PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CROSS!!

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Okay so I have been bitten and want to run this trail again! I am thinking a Tuesday in August. This way the snow is gone and the trail won't be packed.... Saturdays on HC basically is a parking lot at French Creek. Just curious who is in. I plan to camp at the bottom Monday night/Tues night. return Wed. Just curious on who would go.. thanks.

EDIT - So I have figured out the date July 28!!!

SCRubicon
May 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'd do it, just depends on cash flow :)

Brody
May 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I'd do it, just depends on cash flow :)

And work situation for both LaDawn and I....

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
SWEEEETT!!!!

scout man
May 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
And work situation for both LaDawn and I....

same here

4Runninfun
May 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
a TUESDAY you say? Heck yeah I'm in!

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 04:38 PM
a TUESDAY you say? Heck yeah I'm in!

Well I wanted to do it on a NON-Weekend so that we can actually wheel and enjoy the trip. I also know that this will be a LOOOOOOONG day on the trail and wanted time!

4Runninfun
May 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Oh i know and totally agree. Just so happens to work better for me being that mon and tues are my days off. I may head up early monday to do red cone.

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Oh i know and totally agree. Just so happens to work better for me being that mon and tues are my days off. I may head up early monday to do red cone.

Save a camping spot for the toaster! We will head up after work!

4Runninfun
May 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Where do you wanna camp? Dillon is a little ways away i was thinking of trying to find some place closer/ cheaper.

sthmstr
May 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I'd love to g but me thinks the Samurai would get eaten by rock monsters..... :-(

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'd love to g but me thinks the Samurai would get eaten by rock monsters..... :-(

There are a few of those on that trail.. but we try to squish them lol

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Where do you wanna camp? Dillon is a little ways away i was thinking of trying to find some place closer/ cheaper.

Right at the entrace there are actually a couple different campgrounds .. all within a mile on the same road. Dillion is a bit far I agree.

4Runninfun
May 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hey funrover ran it last time on 32's and he's a heck of a lot bigger than you are.

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hey funrover ran it last time on 32's and he's a heck of a lot bigger than you are.

2" lift... 32" tires (almost haha) No lockers.. made it.. had a blast..praised the spotters..LOL

sthmstr
May 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
2" lift... 32" tires (almost haha) No lockers.. made it.. had a blast..praised the spotters..LOL

Hmm...we'll see. I'm gonna be in Glenwood that week anyways so I may try to swing by. Really doubt I can make it in the Samurai but maybe ride shotgun in my buddy's XJ.

Haku
May 14th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hmm...we'll see. I'm gonna be in Glenwood that week anyways so I may try to swing by. Really doubt I can make it in the Samurai but maybe ride shotgun in my buddy's XJ.

I think you'd be surprised what the Samurai would make it up. Not sure what you have as far as a lift or tires, but I know KB (gecko) made it up that with 31" tires and maybe 4 inches of lift. He does have a rear locker, and as I recall had to go the easier way once or twice, but made it pretty far. I've seen Samurai's make it up stuff that big tube buggies had a challenge getting up. With a basic spring over conversion and a welded/spooled rear and some 31's you'd do just fine.

I can't even imagine what I'll be up to by the time August comes around, so I'll have to let ya'll know then. I'd certainly be willing to try earlier in the summer though.

JH

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
See original for date...

4Runner3Wheeler
May 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I may be up for this depending on the date. I've been wanting to check out Holy Cross anyway. There are plenty of great camping and fishing spots in that area. I'd be happy to get after it, but Tuesday may be tough...

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
It is on the Calander!

Gecko Cycles
May 15th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I'd love to g but me thinks the Samurai would get eaten by rock monsters..... :-(I made it up with about a 2" lift SPUA 31" and rear lockright and 5.14 t-case. I had to winch up French creek after an hour of trying and rock stacking. Andy and Jonah made it up unasisted on 33's.

Camp at the bottom of the trail head. Lots of spots and fishing.
I'm a maybe for that date depending on work but can usually take off but times are HARD!

4wdhunter
May 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'd definitely like to make this if I haven't already run it by August. A Fri. or Mon. would work better for me but might be able to make a Tues. work.

Roostercruiser
May 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM
have fun ill be in KS

4Runninfun
May 30th, 2009, 01:37 AM
We ran Holy Cross yesterday.

Answer to your question: Hard enough that you probably aren't going to get to the top.

The creek crossing is very difficult- dug out, most of the rocks are undercut to the point where we had to winch my rig on 35's (locked f/r) and another rig on 37's (locked f/r).

If you're splitting hairs- the creek itself is not bad at all, it's the 10 feet just after. Rest of the trail was great, roots were no problem at all.

The only rig we saw get across the creek without assistance was on 42's.

It's more difficult than last year, for sure.

