PDA

View Full Version : Superwinch EPI9000 - To Be or Not To Be

Aaron
April 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
This is the question.

I'm about 48 hours from pulling the trigger on a Superwinch EPI9000 for my Jeep TJ. Are there any haters or lovers out there who would like to either talk me into it or talk me out of it.

I've done some research and for the most part, people like it...unless they are die-hard Warn people.

Whatcha think? Anyone have one? Any Superwinch? Anyone been pulled out by one or know someone who has?

Patrolman
April 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Getting one used or new?

Aaron
April 22nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Getting one used or new?

Sorry. I was looking at new for around $600. If you know of any used, I would be willing...

Aaron

Patrolman
April 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Just personal opinion, I would get a used Warn for about the same $ or less. I don't think the Warn is necessarily better, but the parts supply through Warn can't be matched by any other company. They basically carry every part for every winch they ever made. Can't say the same about any other company.

Chris
April 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing, patrolman comes up with winches pretty often on Craigslist but you have to move fast.

I don't know anything about Superwinch to offer an opinion.

gragravar
April 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
I have a good friend that always put superwinch winches on his work trucks. he regularly used them and never had a problem.

Also the ARB bumpers for most rovers are designed to fit superwinch and need an adapter plate to fit a Warn. that in itself sounds like a pretty decent endorsement.

I wouldnt have any hesitations buying a superwinch. I dont know anything about the EPI9000 specifically, but I was looking at a EP 9.0 for my rover. $600 seems like a good price. The EP 9.0 was $750 most places I looked.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/superwinch/

Brody
April 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
Just personal opinion, I would get a used Warn for about the same $ or less. I don't think the Warn is necessarily better, but the parts supply through Warn can't be matched by any other company. They basically carry every part for every winch they ever made. Can't say the same about any other company.

What he said about the parts stuff, Ramsay is the same. I know SuperWinches are comparable as far as pulling power, line speed, etc. Since nothing usually goes really wrong on a winch, parts availability would come second to cost for me. If I had the bucks, I would go for Warn, but I am not easy on my winches and they get abused...and used a lot. So the other deciding factor would be usage...how much are you really planning on using it? A bunch or a little? If just a little, something like the Tabor, which is made by Warn, but cheaper, might be the ticket, too. The Super Winch is better than the Tabor by far, BTW...

Personally, if it is going to see moderate to heavy use (and you don't do stuff like pull Randy's 9000lb Dodge up a snow covered hill with a 9000Warn like I did. The winch got hot, BTW, and I should've used a snatch block as this was a classic 'how to toast a winch' scenario) I think you should be fine with the Super Winch. They may not be quite as good as a Warn, but they are really close...

Brody
April 23rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Unrelated but has anyone bought or used one of the new Smittybilt winches, I am thinking of upgrading to a 10k and at 399 I'm just wondering if it is worth it

SCRUBICON has one on the front of his rig. You might give him a PM and see what he thinks if he doesn't reply back here. It looks good as does the bumper, also Smittybilt, that it is sitting on.

Funrover
April 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
They work great!

Aaron
April 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Great feedback all. I think I am still leaning towards the Superwinch, but some of the earlier posts have me thinking a bit. Aside from the normal CL and eBay, do you guys have any secret places to find good deals on used stuff...like say, for example, a winch?

Patrolman
April 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Honestly, there a lots of deals to be found on Ebay and CL.

I found the MileMarker 12,000 brand new on Ebay for my 4Runner for $300 shipped. It was a buy-it-now and I jumped on it.

I found my Warn 8,000 model 8274 for my truck on CL just over a year ago. Found it with a bumper setup that I didn't need. Ended up selling off the other stuff and the total for the actual winch (no remote) was $75. Got a remote for cheap.

RockyMtnHigh
April 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
I have a Warn M8000 and completely happy with it. The bumper I bought though was fitted for it otherwise I would have gone with the Superwinch EP9000. From my understanding they don't heat up like the Warn does, the spindle is insulated and won't melt synthetic line. I have heard they are a bit faster too, but I can't confirm that.

gm4x4lover
April 23rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
i had a super winch on the front of my rover and it didnt feel strong enough. I had a warn before and it would harder. Warloard has a 8k or 9k milemarker (i think) and it tuged my 6k burb up that steep hill on china wall like it was nothing. My next winch will be a the same.

