PDA

View Full Version : How About Stockers w/o Lockers

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Anyone interested in trying this again? Looking over the newer members it looks like there would be a lot more interested.

Just a thought. ;)

Aaron
May 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
So, what exactly is "this"?

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Stockers w/o Lockers was a run that IIRC SCRubicon conceived last year that didn't work out. The idea is an easy run for people running stock 4x4's and don't have lockers. Considering there are about 100 more people here than last year I suspect the result would be different this time around.

Yes, others can run it but can't turn their lockers on or whatever to keep everyone on equal terms more or less.

Aaron
May 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Stockers w/o Lockers was a run that IIRC SCRubicon conceived last year that didn't work out. The idea is an easy run for people running stock 4x4's and don't have lockers. Considering there are about 100 more people here than last year I suspect the result would be different this time around.

Yes, others can run it but can't turn their lockers on or whatever to keep everyone on equal terms more or less.

Thats what I thought. I would be in...

By the way, do most of the runs on this site require lockers? I was under the impression that you had to get to a level 6 or so before needing lockers but I am a noob so educate me :)

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Most runs do not require lockers but it's always good to ask. It's pretty impressive what can be done w/o lockers and I'm of the belief it's good to run a year or so w/o them so you can know your trucks (and your own) ability before doing any mods.

I did that the first year I had my truck though I wisely added sliders before going to Moab. I ran Fins & Things, Elephant Hill & Porcupine Rim in Moab open as well as Imogene & Black Bear in Ouray and lots of local trails. Sliders for protection is a very good idea, they don't help the performance at all but sure can save some metal.

Back to our runs, many, many of the harder trails have bypasses. I don't rely on the trail ratings since I've found them unreliable as a predictor of obstacles. Many trails are rated difficult simply due to a narrow trail, steep drop or switchbacks. The "pucker factor" seems to have more effect than obstacles. Always feel free to ask about a trail and you'll get an honest opinion. The other consideration is a good spotter who can get you through obstacles that will suprise you.

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I did it last year.... I am up for it again!

H3_Mafia
May 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I'd be up for this also since Im a noob to wheeling and still have alot to learn.

scoutfam
May 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'm not a stocker but I don't have lockers yet so I guess I can be in. heck I missed the anniversery run so I just want an excuse to meet every one of at least a lot of someones......

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not a stocker but I don't have lockers yet so I guess I can be in. heck I missed the anniversery run so I just want an excuse to meet every one of at least a lot of someones......

I went in my rover.. not stock... but no lockers.. You just have to watch for path/hugh and their big weiners.... lunch time is interesting haha

JeepersCreepers
May 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I'm in, pending the date of the trip. I'm unlocked and READY TO ROCK!!!!! OHhhhh yeah!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

Pathrat
May 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I went in my rover.. not stock... but no lockers.. You just have to watch for path/hugh and their big weiners.... lunch time is interesting haha

Funrover, I do NOT have a big weiner :p

Aaron
May 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
So, not exactly stock but definitely not locked. I'm in depending on the date.

And yeah, Chris. Sliders are my next purchase. I've got Brody lined up.

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I did it last year.... I am up for it again!

See how little I know about what goes on here, I thought it didn't come off at all. :o

So how about taking the lead on this Funrover?

:thunb:

jpiercep
May 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM
If and when I get this truck of mine up and running I am in if we do it on a Sunday.... Sounds like fun

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM
See how little I know about what goes on here, I thought it didn't come off at all. :o

So how about taking the lead on this Funrover?

:thunb:

I will see when I can and look for trails to do. Last year we did Kingston Peak and Loch Lomond Lake. I will think of a good combo... This sunday is pretty much a stockers run with the exception of 1 trail.

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Those trails would be good again unless you want to change to something different. It looks like there's a half dozen or so already interested. Keep us posted on what you decide. ;)

Brody
May 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM

And I, for one, don't even want to know about Aaron knowing that Hugh has a big weiner or how he acquired that particular piece of information....a little to much info..And Pathrat...not that I ever had any doubts, mind you, but thanks for the clarification all the same...

I would be up for this, too. The last run was supposed to be fun and SCRUBICON puposefully misled everyone with the info that it wasn't...He got me too on this....

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
The last run was supposed to be fun and SCRUBICON puposefully misled everyone with the info that it wasn't...He got me too on this....

:o Geez, I didn't think I was that slow. :lol:

sd_carl
May 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Sounds fun (except for the weiners ;) ). I like easy trails, and I can leave the lockers off.

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I like to explore new areas... We also have a lot of folks further north now. I think we did this in August or sept last year.. it was great timing!

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Sounds fun (except for the weiners ;) ). I like easy trails, and I can leave the lockers off.

LOL.. yeah you have to be careful with the weiners.... Hugh/path show up with big smiles.. I get nervious.. :lol:

78bronco
May 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
when is it? ill do it

Chris
May 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Funrover will come up with a date and place. I believe he's looking at August/Sept.

Pathrat
May 7th, 2009, 10:07 PM
And I, for one, don't even want to know about Aaron knowing that Hugh has a big weiner or how he acquired that particular piece of information....a little to much info..And Pathrat...not that I ever had any doubts, mind you, but thanks for the clarification all the same...

