PDA

View Full Version : Alice and Yankee Hill

vader33
May 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
The wife and I went up to Alice to check out the remnants of the old mining camp that used to be up there. Didn't get a lot of pictures, mainly because there's not much left up there. I think maybe once it dries out up there I'll take a quad and go the rest of the way up Yankee Hill and get some more pictures. Anyway, enjoy.

Click Me (http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/album.php?albumid=170)

Pathrat
May 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Nice pictures :)

Funrover
May 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Nice pics!

CalvaryBill
May 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
If you're interested in old mining stuff up in that area, you should check out Ninety-Four. It is on the left turn dead-end as you start up toward Yankee Hill from St. Mary's. The trail goes through the old town and dead ends about a quarter mile out the other side so it's not worht much as a trail but the old town still has several building intact. The town itself is all private property so don't mess with anything

1freaky1
May 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Cool pics, I love to go exploring the old mines, its in my blood having a 1 blacksmith, 1 gold & silversmith and 3 miners in our family tree, gee no wonder I have an addiction to working with metal.

vader33
May 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
If you're interested in old mining stuff up in that area, you should check out Ninety-Four. It is on the left turn dead-end as you start up toward Yankee Hill from St. Mary's. The trail goes through the old town and dead ends about a quarter mile out the other side so it's not worht much as a trail but the old town still has several building intact. The town itself is all private property so don't mess with anything

That's where we were heading but I decided not to continue up bc i didn't want to run the risk of doing any serious damage to the truck. I'll be back up there though.

Screweder
May 25th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Cool pics, I love to go exploring the old mines, its in my blood having a 1 blacksmith, 1 gold & silversmith and 3 miners in our family tree, gee no wonder I have an addiction to working with metal.
Then whats my issue? My Grandpa worked on Televisions and did construction. My dad works on computers and used to do construction. I work security...:rolleyes:

Roostercruiser
May 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
thats my main goal with my burban is to make it an expition rig and visit alot of old ghost towns. i have many books on old towns through out Colorado that i want to visit. some have structures still

Chris
May 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Barb and I have done our fair share of that Roland. The big disappointment is finding the town and seeing there's nothing left. Guess that's a good reason to check the date of publication of any book, stuff changes!

vader33
May 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Barb and I have done our fair share of that Roland. The big disappointment is finding the town and seeing there's nothing left. Guess that's a good reason to check the date of publication of any book, stuff changes!

QFT.

The book I had was (c) 1998, and when we went to check out alice, all that was left was what I took pictures of.

cfr
June 2nd, 2009, 12:17 AM

One of my favorite books is Jeep Trails to Colorado Ghost Towns,

http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Trails-Colorado-Ghost-Towns/dp/0870040219

It's ancient (like from the 1950s or 1960s), but the old pics of Brown and his military jeep are great. I don't have it handy now, but there are updates in the last sentence or two for some of the towns. Almost all of the updates (most of which are from the 1980s) say there's nothing there any more or the town is now home to summer cabins.

Brody
June 2nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
Then whats my issue?

Gee, Chris...you sure you want to leave yourself wide open like that? It is all I can do to not start a LONG thread about what 'your issues' are....:lol::lol::lol:

Chris
June 2nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Gee, Chris...you sure you want to leave yourself wide open like that? It is all I can do to not start a LONG thread about what 'your issues' are....:lol::lol::lol:

I saw this and thought "what did I say now?"

Relieved to see it was young Chris. :lol: