PDA

View Full Version : Run Ettiquette

Chris
May 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
All runs I've been on have been great with everyone supporting, spotting, cleaning up and driving on trail in a very commendable fashion. There's only one thing I'd like to remind everyone to pay attention to and always keep in mind.

Always make sure you can see the person behind you in the mirror. If you can't see them - stop. The reasons are obvious but my experience has shown it's not always done.

That's all :)

78bronco
May 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
very good point

WINKY
May 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM
i try to make a point to do this...

Brody
May 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reminder Chris! We had a minor issue with that when we went to the Bunce School run and Randy had his driveshaft problem. Ken caught it and LaDawn and I did later on when we noticed no one was behind us. We turned back to see what was up at this point as there was too much traffic on channel 4 to figure out what was going on..

WINKY
May 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
i was so cold and alone out there in the woods with no one to protect me, i was very skerred for my life. A black bear came up to me and asked if i was ok, i told him i was broke down and no one to help, he stayed and kept me company till gecko and pete came back...

Brody
May 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
This great speaker is coming to Denver tomorrow night. We are going and we have 8 free tickets. If you are interested, please RSVP via 303-761-4818 or ladawn13@gmail.com.

T. Harv Eker

Author of Best Seller "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind"

Coming to Denver

LIVE and In Person!!

First Time in 5 Years

Tuesday, May 5th

7:00 - 9:30 pm

Colorado Convention Center

Chris
May 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the reminder Chris! We had a minor issue with that when we went to the Bunce School run and Randy had his driveshaft problem. Ken caught it and LaDawn and I did later on when we noticed no one was behind us. We turned back to see what was up at this point as there was too much traffic on channel 4 to figure out what was going on..

Yeah, I noticed it on China Wall. I always keep an eye behind me as did Chuck and we spent quite a while standing still. I knew there were still plenty of folks behind us not to raise concern but you never know.

On the same note, everybody else was at the end which really shouldn't have been.

WINKY
May 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
if every driver keeps the person behind them in view there will never be a problem.

Pathrat
May 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
if every driver keeps the person behind them in view there will never be a problem.

Yes, yes, and yes. It bites getting left in the dust.

Chris
May 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I was on an Elephant Hill run in Moab when this wasn't done and one truck took off trying to catch up with everyone and headed towards Silver Stairs when everyone else went towards Devil's Kitchen. Stalled everyone an hour or two while someone went to retrieve the solo runner before he got in trouble.

Pathrat
May 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I would be very unhappy if it was me.

It helps me to have someone in sight if I need help with spotting. That has happened, often. :D

Roostercruiser
May 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
All runs I've been on have been great with everyone supporting, spotting, cleaning up and driving on trail in a very commendable fashion. There's only one thing I'd like to remind everyone to pay attention to and always keep in mind.

Always make sure you can see the person behind you in the mirror. If you can't see them - stop. The reasons are obvious but my experience has shown it's not always done.

or when on the road leaving the trail. lol

Chris
May 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM
or when on the road leaving the trail. lol

Once on pavement everyone's on their own! :lol:

Roostercruiser
May 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM
i can keep up now im back on all cylinders yea

Pathrat
May 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Once on pavement everyone's on their own! :lol:

At the mercy of their GPS units

Funrover
May 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I always try to keep the others in my mirror.. I often get in trouble for going to slow.. LOL

Pathrat
May 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I always try to keep the others in my mirror.. I often get in trouble for going to slow.. LOL

Good, I will follow you next time! :)

Funrover
May 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
LOL.. Fair enough

Roostercruiser
May 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM
my bad habit is on trails i know i forgot that some dont know so i tend to at night and it really makes it harder for others

4Runninfun
May 7th, 2009, 04:35 AM

yeah you do! poke-a-long! especially up cottonwood pass when SOME people need momentum to get up the pass.

Swath
May 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Great idea to stress to everyone, we always did this with the dirt bikes on the trails.

Another great trail ettiquette is to let folks you meet know how many rigs are behind you by holding up the number of fingers for the number of rigs in your group behind you. A handfull of 5 if more than that, last one in the group should give a closed fist sign to indicate they are the last one in your group. Quite handy, you will very often the the dirt bikers doing this to you on the trail. Good practice.:thunb:

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Good point for people who don't know the hand signs. I've been impressed that 99% of dirt bikers do this but considering how vulnerable they are I can understand it. With trucks meeting the lead should stop and discuss a cooperative way to pass each other which I suspect everyone here does already.