I would be up for this, too. The last run was supposed to be fun and SCRUBICON puposefully misled everyone with the info that it wasn't...He got me too on this....

Gatemonkey gave his to Funrover at lunch on the last run :D

and thank you for not doubting me Brody :)

dr350jja
May 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
When you do Kingston Peak trail, do you start on the Rollinsville side and take it all the way to St. Mary's Glacier at I-70??

I think it would be really fun to do Caribou Creek and then continue on and do Kingston Peak. Could make it to the top of Kingston and then turn around and head back to Hwy 72 :D

1freaky1
May 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
There is always Chinns Lake and Fall River, Waldorf/ Sanitago Mine to Staircase to heaven, Argentine pass and Saxon Mountian that fits the bill for stockers.

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM
There is always Chinns Lake and Fall River, Waldorf/ Sanitago Mine to Staircase to heaven, Argentine pass and Saxon Mountian that fits the bill for stockers.

I am not a big fan of Saxon due to the fact I have driven that in my car a few times.. I want to go harder than that.

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
When you do Kingston Peak trail, do you start on the Rollinsville side and take it all the way to St. Mary's Glacier at I-70??

I think it would be really fun to do Caribou Creek and then continue on and do Kingston Peak. Could make it to the top of Kingston and then turn around and head back to Hwy 72 :D

Yes, start on the Rollinsville side, went over then to Loch Lomen Lake then down Fall River to I-70

Brody
May 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I am not a big fan of Saxon due to the fact I have driven that in my car a few times.. I want to go harder than that.

Yes...amen to that! There are enough roads that got into 4Wheel drive books as '4wheel drive roads' already! Many of these I ran with regular old 2WD cars. Just cause it's dirt don't make it 4x4....

4Runninfun
May 8th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Just cause it's dirt don't make it 4x4....

Thats a sig worthy line right there.

Gecko Cycles
May 8th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Yes...amen to that! There are enough roads that got into 4Wheel drive books as '4wheel drive roads' already! Many of these I ran with regular old 2WD cars. Just cause it's dirt don't make it 4x4....I know I'm new here but it seams to me that 98% of the rides that go from this site outside of a single poser rock can be done with any decent clearance vehicle. Great for those who have families that don't like to be shook up and get scared easily but not much for anything NEEDING 4 wheel drive.

In saying this I believe this is a needed site just for those people who like to go on dirt roads in the mountains which most of the other sites don't offer.

Brody
May 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I agree to a certain extent...Many of the roads listed in Charles Well's books are pretty misleading as to being four wheel drive roads. I have run many of them in either a Kia, a Honda Accord, or an old Volvo 745 wagon, none of which I would say is a 4WD rig, just getting to and from rock climbs.

Many of the runs that get posted are maybe a step or two above these, but are on the low end of the 4x4 spectrum, and, like you said, are better suited to families that want to get out and explore, but want to avoid the harder trails.

I have been avoiding doing some of the harder trails simply due to the economic situation as I really don't have the $$ to fix anything major that breaks...nor can I afford an astronomical tow bill at the moment. The other reason is that, up until I got the 84 PU, my rig was my DD/work truck and it had to be running Monday AM. This has changed to some degree, but economics still have me erring on the side of caution whether I like it or not.

We still like to get out whether it is a hard run or an easy run. LaDawn and I are actually looking forward to doing some of the harder trails this year, so if you feel like posting up some harder runs, by all means do so and we will probably join you! There are quite a few of us that would also be happy to do some of the harder trails: Fred, Warlord, SCRUBICON, and Dave Pritchett to name a few, as these guys have the set up rigs to do them.

I was actually surprised that no one is really interested in going up to Wheeler Lake just to see how far we can push the trail. This wouldn't be easy for sure, and would entail a bit of getting stuck and snow bashing, but it would be fun to me. I wouldn't call this an 'easy' trail, though it certainly isn't a hard one. The lack of response is what you would call 'underwhelming'...

So, post up some harder runs and see what happens....There are folks here who, I'm sure, want to test out the capabilities of their rigs...and not on some scenic 'wannabe 4 wheel drive road' either

WINKY
May 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
i would go with ya pete on wheeler mtn, but i dont have the fuel $ and my winch isnt on yet of which would be very useful! I am going to try to get it on this weekend or this coming week.

WINKY
May 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I know I'm new here but it seams to me that 98% of the rides that go from this site outside of a single poser rock can be done with any decent clearance vehicle. Great for those who have families that don't like to be shook up and get scared easily but not much for anything NEEDING 4 wheel drive.

In saying this I believe this is a needed site just for those people who like to go on dirt roads in the mountains which most of the other sites don't offer.