1freaky1
April 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
I watched a 4 wheel show a while back and they tested all the major brand winches it was pretty cool they had Warn there doing the testing with Consumer Reports and I was amazed that the superwinch rated better than the Warn winch in feet/minute, Motor temps, and total line weight ratings prior to the winches stopping.

Warrlord
April 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
i had a super winch on the front of my rover and it didnt feel strong enough. I had a warn before and it would harder. Warlord has a 8k or 9k milemarker (i think) and it tuged my 6k burb up that steep hill on china wall like it was nothing. My next winch will be a the same.

It's a MM SE9500C. It pulled up 5 rigs in a row that day & never broke a sweat. I've heard that Milemarker gets a bad rap but my brother had their basic 8k winch on his XJ & it always worked flawlessly.

gm4x4lover
April 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
That same trip also made me appreciate the syn line you had. Way easier to pull than steel cable.

Roostercruiser
April 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
i havent got to use my Warn 8274 yet. i just picked a snatch block today and now im not scared that im gonna burn my motor up. from what ive heard there pretty tough. sorry i cant gove you any info on yours. but any winch is better than using a cum along or hi lift like i have the past 15 years.

Brody
April 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
i havent got to use my Warn 8274 yet. i just picked a snatch block today and now im not scared that im gonna burn my motor up. from what ive heard there pretty tough. sorry i cant gove you any info on yours. but any winch is better than using a cum along or hi lift like i have the past 15 years.

The Warn 8274 is arguably one of the best winches ever made. They pull way more than they are rated for and last forever. There are people who have had them on 4 different rigs or more. Very sought after and a real work horse.

Patrolman
April 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The Warn 8274 is arguably one of the best winches ever made. They pull way more than they are rated for and last forever. There are people who have had them on 4 different rigs or more. Very sought after and a real work horse.

Ditto. They are tough workhorses. Also, they can be upgraded to wider spools, dual motors, etc. 100% completely rebuildable is also nice!

Dan
April 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I've got a Superwinch EPI 9000 on my rig. Its been used hard and the cable shows it, but it never missed a beat. I also saw posts on here about mounting in cab controls for the Warn winches. I can't remember exactly, but it looked more complicated with 4 or more wires and a weird switch. I just installed in cab controls and it couldn't be easier on the Superwinch. All you need is three wires: one for power, one for forward, one for reverse and a three position momentary toggle switch...

Brody
April 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I can't remember exactly, but it looked more complicated with 4 or more wires and a weird switch. I just installed in cab controls and it couldn't be easier on the Superwinch. All you need is three wires: one for power, one for forward, one for reverse and a three position momentary toggle switch...

I wired my in cab on my Warn with a cut up chunk of basic orange 3 wire construction extension cord. Works fine...I suppose if you wanted an additional ground you could use the 4th wire, but I just did Power/Front/Rear and haven't had problems either..probably used the same switch, too...

Chris
April 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I wired my in cab on my Warn with a cut up chunk of basic orange 3 wire construction extension cord. Works fine...I suppose if you wanted an additional ground you could use the 4th wire, but I just did Power/Front/Rear and haven't had problems either..probably used the same switch, too...

I need to do this but thought I didn't need any more dash clutter. Then I saw Dan's use of the ashtray space. :rolleyes:

cfr
April 26th, 2009, 10:44 PM
My random input... I'm a few months (wife permitting) from a winch purchase and I've been looking at Smittybilt and Titan.

Smittybilt has a new winch w/air (ala Warn PowerPlant) coming out in the next few months called the XRC10HD. 4wd.com is taking orders, but I sent an e-mail to Smittybilt and confirmed that it's not out yet. In the meantime, the XRC8 and XRC10 are both extremely popular. The XRC8 is now offered with synthatic rope. Best prices appear to be at 4wheelparts.com with local pickup in either Westminster or Aurora.

Titan winches is a one-man show in Canada. Everything I've read about them is good. He seems to have a following on the FJ Cruiser forums. His TWC12 is a 12,000 lb winch with air. This winch is $675 shipped to the Denver area.

Good luck.

Aaron
April 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM
nice. I'll look into those.

My 48 hour trigger pulling seems to be a bit ambitious. I'm thinking sometime in May... So I have time.

Patrolman
April 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Good to wait until May! Just saw a "May Special" that was posted today!
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?p=1442660#post1442660

Aaron
April 30th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Super Deal...

BLUE THUNDER
April 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have the superwinch EPI9000. used it 10 or 11 times now and had no problems with it. got it at winchline.com

Aaron
May 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM
My random input... I'm a few months (wife permitting) from a winch purchase and I've been looking at Smittybilt and Titan.