SCRubicon
May 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM

That's not ettiquette, it is common sense... But, if it was that common...

SCRubicon
May 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Great idea to stress to everyone, we always did this with the dirt bikes on the trails.

Another great trail ettiquette is to let folks you meet know how many rigs are behind you by holding up the number of fingers for the number of rigs in your group behind you. A handfull of 5 if more than that, last one in the group should give a closed fist sign to indicate they are the last one in your group. Quite handy, you will very often the the dirt bikers doing this to you on the trail. Good practice.:thunb:

I only have 2 fingers to hold up for the dirt bikers...

1freaky1
May 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
HMMMM, sound like a familar problem there Mike, The mirror thing, seems we ran into this a few times HUH! (Jenny Creek & Bill Moore)

Gecko Cycles
May 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
This great speaker is coming to Denver tomorrow night. We are going and we have 8 free tickets. If you are interested, please RSVP via 303-761-4818 or ladawn13@gmail.com.

T. Harv Eker

Author of Best Seller "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind"

Coming to Denver

LIVE and In Person!!

First Time in 5 Years

Tuesday, May 5th

7:00 - 9:30 pm

Colorado Convention Center

My GF is going. I told her the secret already but she insists on hearing it from someone else I guess.

STOP SPENDING MORE THAN YOU MAKE! YOU'RE CREDIT CARD LIMIT IS NOT HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE! :lol:

Gecko Cycles
May 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
i was so cold and alone out there in the woods with no one to protect me, i was very skerred for my life. A black bear came up to me and asked if i was ok, i told him i was broke down and no one to help, he stayed and kept me company till gecko and pete came back...
Hey I never left you. The bear was your arm pit talking to you.

Also if you are the last one you can't just stop and be good Samaritan to some guy who got plowed in without the agreement of the group on the ride. That broke up the group into 3 groups and when I saw no one behind me I doubled back. Now I was last and looking for more stragglers.

I know you have some testosterone needs. :lol:

Gecko Cycles
May 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
my bad habit is on trails i know i forgot that some dont know so i tend to at night and it really makes it harder for othersWhat kind of Cowboy Jargon is this?
Ever hear of caps and or at least punctuation? :bang:

Gecko Cycles
May 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
And one finger to non yielding down hill traffic. :rant:

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
STOP SPENDING MORE THAN YOU MAKE!

That's the truth but it makes for a short seminar. ;)

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Like those punks on Tin Cup... I hope they got what they deserved.... Personally I can't wait to get so personal protection so I can use my dirtbike!

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Trail leader - Watch out on Sunday, I had a quad come around one of the many blind turns two winters ago and slam into me there. Effed up my left front headlight area and stiffed me after saying he'd pay for the damage. :mad:

Good thing was he split the shell of his quad. :thunb:

WINKY
May 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
id get his license number and phone number. if there was damage, i would make sure he paid for it, either with money or something else :)

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I did and he was based at Ft Carson, was going to call his commanding officer so he'd really get his @ss chewed. I apparently lost the info in Moab, such is life.

Hypoid
May 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM
HMMMM, sound like a familar problem there Mike, The mirror thing, seems we ran into this a few times HUH! (Jenny Creek & Bill Moore)
LMAO! Shuuuup...:lol:

The mirror thing is good, but with a larger group you can get everyone really strung out on the trail. That is when you discover the person who has the resource you need is waaaaaay up front.

I've been threatened with a CB more than once. Now that I have one I need to tune the antenna.

Hypoid
May 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM

I might have passed you on a trail. LOL That is how I learned.

WINKY
May 8th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Ill repeat what i said earlier, i think it is the simplest sure fire no room for error way to ensure the group stay solid, as long as each person keeps in view the person behind them there will never be a issue or problem.

On the last run i went with a few of the guys, i was waiting around corners, ensuring there were no problems. when i went through a tough area i waited for all 3 to get in view then proceeded, i could get away with seeing all since there was 4 total in our group.

Remember the term K.I.S.S dont get it complicated, just keep someone in view: problem solved.

WINKY
May 8th, 2009, 03:13 AM
oh and try and have someone with a cb in last position, that way if there is a problem it can get put over the air. the lead should have a cb as well, its just common sense.