Like me, my truck will never be a rock crawler or capable of doing many things that the smaller vehicles or built rigs can do. And that is fine :) i like the diversity of vehicle capability this site offers, as it really doesnt limit anyone from having fun on other trails. Ive said it before, if someone wants to do a trail that is not suited for other vehicles capabilities, that is ok! Plan your ride and you will get people to join that know what their rig can do. I am sure no ones feelings will be hurt if a ride is posted that they cant get their vehicle through. If anything there might be an opportunity to ride along right seat. If not there are plenty of people planning stuff of differing difficulties all the time. I am just glad to know a good bunch of people that dont put anyone down cause they can or cant do this or that :)

Aaron
May 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Like me, my truck will never be a rock crawler or capable of doing many things that the smaller vehicles or built rigs can do. And that is fine :) i like the diversity of vehicle capability this site offers, as it really doesnt limit anyone from having fun on other trails. Ive said it before, if someone wants to do a trail that is not suited for other vehicles capabilities, that is ok! Plan your ride and you will get people to join that know what their rig can do. I am sure no ones feelings will be hurt if a ride is posted that they cant get their vehicle through. If anything there might be an opportunity to ride along right seat. If not there are plenty of people planning stuff of differing difficulties all the time. I am just glad to know a good bunch of people that dont put anyone down cause they can or cant do this or that :)

x2. Perhaps we could come up with a FR rating of a trail so that we, as individuals, can dump ourselves into a category. For example, I think my rig is capable of moderate level runs (no lockers required but challenging otherwise) but my experience leaves me in the easy, easy/moderate range.

Perhaps there are already too many rating systems out there already. I don't know. Thoughts?

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Runs are determined by the people here. If nobody posts a run you're wanting to do then you should post it. What's hard for some is easy for others and vice versa. The only suggestion I have is to give sufficient lead time for people to plan to go.

So, post up some harder runs and see what happens....There are folks here who, I'm sure, want to test out the capabilities of their rigs...and not on some scenic 'wannabe 4 wheel drive road' either

Personally I've lost interest in testing capabilities in favor of plain old good times going where most people can't or don't choose to go. I was surprised to see Phantom Canyon/Shelf Road in Wells book because I found that before I had 4WD and drove it in my Avalon. I still enjoy the road.

Again, like Pete says "post up some harder runs and see what happens"

:cheers:

Brody
May 8th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I was surprised to see Phantom Canyon/Shelf Road in Wells book because I found that before I had 4WD and drove it in my Avalon. I still enjoy the road.

Stoney Pass and Makutat (FS 211) are also listed and both of these are 2WD roads. I never understood the mentality of listing what amounts to a bumpy dirt road as a 4WD road...Phantom Canyon/Shelf Road is a scenic 2WD road...Maybe Wells decided to list these as 'fillers' for more pages, but he also left out some really good trails that get a lot of use...and are actualy 4WD trails.

This is the equilevant of me putting scenic hiking trails in one of my rock climbing guides...people want to climb and info on how to get there, not info on a quaint little hiking trail...and I didn't for that reason....

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM
One thing Coloradans sometime fail to remember is one man's drive in the park may not be the next guys. I lived in the Midwest for 50+ years where the highest elevation is just a bump in the road here.

Reminded me of a comment of Bill Bryson from one of his books.

Gecko Cycles
May 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I have posted some harder runs but I don't give enough notice. Not everyone or hardly anyone is a spur of the moment guy like I am.

I'm with you Pete on not being able to afford to break anything. Maybe I should take it easy on my DD and my only vehicle at this time. LOL

As for rating, use Trail Damage and you will be fine. Get to know your limits based on their rating system. It seems to be pretty good and consistent. Just about any 4x can do a 4 rated trail and 3 for sure. Check for the by pass options in the trail descriptions too. The low rating is using the bypasses and the high is taking the hardest line there is.

As for Wheeler I don't think Randy can do it in Brutus. There is 2 short steep climbs over some rock that I think you may high center on. I have never looked at in the same perspective as a full size rig though. You will be needing the big winch for sure with no locker. I'm just not sure if you can hit it at enough of an angle to clear the center. We might be able to rock stack, jack and winch you up though. Sounds like allot of work.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/wheeler_lake/030726/derek_up_the_second_obstacle_part_2.jpg
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/wheeler_lake/030726/joe_up_the_second_obstacle_part_2.jpg

I'd be up for it a bit later in the year. I thought I said that before. I'll check and may drive up there this Sat or Sun to check it out.

okiejeep
May 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM
So, not exactly stock but definitely not locked. I'm in depending on the date.

And yeah, Chris. Sliders are my next purchase. I've got Brody lined up.

You are right! Get the sliders. My second run, in Clayton Ok, I cratered my passenger side rocker, and the body shop want's $900 to fix it. I guess I'll hammer it out, and cover it with some POR-15 and add armor over it!

1freaky1
May 8th, 2009, 08:03 AM
It seems we have gotten off track again on this one, stockers w/o lockers and with so many new folks on here and new people to the wheeling side of things not everyone has the experience or now what to expect form their rides. Now I am not saying we should stick to the easy trails but we need to keep in mind that this is for all levels of experience and for stock to full mod and no lockers kind a run. From what I gathered at the beginning of this posting it was to get some of the lesser experienced folks a chance to gain some experience and test out their rides to get comfy with the capabilities, so did I miss the general purpose here?

Gecko Cycles
May 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM
One thing Coloradans sometime fail to remember is one man's drive in the park may not be the next guys. I lived in the Midwest for 50+ years where the highest elevation is just a bump in the road here.

