PDA

View Full Version : SW Colorado 4-day trip in July

Patrolman
May 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
My dad and a buddy of his are planning a 4 day trip through SW Colorado. Will be in Lake City, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, Gunnison, and Montrose. They plan on doing Engineer, Black Bear, Imogene, and other passes. Planning to stop at the hot springs in Ouray and camp for most or all of the trip. Should be a good time. My dad said anyone is invited. Do all or some of the trip.

Chris
May 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I can't plan that far ahead right now but do plan on hitting that area. I hope it's the end of July because I've been turned back by snow on those trails around July 4th. I tend to lean towards mid August to avoid the snow.

Patrolman
May 9th, 2009, 09:21 PM
They are shooting for July 4th. He is aware of the snow problems at those times. We have run into that same problem before. It is a very limited time frame that those passes are open. Good news is that the SW water shelters are at about 70% of normal snowpack for this time of year. Might melt early down there.

To anyone who hasn't done these trails, the scenery is AWESOME. Crystal clear lakes, everything is so green. The wheeling isn't difficult. Basically any stock 4x4 with low range can. Only problem is LWB vehicles on Black Bear.

RockyMtnHigh
May 10th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I know you said you were shooting for the 4th, but just in case you go later the 15-18th the FJ Summit is going on and it will be crowded, just a heads up.

4Runninfun
May 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM
i'd love to be able to go but the likely hood is pretty slim.

itsjustdan23
May 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Im workin! Sounds like a S*it ton of fun though.

Patrolman
May 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
They will have firm dates soon as his buddy lives out of state and has to get his plane ticket.

Funrover
May 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Sounds fun... but I don't think it will happen.

Roostercruiser
May 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM
im out for anything far this year. this was my last day off till april of next year.

billsbar
May 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
we ( me in the Sami and 5 Jeeps) will be back down there the last week of July staying at the KOA in Ouray.

Gecko Cycles
May 11th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I'll see as time gets closer for yours and Bills run.

bskey
May 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Will you be running anywhere near the dunes? That may be a good time to try to get my 4Runner out....