Gecko Cycles
May 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM
And a good one. I could hear the better CB's on mine but I guess no one could hear me when we were up Bunce that day. There was a bunch of traffic on #4 which made it harder to understand what was going on too.

If this happens again we need to regroup and change to a different channel.

Just keep the guy behind you in site at all times and all will work out even without CB's which I think is as important as gas or farts.

Roostercruiser
May 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM
What kind of Cowboy Jargon is this?
Ever hear of caps and or at least punctuation? :bang:

sorry if im very very dyslecic and ive been to several class to fix the problem but hasnt helped. to me what i write makes sense. whats in my head and whats makes it to print really dont match up right. thats why i drive a truck for a living so i really dont have to write. sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to write a simple paragragh, thats why if you look at all my post they are very short, they may not make sense all the time. Sorry if i cant write.......................

Chris
May 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM
No need to apologize Roland, dyslexia sucks and your writing is fine.

:thunb:

Screweder
May 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I completely agree with Chris. Just keep typin, and those who care will piece it together :thunb:

Screweder
May 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
And if it makes you feel any better... I think some of my stories make sence and are pretty damn funny... But thats usually not the case :lol:

WINKY
May 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
i still love ya cowboy, and i know that your on a cell phone typing most of this all the time. :)

Whitey Jr
May 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM
i know im a little late on the reply but thanks for the trail ettiqutte sorta rules. i am deffinatly a newbie to wheeling outside of stupid teenage runs through the nearist park. and i have always tried to figure out whats a to do and whats a not to do. thanks chris

Chris
May 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Nice thing about a forum is there's no such thing as late.

Runs through the nearest is definitely not something acceptable as you know. Everything that's listed here is info everyone needs to be familiar with: http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/responsible-four/Recreation-Tips.html

Travel responsibly on designated roads and trails or in permitted areas.
Travel only in areas open to four-wheel drive vehicles.
For your safety, travel straight up or down hills. Don’t traverse the face of a hill; you may slip sideways or roll your vehicle.
Drive over, not around obstacles to avoid widening the trail.
Cross large rocks and other obstacles slowly, at an angle one wheel at a time.
Cross ravines slowly at a 45-degree angle.
Straddle ruts, gullies, and washouts even if they are wider than your vehicle.
Cross streams only at designated fording points, or where the road crosses the stream.
When possible, avoid mud. Save wet, muddy trails for another day when they are dry. If you do come upon mud on the trail, don’t widen the trail by going around it. Drive through it by going easy on the gas to avoid wheel spin, which can cause rutting.
Don’t turn around on narrow roads, steep terrain, or unstable ground. Backup until you find a safe place to turn around.
Stop frequently and reconnoiter ahead on foot.
Go easy on the throttle and avoid riding the brake or clutch.
To help with traction, balance your load and lower tire pressure to where you see a bulge (typically not less than 20 pounds).
Know where the differential or the lowest point on your vehicle is.
Maintain a reasonable distance between vehicles.
Comply with all signs and barriers.
Travel with a group of two or more vehicles. Driving solo can leave you vulnerable if you have an accident or breakdown. Designate meeting areas in case of separation.
Choose the appropriate winch for your vehicle size.
Attach towing cable, tree strap, or chain as low as possible to the object being winched. Let the winch do the work; never drive the winch.
Respect the rights of others including private property owners and all recreational trail users, campers and others to allow them to enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed.
Be considerate of others on the road or trail.
Leave gates as you find them.
If crossing private property, be sure to ask permission from the landowner(s).
Yield the right of way to those passing you or traveling uphill. Yield to mountain bikers, hikers, and horses.
Do not idly ride around in camping, picnicking, trailhead, and residential areas.
Keep speeds low around crowds and in camping areas.
Keep the noise and dust down.
Educate yourself by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies, planning for your trip, taking recreation skills classes, and knowing how to use and operate your equipment safely.
Obtain a map of your destination and determine which areas are open to off-highway vehicles.
Make a realistic plan, and stick to it. Always tell someone of your travel plans.
Contact the land manager for area restrictions, closures, and permit requirements.
Check the weather forecast before you go.
Prepare for the unexpected by packing necessary emergency items.
Buckle-up! Seat belts are mandatory.
Know your limitations. Watch your time, your fuel, and your energy.
Take an off-highway driving course to learn more about negotiating terrain in a four-wheel drive vehicle.
Make sure your vehicle is mechanically up to task. Be prepared with tools, supplies, spares, and a spill kit for trailside repairs.
Avoid sensitive areas such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams, unless on designated routes.
Other sensitive habitats to avoid unless on designated routes include cryptobiotic soils of the desert, tundra, and seasonal nesting or breeding areas.
Avoid disturbing historical, archeological, and paleontological sites.
Avoid “spooking” livestock and wildlife you encounter and keep your distance.
Motorized and mechanized vehicles are not allowed in areas designated Wilderness.
Do your part by leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species, restoring degraded areas, and joining a local enthusiast organization.
Carry a trash bag on your vehicle and pick up litter left by others.
Pack out what you pack in.
Practice minimum impact camping by using established sites, camping 200 feet from water resources and trails.
Observe proper sanitary waste disposal or pack your waste out.
Protect the soundscape by preventing unnecessary noise created by a poorly tuned vehicle or revving your engine without need.
Following a ride, wash your vehicle to reduce the spread of invasive species.
Don’t mix driving with alcohol or drug