Reminded me of a comment of Bill Bryson from one of his books. That is a good one! :lol: Not funny though if you are THAT guy!

I happened onto a trail like that once in my full size Chevy. Scared the living daylights out of me! My downhill wheels were on slippery shale with an easy 1000' drop before I would of even touched terra firma then proceed to tumble down to what must have been Hell if there was such thing.

I love my ATV size Sammy.

Brody
May 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM
You are right! Get the sliders. My second run, in Clayton Ok, I cratered my passenger side rocker, and the body shop want's $900 to fix it. I guess I'll hammer it out, and cover it with some POR-15 and add armor over it!

Sliders are cheap when you put the price of expensive body panels against the price of the sliders. This is the very first suggestion I make to anyone interested in running harder trails. Not to mention that if you crush both the rocker panel and the door, not only will the door not open or close and be costly to replace, straightening out the rocker panel to get everything working right again so that the 'new' door works, is extremely time consuming (read 'money drain') for the body shop to do. See the above quote....

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
It seems we have gotten off track again on this one, stockers w/o lockers and with so many new folks on here and new people to the wheeling side of things not everyone has the experience or now what to expect form their rides. Now I am not saying we should stick to the easy trails but we need to keep in mind that this is for all levels of experience and for stock to full mod and no lockers kind a run. From what I gathered at the beginning of this posting it was to get some of the lesser experienced folks a chance to gain some experience and test out their rides to get comfy with the capabilities, so did I miss the general purpose here?

Not at all Sean, that is exactly the purpose of this run. :thunb:

Gecko Cycles
May 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Funny how that works and no you are right! :thunb:

Bunce and Slaughter House are both good without lockers and yet still give a wheeling experience with out fear of rolling not just a dirt road drive.

1freaky1
May 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Funny how that works and no you are right! :thunb:

Bunce and Slaughter House are both good without lockers and yet still give a wheeling experience with out fear of rolling not just a dirt road drive.

That is the same with Mammoth gulch its an easy kind a trail w/ a few things off to the side that can be done for more fun Like gaining some air (guilty 3 times)I just wish my son would have had the camera out to catch me in flight.
But again it is a decent ride, most of the ones I post are in general for most levels of rides and experience, some are rated easy but like a lot of you know there is always something on each trail to make them more challenging ie. rocks, waterholes, mud, logs. I think that is why I like Waldorf area so much there are so many things one can experiance in one trip rock fields, river crossings, deep ruts and mud and snow, and for the scenic types there is all kinds of old mines in the area and beautiful views.

Brody
May 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Additionally, many of the newer folks who haven't done much wheeling need to coached to some degree as to how and why a spotter is necessary as well as to some of the other aspects of wheeling in general. Personally I would rather learn this on an easy to moderate trail, than one where I was already up on three wheels...

Kinda like my first (and only so far) sky dive...I was hanging with the folks that did a lot of BASE jumping years ago...remember the guys that jumped from the 52 story United Bank building and one of them cratered and broke his leg...Anyway...one of those guys. One of them wanted to trade climbing lessons (I was running my rock and ice climbing school at the time) for sky diving lessons, so...

We are driving up to the airport, me and 3 of this crew, and he tells me that when I sign in to write down that I was from Cali and had done 200 jumps. I knew that this was going to be more than I bargained for...As we got closer, I was coached as to 'how to sky dive' in 15 minutes or less. It turns out that for my very first jump, we were going to do a free fall dive from 10,000 feet. All I had to do was to be VERY SURE where the reserve chute handle was and to pull the cord when I was told...

Got it...you betcha...Not being one to back down from scary stuff (and I was more getting scared here than simply a little nervous), I decided to just tough it out and do it. Turns out that we jumped out as close together as possible, then two of these guys (hard to call them friends at this point) got on each side of me to make sure I pulled the cord at the right time...It worked, I landed without breaking anything, even though a bit less than gracefully...

Was it exciting? Hell yeah! Did I have fun? Well...no, not really, just ended up feeling like I missed a few lessons...and glad I didn't end up a puddle on the ground someone had to mop up...

Same can be applied to wheeling easy trails...a gradual learning curve is usually less brutal than a sharp one....

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I think that is why I like Waldorf area so much

We already have Waldorf/Argentine scheduled twice - June 22nd & June 28th ;)

That happens to be Barb's favorite local trail.

1freaky1
May 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Caribou is a good one, it has a short ledge section, rocks, mud and ruts. And several off shoots, and several other trails close by like Jenny Creek.

seangillis11b
May 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM
im in im a stocker

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I will get on this and post up ideas!

Pathrat
May 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Same can be applied to wheeling easy trails...a gradual learning curve is usually less brutal than a sharp one....

my :2c:
I just went out and did it when I was new. Not really advisable but I followed the Wells ratings and tried small stuff and knew enough to figure out what to do when I ran into the minor, unexpected obstacles. This entailed getting out of the truck a lot, and watching my shotgun spotter. Yes, I know, don't go without a buddy truck. However, this is what I did for my first season, and it was the beginnings of the nice, gradual learning curve I have been on ever since.

