PDA

View Full Version : Duplicolor in a spray can

4wdhunter
April 22nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Anyone ever use Duplicolor truck bed coating in the rattle can? I'm thinking of painting my trailer with this stuff as I'm sick of constantly battling the rust that always pops up. And before I go out and spend about $9 a can I'd like to know if this stuff is worth it. How's it hold up to chips, fading, wear and tear, etc.?

Or are there any other (cheap) options out there that will hold up better than just plain spray paint?

Thanks,
Mark

ShutUpHippie
April 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
I can tell you that it holds up well through a wet (slushy) winter on a bike frame.. sorry it's not the experience you're looking for.

4wdhunter
April 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the reply, any experience is helpful.

So it seeemed pretty durable then? Also, was the finish smooth or textured?

Thank again,
Mark

billsbar
April 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
it can get expensive by the can, if you by it by the gallon it can be sprayed on with a body shoots gun. And if you don't have the gun or air I do. I have sprayed a lot of it and if the prep work is good it holds up well. If you need help let me know.

ps wear a good respirator and do it outside that stuff is toxic with out good air flows it can get you stoned entering thru your eyes. don't ask

Brody
April 23rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Anyone ever use Duplicolor truck bed coating in the rattle can? I'm thinking of painting my trailer with this stuff as I'm sick of constantly battling the rust that always pops up. And before I go out and spend about $9 a can I'd like to know if this stuff is worth it. How's it hold up to chips, fading, wear and tear, etc.?

Or are there any other (cheap) options out there that will hold up better than just plain spray paint?

Thanks,
Mark

Brody here...my whole rig, body and cage, is painted with that same stuff. Costa about $80 to shoot my whole truck, which I do about once a year. Stuff lasts well, touches up well and hardly scratches.

The only thing that is tricky: It is very temperature sensitive. Best to stick all the cans in a bucket of hot water before using them. Every can will spray out some clear spooge for some reason the first time you go to shoot it. This happens hot or cold, shaken or stirred. Just point the can at someone you don't like, get rid of the spooge and go to town...Advance Auto Parts has this stuff on sale for under $7 a can fairly often.

Do I like it? Yes....

Aaron
April 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
I used it on my fairly rusted safari rack and it seems to hold up ok. I did some grindin to get rid of the rust but the safari rack has all those nooks and crannies so I still have some popping up.

I'm thinking about taking the carpet out of the jeep and doing the interior floor with it so that I can really hose it out.

4wdhunter
April 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Great responses, thanks a lot. Think I'll give the stuff a try. I've got a compressor and spray gun (never used), but think I'll use the rattle cans, as it just seems less hassle. Thanks for the offer to help though.

Body - If it's been holding up on the outside of your rig I think I'll feel comfortable using it. I think I may have met you once over at Bears helping him move. Nice looking rig by the way.

Mark

H3_Mafia
April 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm gonna use this Duplicolor bedliner paint on my grill/mirrors here soon and will post pics when I do. Other Hummer guys have actually sprayed their grill with Line X and it looks really good and holds up well for the Trail and other offroading.

Warrlord
April 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Do I like it? Yes....

Me too. The black on my truck is the rattle can version. I sprayed it in summer of '03 & it's not flaking off or anything. But, "prep" is the key :thunb:

I used Scotchbrite on the surface to scuff it up good

Washed the truck with plain dish soap

Used compressed air to dry it

Used a wax & grease remover. (http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-14855-609-klean-strip-prep-all-wax-grease-remover-gsw362.aspx)

Taped the area off

Tack cloth it

Spray it :thunb:

It's held up very well for going on 6 years now.

Brody
April 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Brody - If it's been holding up on the outside of your rig I think I'll feel comfortable using it. I think I may have met you once over at Bears helping him move. Nice looking rig by the way.Mark

Thanks Mark! And yes we did meet over at Bear's. Glad you got on the site! Great bunch of people here!

Aaron
April 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Anyone used it for washout interior?