PDA

View Full Version : Another Vibe Question

Screweder
May 19th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Ok, so I started noticing a mild vibration at 65mph+. This isn't constant though. Its only when I have the gas pressed in about 1/4 of the way, or have the clutch depressed fully. Full throttle or no gas at all... No vibration. I'm thinking I may have somehow screwed up my U-joints, but would hate to replace a trivial part if its not the solution. I just thought I'd finally break down and admit theres a problem, then ask you guys what you thought.

It does feel like it is coming from the rear, due to noise and vibration. I could be mistaken, but I'm 90% sure. It hasn't progressively gotten worse or anything. I don't know if this matters, but I just passed my emissions test today, and the guys there didn't say a damn thing about a vibration or recognize anything as wrong.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Brody
May 20th, 2009, 05:48 AM
We can take a look when you come over today. Probably not a big deal...

You guys with your nice rigs....

Screweder
May 23rd, 2009, 01:30 AM
So I replaced my rear drive shaft's U-joints today, thanks to Brody's over the phone technical support. The vibration noise definately got a little quieter, but is still there. Its still the same situation as above.

So my question now is what do I look for next? Driveshave is still in good condition, so I'm lost as what to do.

Brody
May 23rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
So I replaced my rear drive shaft's U-joints today, thanks to Brody's over the phone technical support. The vibration noise definately got a little quieter, but is still there. Its still the same situation as above.

So my question now is what do I look for next? Driveshaft is still in good condition, so I'm lost as what to do.

First of all, tighten everything that you can get your hands on. Pay a little special attention to the transfer case tranny and engine mounting plates. One of the things that does happen to Yotas when they get a lot of mileage on them is that the rubber bushings on these start to crap out. The T case mounts are the usual culprits, then look for a cracked engine mount.

Might as well check the T case and tranny fluid, too. If you are low on fluid, the vibration is maybe a warning of bad things to come..

While you are under the rig, look to see if you are missing any wheel weights that the tire place may have put on the inside of your wheels.

Get your front tires in the air, grab them at 6 and 12 o'clock and see if you get any movement out of them. This will let you know if you have something going on with your A arms, joints or CVs.

If you don't find anything wrong here and still have a vibration, my guess is that you managed to lose a weight off your drive shaft or bent it just a little.