Newbies: go on this run.
Old guys: Watch the new guys and help them with feedback on what their rigs can do and how they drive. You all did this with me and it helped immensely.

Pathrat
May 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Caribou would be good, I second that. Some nice mud there too.

Rovers4now
May 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I'd be in depending on date.

Brody
May 9th, 2009, 06:09 AM
We already have Waldorf/Argentine scheduled twice - June 22nd & June 28th ;)

Why is this, anyway?

1freaky1
May 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Why is this, anyway?

I think that was my fault hehehe naa, last year could not get to argentine until 1st or 2nd week in July so I was thinking it will most likely be the same this year.

Chris
May 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Why is this, anyway?

Why not? We'll see what happens since there may be enough of us to make both work depending on availability and such. To answer your question, I have no idea...

DKDunn04
May 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I would like to go, but im not stock, and have a non-selectable locker in the back, so I cant turn it off. Does this mean im not welcome?:erm:

Chris
May 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm in the same position as are many, everyone's welcome at any run. ;)

DKDunn04
May 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Ok good

Roostercruiser
May 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
ive went my whole life w/out lockers and ran 1/2 the trails in colorado. you learn which lines to take and be more carefull. its funner because its more challeenging to an extent. i have no idea how really drive with lockers. im looking foward to it one day, i know ive been in sitiuations whwere it would hvae help out for sure.

Screweder
May 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'm down to wheel and learn from the greats!

SCRubicon
May 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
wow, up to 4 pages already...

Brody
May 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I would like to go, but im not stock, and have a non-selectable locker in the back, so I cant turn it off. Does this mean im not welcome?:erm:

I can hardly be counted as stock, but I figured that if it was a fun enough trail, we would go, too.

And yes...anyone is welcome, no matter what you are driving.

JeepersCreepers
May 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm in on this run, of course depending on the date. If anyone's up to it I would personally like to try something harder than china wall to see what my rig is capable of.

4Runninfun
May 10th, 2009, 03:57 AM
c'mon funrover lets get some dates setup. whats the hold-up? :D

H3_Mafia
May 11th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I also have a rear locker but still need to learn alot. Loof forward also to this run!

Funrover
May 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Okay so I have some wanting harder than China Wall but others who want to go easy and are totally new at this. I am going to plan on a Saturday in late August.

Pathrat
May 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Okay so I have some wanting harder than China Wall but others who want to go easy and are totally new at this. I am going to plan on a Saturday in late August.

I'd chime in to keep it within range of stockers, which is the point of the run.

Funrover
May 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'd chime in to keep it within range of stockers, which is the point of the run.

%100 AGREE!!!! I am going to look for something with optional lines but the main trail is stock friendly. :thunb:

Roostercruiser
May 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
what about the big BLM playground in grand junction . it has everything very easy to very hard

Funrover
May 12th, 2009, 06:54 AM
what about the big BLM playground in grand junction . it has everything very easy to very hard

HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LONG DRIVE for a trail run!

Aaron
May 12th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Its a drive but I'd be willing to go for a camping weekend.

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Its a drive but I'd be willing to go for a camping weekend.

It would be fun, but I really don't think that you would have many people going due to the drive time. I know that we wouldn't go for this reason. We drive that far, it is to be going to Moab...and we don't have that kind of gas money at the moment, anyway...neither do a lot of other folks on this site...

My vote is to do one of the many trails suitable for stockers within an hours drive of the Denver Metro or Colorado Springs areas: Yankee Hill area, Kingston Peak, Peru Creek, Bill Moore, Bunce School, Middle St Vrain, Tin Cup, etc, etc, etc..Too far a drive or figuring on camping, and you are going to lose about 80% of the people who would be interested in going.

Funrover
May 12th, 2009, 07:35 AM
It would be fun, but I really don't think that you would have many people going due to the drive time. I know that we wouldn't go for this reason. We drive that far, it is to be going to Moab...and we don't have that kind of money for gas, either...nor do a lot of other folks on the site....

My vote is to do one of the many trails suitable for stockers within an hours drive of the Denver Metro or Colorado Springs areas: Yankee Hill area, Kingston Peak, Peru Creek, Bill Moore, Bunce School, Middle St Vrain, Tin Cup, etc, etc, etc..Too far a drive or figuring on camping, and you are going to lose about 80% of the people who would be interested in going.

That's the plan.. I don't want to drive forever personally!

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM
That's the plan.. I don't want to drive forever personally!

I am way past the point where doing 8 hours of driving for a weekend anywhere is worth it. Climbing, skiing, boarding, wheeling...don't matter....Driving that far to us warrants at least a 3 day trip...One of the reasons we never go on the weekend Ouray style trips...ain't worth it...

People want me to drive that much in two days, well they better be coughing up some big change....and it is going to be for work to make money, not for pleasure....and drive time both ways...and gas...and per deim...and time and materials...

SCRubicon
May 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM
It would be fun, but I really don't think that you would have many people going due to the drive time. I know that we wouldn't go for this reason. We drive that far, it is to be going to Moab...and we don't have that kind of gas money at the moment, anyway...neither do a lot of other folks on this site...