Smittybilt has a new winch w/air (ala Warn PowerPlant) coming out in the next few months called the XRC10HD. 4wd.com is taking orders, but I sent an e-mail to Smittybilt and confirmed that it's not out yet. In the meantime, the XRC8 and XRC10 are both extremely popular. The XRC8 is now offered with synthatic rope. Best prices appear to be at 4wheelparts.com with local pickup in either Westminster or Aurora.

Titan winches is a one-man show in Canada. Everything I've read about them is good. He seems to have a following on the FJ Cruiser forums. His TWC12 is a 12,000 lb winch with air. This winch is $675 shipped to the Denver area.

Good luck.

You know, its quite hard to argue with the logic. Not too many people who have owned an XRC8 have complained about it online. Given its GREAT price, why not?

Question 1: It looks like the XRC8 is slower than its higher priced competitors but it seems to be very reliable. Is there a reason not to give it a shot? Especially if it means the difference between getting it now and waiting till sometime int he summer or possibly next year.

Question 2: For about $150 more, I can get it with synthetic line. What are the advantages/disadvantages of synthetic? Is it worth an extra c-note and a half.

Question 3: Why, when I was uneducated and going out in vehicles which were no where near as capable as my Jeep is now, was I so oblivious and never had any trouble on the trails alone with no recovery gear. Now that I have the Jeep, I don't want to go anywhere without the group or hundreds or thousands of dollars of recovery gear. Ignorance was bliss.

Patrolman
May 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM
#1: I would get something that is reliable rather than really fast. Fast won't get you unstuck if it is broken. Unless you are competing or having to use the winch ALL THE TIME, then speed isn't a big issue.

#2: Synthetic line apparently has a longer life as it won't "crimp" as easily as the steel line. Major advantage is the weight reduction. Disadvantage? It has a larger diameter so not as much line can be put on the same spool and each layer has a reduced line pull.

#3: Isn't ignorance bliss? :) I was the same way before. Won't go out now without being VERY prepared or being able to walk out.

Chris
May 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Question 1: Slow, steady and reliable beat speed

Question 2: It's $150 that can be used better elsewhere

Question 3: Age & experience is a reality check

Funrover
May 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM
1. Reliable will get you there, slow is just fine!

2. A big advantage to the synthetic line IMO is the safty side..If it does snap it hits the ground and is less likely to cause injury, Metal cable will cut a person in half (figuritively speaking). When I get a winch I will run the syn. rope.I know it's more $ but it's a just incase factor.

3. For many all it takes is 1 time where you got stuck and were unable to do anything... you got lucky my friend

Swath
May 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM
You know, its quite hard to argue with the logic. Not too many people who have owned an XRC8 have complained about it online. Given its GREAT price, why not?

Question 1: It looks like the XRC8 is slower than its higher priced competitors but it seems to be very reliable. Is there a reason not to give it a shot? Especially if it means the difference between getting it now and waiting till sometime int he summer or possibly next year.

Question 2: For about $150 more, I can get it with synthetic line. What are the advantages/disadvantages of synthetic? Is it worth an extra c-note and a half.

#1 - I'm with everyone else, speed is not high on my list of importance when all I want is to git unsticked.

#2 - I question what synthetic line they are using. There is a wide variaty of quality when it comes to synthetic lines as well as the corresponding wide range of prices. Do some research on this issue and try to find out what line they are using. $150 for 80ft of synth line is cheap.

I have the XRC8, got it for a great price. I immediatly took the cable off and put on a nice synth rope on it. I believe the protective sleave some vendors offer is a requirement. Synth line will break easily if it is sliced or knicked on a sharp edge, great care must be taken with that aspect of the synth line. Also, most winch drums get very hot when spooling out under power, this heat can easily (within just a few minutes) ruin the synth line, just another thing to be mindful of when using it.

Synth line can be repaired easily on the trail with some relatively simple splicing techniques.

:thunb:I experienced great customer service from Smittybilt - I thought the solenoid was bad, turns out it was a the moron rewiring it that was the problem (that would be me :erm: ). I called the company in CA to get some tech advice and without any hassle at all they immediately shipped me out a new solenoid even though I told them I was most likely at fault.

