PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plates

Chris
April 29th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Here's one for you fabricators. Since there's no off the shelf skids for my truck I'm interested in getting something made after doing some searching. Here are some pics of homemade skids on trucks like mine. I'd like opinions/ideas/suggestions.

1freaky1
April 30th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Chris I would say that the two bottom photos look to be the strongest set up, although the design features of the two upper ones are nice. I think those would be weaker due to the small slots cut in where the bends are made which would weaken them. Just my :2c:

Brody
April 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Chris I would say that the two bottom photos look to be the strongest set up, although the design features of the two upper ones are nice. I think those would be weaker due to the small slots cut in where the bends are made which would weaken them. Just my :2c:

Wonder why homey didn't weld them up after the bending I would've. Not having a bender, I will groove the back of steel to get a bend, but I always weld that groove, too...ditto on both...

What I was considering doing for mine is using tubing of some sort and bolt in panels for any access. This is going to be going across to my existing T case skid, but the principle is the same.

I'll look around for other pictures to get some more ideas. It can be done without too much drama...the design and bending if the top plates would take a bit of time.

itsjustdan23
April 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
LOL my list keeps gettin bigger and bigger for the Ranger. I need to get my rear diff armored. I was crawlin a hill a few days ago and I crested just fine except for the rear diff. I think Ill be sending alot of business to Sean when I can start affording the projects. Im gettin loaded down with ideas. And Id rather buy something from a single person rather than a INC or an LLC company.

Chris
April 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Wonder why homey didn't weld them up after the bending I would've. Not having a bender, I will groove the back of steel to get a bend, but I always weld that groove, too...ditto on both...

I'm sure he did Pete, the pics were while he was designing them. He does some top quality stuff.