. They also installed a 'seasonal' gate at the entrance to Crow Gulch.

This is a good 'stocker' run, though short, as long as there is no snow or ice on the uphill and downhill sections that form the loop.

Gecko Cycles
April 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
When I do this trail I do an out and back to make it longer. I've done the return trip in less than 30 mins once in the snow with Andy and a Heep.

And yes the pits are closed as well as Crow Gulch the last time I was there.

Screweder
April 22nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
So what are we lookin at for a timeframe here? Just curious...

Chris
April 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have to bow out guys. I'm committed to taking my grandkids to the pool Saturday and hoped I could change it to Sunday but can't.

Can't let the little ones down so you guys have fun, I'll be thinking of what i'm missing.

Haku
April 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
I may or may not make it up for this run now. I'm doing Chinaman the next day and not sure I want to do two days in a row. I was gonna go up and camp after the Slaughterhouse run, but don't really want to if I am by myself. So I am now a maybe. That might change depending on what people want to do with both runs.

JH

Chris
April 23rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Like I said, I can't make Slaughterhouse and will try to make it to BV. The problem is I won't know til the last minute and won't be around a computer. If you don't see me at Gunsmoke please don't wait.

Are you interested if just Screweder is going be there? I know he doesn't want to do it alone. Kind of a shame this isn't coming together...

Screweder
April 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Its all good. Probably best to just go another time. Brody and I were talkin and I have adjustments to make to my Yota, and with me being a *limodriver* to prom (taking ex as "friends") then I'm gonna be hellaciously tired.

Chris
April 23rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I may or may not make it up for this run now.

Its all good. Probably best to just go another time.

I'm still seeing names on the calendar rsvp...

Haku
April 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
I'm still seeing names on the calendar rsvp...

I don't see a way to take it off Chris. The only option is to go from yes to maybe. Can't say no, or take it off completely. Sounds like this run is nixed though. I'm out too, after talking to Screweder. Still on for Chinaman though.

JH

Chris
April 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
You don't have the "remove" link?

Screweder
April 24th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Nope, no remove link.

Screweder
April 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM
No remove

Funrover
April 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Bummer... I tell you this trail is a curse... at least for me

Chris
April 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I'll look into why you guys don't see the link. :confused:

Chris
April 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I think removing the "no" option was my mistake, you should have this and the opyion to change to "no"

Let me know, thanks.

WINKY
April 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
could it be their permissions?

Brody
April 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Can we add a 'Thinking about it' and a 'checking with the SO' and a 'wrenching on my heap' and a 'I am feeling a little under the weather, let me get back to you' and a 'Possibly working' just to help simplify things?

I actually though that the absence of the 'no' option made sense...

Chris
April 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Everyone has the same permissions Randy. Yes pete, i could add anything and removing the "No" did make sense but if adding it back as a way to remove oneself from yes or maybe it'll have to be on there.

Waiting for confirmation from anyone that they can remove themself now.

Chris
April 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Fixed it...

4Runninfun
April 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/4runninfun/NoRemove.jpg

In all seriousness i strongly advocate firefox, just because you'll find you have less problems (virus, trojan, etc) and you'll find the web works better not only here on FR4x4 but everywhere else too.

Aaron
April 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Google Chrome guy myself. Very fast and doesn't take a bunch o memory. By the way, when did this become a geek thread... :)

Chris
April 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Any issues with the site and Google Chrome? Not available for Mac last time I looked but doubt I'd leave Firefox. We need a geek thread now and then just to confuse people. The thread on RSS feeds was amusing.

Aaron
April 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Google Chrome is based upon the same engine as Safari so I assume it would work fine once Google releases it. All in all, the site works great. Its very fast..

Aaron
April 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
By the way, when did a picture start showing up for me. I was trying to figure out how to do it and then all of a sudden it was there. Poof. And I left my magic wand at the office.

Chris
April 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
If I get bored I'll add one when it's missing. ;)

You can change it through your User CP link.