PDA

View Full Version : Trail Run Suggestions

Brody
May 18th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Just a couple of suggestions for future runs here. When LaDawn and I got involved with Front Range, we were having trouble finding a group of folks to go wheeling with. As Front Range has grown, so have our trail runs. What used to be a group of 4-5 on a run has grown to groups of over 10 rigs. This is great, but...

When we have a large group doing a run like China Wall, Metberry Gulch, or Missouri Gulch...something easy where the obstacles are easily surmounted by everyone...a large group works well and the run progresses smoothly. If the same large group attempts something like Eagle Rock, Wheeler, Old Chinamans, etc, where there are many obstacles and other groups on the trail, and a lot of time is spent getting everyone over the obstacles, it doesn't work very well.

Here are a couple of suggestions, most based on talking to pretty much everyone on yesterday's run on Eagle Rock.

If it is a harder, technical trail, especially one with many obstacles, it would be beneficial to split the rigs into groups of 4 or 5 rigs, with one 'anchor' rig per group. The 'anchor' rig would be a set up rig with a winch (ideally) that has either run the trail before and knows that they can do the obstacle, and, again ideally, have a winch, straps, etc, to help other rigs through it.

Stagger the groups about 20 minutes apart or so, and set up a meet place for lunch or a break. This gives a welcome amount of spacing between groups and will help with the bunching up and traffic jam effect you get with a long line of rigs. When the meet time and place is established, get together with PMs and have the first group meet a little earlier, ready to leave the lot as soon as more people show up. When the next group of 5 or so gets there at the 'real' meeting time, this groups gets going.

It would also be better if there are good spotters spread out amongst the groups as yesterday our best spotters tended to be at the front of the pack, leading to more time spent waiting for them to get back to their rigs so that the whole posse could get moving again.

This is even more important where there aren't many places to pull over to let another group by that is moving faster...like Eagle Rock.

This is something that everyone needs to think about and suggestions are more than welcome. These are just mine...

4Runninfun
May 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
very well put Brody i couldn't agree more.

Funrover
May 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I completely agree, yesterday was a LOOOOOOOONG day. Typically on the harder runs there are a few that are locked/winch so this should work out fine.

1freaky1
May 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Pete that is a really good point and I would add to it by having (when possible)vehicles with winches at the front and rear of each group, this way the front can turn around when possible and the rear one won't have to try to make it to the front to help someone and vice a versa.

seangillis11b
May 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM
and i for one am going to start bringing something to eat. i was sooo hungry by the time we left.:help:

WINKY
May 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM
your just now figuring this out..? i always bring food and drink incase of breakdown... :p

Pathrat
May 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I agree that splitting a too large group on harder runs is a good idea, that each group should have a well-equipped rig and a good spotter. I would hope that people can do this splitting on their own, and also, I don't want to force the responsibility on anyone who doesn't want it.
IMO, if someone is skilled and set up but doesn't want to be the 'leader' they don't have to, but I DO want someone able and willing in my little grouping.

Whitey Jr
May 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM
i agree completly brody its always great to so a lot of rigs and meet new people but once it gets to the tricky trails it gets a little frustrating

Funrover
May 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I agree that splitting a too large group on harder runs is a good idea, that each group should have a well-equipped rig and a good spotter. I would hope that people can do this splitting on their own, and also, I don't want to force the responsibility on anyone who doesn't want it.
IMO, if someone is skilled and set up but doesn't want to be the 'leader' they don't have to, but I DO want someone able and willing in my little grouping.

I'll roll with you Path :thunb:

Chris
May 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I agree that splitting a too large group on harder runs is a good idea, that each group should have a well-equipped rig and a good spotter.

Of course! :thunb:

Pathrat
May 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'll roll with you Path :thunb:

Cool! I get to have :furover:

:D

Thanks Funrover!

JeepersCreepers
May 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I dig the splitting up when there's a larger group. As Funrover said. It was a looooooong day yesterday. FUN, but long. Still any looooong day in the mtns is better than any fast day at work, and I'm sure most everybody here would agree to that. :D.

Pathrat
May 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I dig the splitting up when there's a larger group. As Funrover said. It was a looooooong day yesterday. FUN, but long. Still any looooong day in the mtns is better than any fast day at work, and I'm sure most everybody here would agree to that. :D.

No, I think I really prefer getting my butt run into the ground as the parts fly while I pretend I am Ginsu the Pathologist because the long day is too short.

:D

Ok, I will agree with you. Heartily. Oh, and I think Minimoose the Dog likes you.

Roostercruiser
May 19th, 2009, 12:34 PM
your just now figuring this out..? i always bring food and drink incase of breakdown... :p

you are the lardcake king:D

WINKY
May 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM
only on trails now not at home...LOL trying to slim down a bit