SCRubicon
May 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I don't firmly believe in this,

Travel with a group of two or more vehicles. Driving solo can leave you vulnerable if you have an accident or breakdown.

because I follow these...

Make a realistic plan, and stick to it. Always tell someone of your travel plans.

Know your limitations. Watch your time, your fuel, and your energy.

An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

4Runninfun
May 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Steve i think you going out solo is different than some others here. You've been out wheeling for quite a while and have had a taste for most situations. For many of the new guys on this site i would STRONGLY advise against this. In this case there's just no substitute for experience. If anyone does choose to go it alone, make sure you have enough supplies to last for a few days in the summer and a week in the winter. Keep in mind also just because it's june doesn't mean the high country won't get snow. and the ability to walk out from where ever you are.

SCRubicon
May 12th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Steve i think you going out solo is different than some others here. You've been out wheeling for quite a while and have had a taste for most situations. For many of the new guys on this site i would STRONGLY advise against this. In this case there's just no substitute for experience. If anyone does choose to go it alone, make sure you have enough supplies to last for a few days in the summer and a week in the winter. Keep in mind also just because it's june doesn't mean the high country won't get snow. and the ability to walk out from where ever you are.

I do agree with that statement Jon. :)

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Barb & I wheel alone and I think both Jon & Steve are right, stuff can happen and if you're only 99% prepared Murphy will find that 1% and nail you fast & hard.

Pathrat
May 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
sorry if im very very dyslecic and ive been to several class to fix the problem but hasnt helped. to me what i write makes sense. whats in my head and whats makes it to print really dont match up right. thats why i drive a truck for a living so i really dont have to write. sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to write a simple paragragh, thats why if you look at all my post they are very short, they may not make sense all the time. Sorry if i cant write.......................

Don't worry about it. :) There are a number of us who can tell what you mean and those who don't can always ask for polite clarification.

BOYoda
May 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM
dzlpwr you may have had an exhaust leak also. I hear hemoglobin has 256 times more of an affinity for Carbon monoxide than Oxygen. I don't know if that can cause halucinations though.

WINKY
May 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
dzlpwr you may have had an exhaust leak also. I hear hemoglobin has 256 times more of an affinity for Carbon monoxide than Oxygen. I don't know if that can cause halucinations though.

huh...?:confused: lol

BOYoda
May 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
btw good sum up of the ettiquette. up till know i've known golf ettiquette only.

robert

Brody
May 15th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Don't worry about it. :) There are a number of us who can tell what you mean and those who don't can always ask for polite clarification.

Yeah...no kidding, Roland...do not worry about it. Like I said before, I can make sense out of what you write and I bet at least 90% of everyone else here can, too. The other ten percent can ask what you mean...:)

Roostercruiser
May 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Before i met this group all i did was solo runs or with one other truck. After a while you know what you and your truck are capable of. You know what you limits are, and if you think you cant make it 9 out 10 your right and shouldnt try it. Always let someone know where you are going. Sometimes I would have a second TOPO map and highlighht the trials that we were gonna do that day and leave it with our family or help if we needed it. Also we would let them know what time we should be home.