I'd also suggest Georgia Pass, Swan River and Webster Pass.

Roostercruiser
May 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I am way past the point where doing 8 hours of driving for a weekend anywhere is worth it. Climbing, skiing, boarding, wheeling...don't matter....Driving that far to us warrants at least a 3 day trip...One of the reasons we never go on the weekend Ouray style trips...ain't worth it...

People want me to drive that much in two days, well they better be coughing up some big change....and it is going to be for work to make money, not for pleasure....and drive time both ways...and gas...and per deim...and time and materials...

i forgot its 3-4 hrs away. im so used to drivin i go to KansasCity on Mondays and Weds and Wichita on fridays. Ive never drivin my suburban past Colo Springs and Loveland ski area before. For me it would be a full tank out and a tank to play and a tank to come back. Yea it would be very expensive trip, never mind on GrandJunction

Pathrat
May 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Good suggestions. Keep in mind we have a run scheduled for Bill Moore- Ladies Run and Tin Cup is one of the Wheelers for the Wounded trails (I'm on that one). Caribou is one to consider too; it will be muddy.

I'd also suggest Georgia Pass, Swan River and Webster Pass.

Great suggestions as well. Swan River/Middle Fork would be nice, got pretty lost last time up.

billsbar
May 12th, 2009, 10:18 PM
HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LONG DRIVE for a trail run!

you ain't kidding, try it in a Sami

I'm up for it depending on when and where. I'm no where near stock but I am unlocked at the moment.

Brody
May 13th, 2009, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE=billsbar;37861]you ain't kidding, try it in a SamiQUOTE]

My rig ain't exactly a cushy 'long drive' rig either, though the hydro assist does make driving it a much easier thing. Don't have much ass to sit on either and long drives are like an eight hour motorcycle trip without getting off to often...hard to walk when you can't feel your bottom half...

I rode a 750 Norton from Jacksonville to Miami in the late 60s in one shot. Fell over in miami when I got off the bike cause I cause I couldn't feel my legs...pretty funny...same thing in my rig...Next spare grip is a set of Recaro seats....umhm...right...

itsjustdan23
May 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Is anyone crazy enough to put in front lockers with an IFS front end? I kinda pondered the thought. I know there are other options for the IFS as well.

Brody
May 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
To answer your question, it gets done all the time. There are draw backs as you do tend to go through CV joints fairly quickly. Most of the time that happens when you get a front wheel bound up and don't back off quick enough.

Warlord has been running a Detroit in the front of his IFS'd Ranger for quite awhile...and has gotten to the point where he can do a CV chage in about 20 minutes.

CVs are both plentiful and cheap at U Pull type yards, too.

So bottom line, it isn't a bad way to go for a temp fix, and you can always unload the locker onto someone who is is in the same position when you decide to do an SAS. Also, keep in mind that finding a used IFS locker of one sort or another isn't going to be that hard for the same reason. I basically gave away my Yota IFS 3rd with an Easy Locker in it when I did my SAS.

gm4x4lover
May 13th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Warlord has been running a Detroit in the front of his IFS'd Ranger for quite awhile...and has gotten to the point where he can do a CV chage in about 20 minutes.

Where are there cv's in the front of the ttb for front end?

itsjustdan23
May 14th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks Brody. I was wonderin about that whole binding issue. I guess when I decide to do a locker Ill hit my rear end first.

Brody
May 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Where are there cv's in the front of the ttb for front end?

DUH on me! There aren't! Thanks for that...I was confusing Warlord's TTB with Sean's Ranger with the IFS! He does break his front..what? Axle stub shafts? U joints?... often and can change them quickly. He managed to do one in on the last run...The only thing that I know about the TTB is that Camberg Racing does some amazing things with after market parts for them...

Bottom line: If you wheel with an IFS, especially if it is locked, chance are you are going to break a CV and carrying spares is a really good idea. As is knowing how to replace them and having both the tools and the knowledge to do it.

I don't know about Rangers, but with Toyotas at the junkyard, it seems like everyone just wants the 3rd members out of the IFS. You see the CVs just lying on the ground by the rig and all you have to do is pick them up and buy them.

Funrover
May 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
So..... How is a Georgia Pass, Glacier Hill and then over to Webster Pass? Sound like a fun loop?

This also gives an opurtunity to those that want to break off and go harder to do Red Cone and Radical Hill.

H3_Mafia
May 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
^I just checked those out on Traildamage and the scenery looks really cool.

Roostercruiser
May 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
im up for anywhere if i cant drive up it, i'll winch it:D

Funrover
May 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
^I just checked those out on Traildamage and the scenery looks really cool.

That's what I am going for, I had some help from SCRubicon and was talking to him about it.. looked at them and honestly for pictures this would be a great scenery day!

Funrover
May 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
im up for anywhere if i cant drive up it, i'll winch it:D

You'd be fine man.. Just bring the camper and the family.. Make a weekend of it! Lake Dillion has some spectacular camping!

dr350jja
May 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM
So..... How is a Georgia Pass, Glacier Hill and then over to Webster Pass? Sound like a fun loop?

Georgia Pass is a nice ride. Glacier peak is OK, except for #10 Hill (pretty tough). Webster may be a bother with a big group.