FRANKZ

...no fookin' way can it be done (on 33's open/open) without stacking a butt-load of rocks.It's really chewed up now and the big boulder doesn't help matters at all.

I came accross an HC review thread on CO4x4. And with the interweb being what it is opinions vary, but the quote there by FRANKZ i would trust. With this info if you are planning on going please consider that this is going to be a very difficult trail.

Brody I hope you can go i forsee needing someone to make it over to act as an anchor/winch point for others. (like me) :thunb:

Dan
May 30th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I'll keep my eye on this one!! I don't know about the work scenario. This year, if I have work, I work like crazy but when I don't have work...well, then I have to check the bank account.

Holy Cross and Red Cone are both too close for me to miss

Gecko Cycles
May 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Waiting!

4x4jsimps
May 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM
im going to try to go just have to see about the work schedule

sthmstr
June 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM
Waiting!

Lol. No prob for me on the date and gives me a little more time for preperations. I don't have a winch yet and I'm still runnin stock tcase with 235/75/15's. I will for sure drive the Samurai up to Glennwood, but I think for saftey's sake I'm gonna roll in the XJ. I've been without my Sammy since January and I kinda don't wanna risk breaking it again........Yet. :-)

Brody
June 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Anyone want to expand on this a little? The run is posted as a one day run. Seems like an really long and hard trail, not even mentioning the drive to and from, to do in a single day....It would make for about a 16 hour day round trip and that isn't taking in any possible breakage...

Gecko Cycles
June 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Lol. No prob for me on the date and gives me a little more time for preperations. I don't have a winch yet and I'm still runnin stock tcase with 235/75/15's. I will for sure drive the Samurai up to Glennwood, but I think for saftey's sake I'm gonna roll in the XJ. I've been without my Sammy since January and I kinda don't wanna risk breaking it again........Yet. :-)
I would say the stock t-case will be an issue on your clutch so I would leave it at the camp site or trail head or where ever. I thought you had some gears and locker. You may be able to make it with some help but it would be hard on the Sammy for sure.

I think this is way too long of a day to do without camping there at least one night. I wish we camped 2 nights personally. Wheeling all day and then the drive back the same day was a bit much for my early to bed A$$. We had no break downs either and there was only 3 of us.

Funrover
July 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Looks like I am out for this run. Reality got in the way.. but I am going to try to do it later this season

WINKY
July 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM
you can always go to moab with me...

4Runner3Wheeler
July 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
CampHale may be a good option. There is plenty of camping and the area is very near other trails in the area.

Right at the entrace there are actually a couple different campgrounds .. all within a mile on the same road. Dillion is a bit far I agree.

4Runner3Wheeler
July 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
OOPs! The Toyota Jamboree is the last weekend in July. My wife and I are definitely hitting the jamboree. I'm out for Holy Cross this time. I believe Scotty (Addicted) and Danny (4RnrFreak) are attending. Nay? Others?

Warning: Exclusive to Toyotas (not in the FR4X4 Spirit)
http://www.yotatech.com/f15/co4rj-colorado-4runner-jamboree-2009-a-164914/

Aaron, if you want to schedule another run for HC in the early fall, I may be in. I have every other Friday off if you'd want to camp on a Thur and run the following Fri.

Funrover
July 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
OOPs! The Toyota Jamboree is the last weekend in July. My wife and I are definitely hitting the jamboree. I'm out for Holy Cross this time. I believe Scotty (Addicted) and Danny (4RnrFreak) are attending. Nay? Others?

Aaron, if you want to schedule another run for HC in the early fall, I may be in. I have every other Friday off if you'd want to camp on a Thur and run the following Fri.

I had to cancel already.. look up a couple post LOL :lol:

Chris
July 14th, 2009, 01:58 PM

23 trucks? Have fun, it'll be a long day :lol:

BTW, I like the look of that site, maybe I can add a bunch of ads here. ;)

WINKY
July 14th, 2009, 02:09 PM

ill go there just to piss em off..HAHAHAHAHA

WINKY
July 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
suckage man:(

4Runner3Wheeler
July 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Just cause the organizer cancels doesn't mean the run's canceled...does it? :erm:

I did see your post. I would like to run HC in early fall with you and others that can't make the upcoming Tuesday HC run. :thunb: FYI- I'd be better suited to camp on a Thur and run on a Fri. I agree the weekend is a no go.

I had to cancel already.. look up a couple post LOL :lol:

Chris
July 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Just cause the organizer cancels doesn't mean the run's canceled...does it? :erm:

No, it's still on Funrover or not. ;)

Right now there are 3 going and 13 'maybe' :thunb:

Haku
July 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
No, it's still on Funrover or not. ;)

Right now there are 3 going and 13 'maybe' :thunb:

Its down to two now, and I may have to cancel depending on how my schedule looks. Starting a new job soon, and I may be working that day, but I'm not totally sure. What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

JH