Dan
May 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
after looking at the abuse my cable has gone through... I'm not sure the syn rope would've held up as well. Sure its ugly, dirty, a bit rusty at the end, doesn't spool up real well and has some memory to it (kinda bent, but not really kinked) I can still inspect it and know that it is still in decent shape. You can't see everything, but I would feel less confident on a rope. I would also worry about breakage more with a rope if you had to run it over or around rocks (you don't always have convenient, straight pull options)

I agree with funrover that a rope is safer, but that is also a good reason for the in cab controls and having onlookers stand far away since a snapped cable can go about anywhere it wants. Basically, I don't feel the rope is worth the extra $$. Actually, I might not even buy it if it were the same price...But that's just my :2c:

A-TRAC
May 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I have the superwinch EPI9000. used it 10 or 11 times now and had no problems with it. got it at winchline.com

x2. I have seen Joe do some crazy stuff with his EPi9. Including winch me and another member on here with it.

If I wasn't on a budget, that's the winch I would have gotten. I ended up getting the SuperWinch LP-8500 instead.

Good place to get SuperWinches locally is Rokmen. Cheaper than I've seen them online. http://www.rokmen.com/products/recovery_equipment/superwinch_epi9/superwinch_epi9.html

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMGP2300.jpg

Aaron
May 29th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I'm about 50/50 between this and the XRC8 or even the XRC10HD (with air compressor) and the Superwinch.

I have time though. The funds didn't come together as I had hoped but hopefully by the end of the summer. Gotta get Brody to do some sliders for me first.

A-TRAC
May 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I hear you on the funds part. Tough times these days.

I don't know too much about the XRCs, but did an expedition with someone who had the XRC10 and he was very happy with it.

On the SuperWinches, the EPi9 and EP9 are awesome proven winches. If you do decide to go with the LP-8500 though (LP is $200 less than the EP), don't expect to get all the cool features the EP series have. I was kind of disappointed to see that the LP doesn't have water-proof solenoids like the EPs do.

I've only used my LP 4 times so far and it works. Hopefully by the end of this year, we'll know for sure if it's a decent winch.

WINKY
May 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
yeah try dropping 3g's on a fuel system..... :( if you can afford it get the bigger winch. You might need to pull something bigger than you out. Cant hurt IMO.

BLUE THUNDER
May 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
x2. I have seen Joe do some crazy stuff with his EPi9. Including winch me and another member on here with it.

If I wasn't on a budget, that's the winch I would have gotten. I ended up getting the SuperWinch LP-8500 instead.

Good place to get SuperWinches locally is Rokmen. Cheaper than I've seen them online. http://www.rokmen.com/products/recovery_equipment/superwinch_epi9/superwinch_epi9.html

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMGP2300.jpg
That picture was taking on the way to grizzly lake.

4wdhunter
June 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
JP Magazine just did a "cheap" winch test in their latest issue. I couldn't find the article on their website, but it might be worth spending the $4 to buy an issue and read the article.

If I remember correctly, the winches they tested included the Smittybilt, Tabor (made by Warn), Milemarker, Gorilla, Harbor Freight, Bulldog, & Black Mountain. And I think the top performers were the Tabor (which was the most expensive one in the test at $625) and the Smittybilt ($300).

Haku
June 4th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I've been going through a similar quandary as to which winch I will eventually purchase. I know I won't be able to afford the Warn winch I would want to get, so its down the cheapish ones.

I do really like some of the features that Superwinch includes in all of their winches. First, is the red markings on both ends of their cable to say when you get close to the end. Seems like an obvious thing to do, but when you are hauling a winch cable out, and get far away, its nice to have something obvious to tell you that you are about to pull too much. Second, is the way the cable attaches to the drum. Most winch companies use a crimped on eyelet that screws onto the side of the drum. Superwinch, on the other hand, uses hole with a set screw in it. This means that if you happen to break a cable or some such, that you can trim whats left of the end with the hook and use it without having to find a crimper and all that. The last one item that is on most of the Superwinch models is the fact that they have an external break thats on the end of the drum, rather then inside it like pretty much everyone else. This keeps the break from heating up the drum, which is major issue with synthetic winch lines. They also tend to draw alot less current then other winches, while maintaining or exceeding line speeds of the competitors.

When you consider that most of the Superwinch models are significantly cheaper then the similar Warn or Ramsey equivalent winch, this seems like a really obvious answer to me. If you can afford to go a bit more then the Smittybuilt ones, then its definitely worth looking at. They don't have the rock solid reliability claims that Warn does, but I think its only a matter of time till they do. Depending on what happens for work for me in the future will really depend on which winch I get. The Smittybuilt is getting really decent reviews, with line speeds, weight, and no reputation being its only knocks that I can think of.

JH