Funrover
May 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
IT IS ON THE CALENDAR!!!! AUG 29, 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCRubicon
May 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM

This also gives an opurtunity to those that want to break off and go harder to do Red Cone and Radical Hill.

I'd go Webster, Georgia to the top, then up Glacier. Follow Georgia back out to 285. :2c:

Roostercruiser
May 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
ill bring the scout and dodge:)

WINKY
May 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
if im not oncall im going!

Brody
May 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Georgia Pass is a nice ride. Glacier peak is OK, except for #10 Hill (pretty tough). Webster may be a bother with a big group.

See my 'Trail Run Suggestions' in the 'General Topics' thread. Hopefully everyone will start implementing this as it breaks the group up into smaller sections and still allows for meeting for lunch. It also allows for other, faster moving groups to pass any one of our groups.

Please feel fee to contribute to this thread if you can think of anything I either forgot or anything new that will help.

ShutUpHippie
May 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Sounds great to me, I need to figure out how to wheel this big damn truck.. I got in my Jeep the other day, and felt like I was in a Honda Civic!!

SCRubicon
May 20th, 2009, 12:50 PM

See my 'Trail Run Suggestions' in the 'General Topics' thread. Hopefully everyone will start implementing this as it breaks the group up into smaller sections and still allows for meeting for lunch. It also allows for other, faster moving groups to pass any one of our groups.

Please feel fee to contribute to this thread if you can think of anything I either forgot or anything new that will help.

I like Pete's thinking about splitting up the group. We could have one group go up Red Cone and the other go up Webster at the same time and meet at the Y. Go down hill (towards Montezuma) and break off again. Have half of the group go up Radical Hill and the other half go to Montezuma and cut up through Saints John. (passing the Wild Irishman ghost town site) Then, meet up on the Swan (a little way past the top of Radical Hill) and all head over to Georgia pass together. I've never really seen Georgia too crowded and there are multiple spurs to go up it. Do Glacier Hill, then outta there. I could take one group if Funrover takes the other.

Funrover
May 20th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I like Pete's thinking about splitting up the group. We could have one group go up Red Cone and the other go up Webster at the same time and meet at the Y. Go down hill (towards Montezuma) and break off again. Have half of the group go up Radical Hill and the other half go to Montezuma and cut up through Saints John. (passing the Wild Irishman ghost town site) Then, meet up on the Swan (a little way past the top of Radical Hill) and all head over to Georgia pass together. I've never really seen Georgia too crowded and there are multiple spurs to go up it. Do Glacier Hill, then outta there. I could take one group if Funrover takes the other.

I'm in.... Not sure about how "STOCKER" (more newbie) friendly Red Cone and Radical are. I know I enjoy Red Cone.. but it scares others... Either way it all works for me man! :thunb: It is a great way to disperse the crowd also.. for those that want more challenge they can take it.

Pathrat
May 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The ledge on Red Cone scares the crap out of me. Maybe the route could be set closer to the run, to see how many stockers there are. Seems like a good idea is to make sure the stockers are taken care of and the willing and able can do the Red Cone route.

WINKY
May 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
ill do red cone.

4Runninfun
May 21st, 2009, 04:07 AM
Red Cone is on my short list this year. I've seen pics and now I HAVE TO RUN IT! :drive:

Chris
May 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Mine too, we should make it a separate run. :thunb:

Brody
May 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
The ledge on Red Cone scares the crap out of me.

Then maybe you should run it and we'll be appreciative of the 'New You'...nicer, gentler, kinder, more PC:D:D

ShutUpHippie
May 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM
that place looks sweet, i am in if my schedule can swing it

Funrover
May 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Starting to sound as if most want to do Red cone.. Perhaps 2 groups up the Cone. If there are those that will not go I will stay run another route to more trails and have a meet up spot. I do, however, say you should do red cone.. it is a blast amd the view are amazing.

Roostercruiser
May 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
it looks alot tamer now than when i went heres what it looked like when i went. I took my mom there one time and she walked down the hill.

Pathrat
May 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Then maybe you should run it and we'll be appreciative of the 'New You'...nicer, gentler, kinder, more PC:D:D

I have driven down Red Cone, so there :p As you can see, it did nothing for my disposition.

Am I thinking of the right trail though, isn't there a ledge you have to drive to get to it? That is the part I find pretty unnerving.

Funrover
May 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
I have driven down Red Cone, so there :p As you can see, it did nothing for my disposition.

Am I thinking of the right trail though, isn't there a ledge you have to drive to get to it? That is the part I find pretty unnerving.

I really don't remember there being a ledge close by. I bet you would do better now just by the fact that you have more experiance then before!:thunb:

Pathrat
May 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
I really don't remember there being a ledge close by. I bet you would do better now just by the fact that you have more experiance then before!:thunb:

LOTS more! I'm quite sure I can do Red Cone. I did fine four years ago in a manual transmission POS with gears just as high as mine. Quite the pucker factor back then though.

Apparently I may be having trail confusion.

Funrover
May 21st, 2009, 09:44 PM
I wonder if you are thinking of radical Hill.. same area

Pathrat
May 21st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Maybe so, is that the shelf gravel road that is just a deer path in a huge pile or rocks with the Drop Off of Doom?

Funrover
May 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM
in comparison yep

ShutUpHippie
May 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM
what's with that step lookin section coming down the backside?

Funrover
May 22nd, 2009, 01:18 AM

That has been smoothed out now!

Brody
May 22nd, 2009, 05:15 AM

That section used to have some very bad bumps that spooked a lot of people. It has been smoothed out now and was done not all that long ago. There were pictures posted showing the before and after smoothing posted on the site not too long ago.

4Runninfun
May 22nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
That has been smoothed out now!

aaron this thread is getting very long and hard to keep up with. lets nail down the trail so that people can use the calendar to make sure they are going to be going on the right trail. this way we can avoid any further confusion.

Funrover
May 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
aaron this thread is getting very long and hard to keep up with. lets nail down the trail so that people can use the calendar to make sure they are going to be going on the right trail. this way we can avoid any further confusion.

It has been.. but then it is changin.. so I am gonna wait!

H3_Mafia
May 22nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
This is turning out to be a big event, very cool! I can't wait to run these trails. :D

WINKY
May 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
is this even on the calendar?

Chris
May 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Nope, this is discussing the run and when Aaron decides on all the details he will start a new thread providing them and add it to the calendar.

WINKY
May 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
ahh ok, wasnt sure if it was in stone yet :)

Chris
May 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
When it's on the calendar it's written in stone. ;)

Funrover
May 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
When it's on the calendar it's written in stone. ;)

It is on the calandar. August 29. Been there for awhile now actually. However the trails may change a little. Same area as trails on calander so it's not a big deal.

Chris
May 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
It's not showing up because it's more than 90 days out. I changed the title of this thread so you can post a new one with details of the run. Please do that when you get a chance so people don't have to read through all this to determine what's going on. ;)

Funrover
May 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
It's not showing up because it's more than 90 days out. I changed the title of this thread so you can post a new one with details of the run. Please do that when you get a chance so people don't have to read through all this to determine what's going on. ;)

Done. :thunb: I am going to use this thread for figureing out time and such still and transfer it onto that thread

dr350jja
June 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Do you plan on doing #10 Hill, with Glacier Peak? :eek:

JeepersCreepers
June 16th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Dont thinks I'll be able to make this trip. Me and the wifes anniversary that weekend.

Funrover
June 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Dont thinks I'll be able to make this trip. Me and the wifes anniversary that weekend.

Priorities man... you can go out any weekend for that anniversary stuff..LMAO!! :lol::lol:

That being said... I would hang out with the wife instead myself..just sayin :thunb:

dr350jja
July 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Any word on this:

Do you plan on doing #10 Hill (also known as S.O.B. Hill), at the end of Glacier Peak trail?? :eek:

Brody
July 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Do you plan on doing #10 Hill, with Glacier Peak? :eek:

I would assume that #10 Hill would be an option for anyone wanting to give it a go, though not necessarily a part of the planned run...

dr350jja
July 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty 'difficult' :eek: spot on the trail...if you don't go through it, you have to turn around and drive 'all the way back' the way you came :D

Brody
July 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks...I went back and read the trail description. I was thinking Radical Hill, I think, which is an option.

4Runner3Wheeler
July 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
The '03 z71 Tahoe would be up for this. It's stock except for larger tires. The rear has a locker that engages automatically when needed in 4lo. I feel it will act like a truetrac. I have only had it on a couple easy trails and have never noticed the locker engage. It's definity a stocker though.

Smash
July 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah I'm thinking Radical Hill will be too much for the Subi's, but we're in for as far as we can get!

Hypoid
August 3rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
BUMP!!!

Is there a new thread for this run?

dr350jja
August 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
#10 Hill is off the Glacier Peak trail. It's the alternate route from Georgia Pass in the Charles Wells newer edition book. I think it's about 1/8 to 1/4 mile. It's a bit tougher than I'd like. lol Think it would be a bit much for Stockers without lockers. IMHO :eek:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/dr350jja/10_Hill.jpg

Andrew
August 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Hmmm...was going to go camping near Deep Lake this weekend...not sure which to do.

Brody
August 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM
LaDawn and I are out. We are going to go to the Englewood Car Show and show some support for the wounded vets. We were planning on going, but Bill at Englewood Driveshaft told me about this event last Friday and mentioned that they needed some modified 4xs to help fill in the ranks...I think mine fits that qualification...

Funrover
August 4th, 2009, 06:51 AM
LaDawn and I are out. We are going to go to the Englewood Car Show and show some support for the wounded vets. We were planning on going, but Bill at Englewood Driveshaft told me about this event last Friday and mentioned that they needed some modified 4xs to help fill in the ranks...I think mine fits that qualification...

Have fun! :thunb:

dr350jja
August 5th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I don't know if I missed it somewhere, but are the exact trails for the run picked out yet?? Seems like there were some trails listed as maybe.

Funrover
August 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I don't know if I missed it somewhere, but are the exact trails for the run picked out yet?? Seems like there were some trails listed as maybe.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6107

Here is the new thread!