PDA

View Full Version : Roo's Intro

Roo
May 24th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Hey guys! I just found out about this place from RockyMtnHigh! My FJ is pictured below. Moved to Colorado from Memphis, TN last September and absolutely love it. I went on my first Colorado wheelin' adventure today and think I might be in love! Don't worry Lisa it's not the same:Dhttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/mindovermatter311/RoosWRTruck.jpg

Pathrat
May 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hey, another blue FJC!

:welcome:

I think I see some red coils up front in your picture, mine are now that color. What have you done with your FJ?

irprnces
May 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM
AHHHH!!! The FJs are taking over!!! No only kidding... Welcome :) Wheelin' is one of those things that you can't really get your feelings out to someone about. They have to experience it for themselves. And it's awesome! LOL

Roo
May 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks! Well first of all that date is totally wrong in the pic. Do you mean mods? If so, I have a Toytec front coilovers and Toytec custom rear springs w/procomp 9000 shocks, All-Pro Rock Rails, that's pretty much it besides a CB and some petty interior mods like a couple of extra 12v plugs and the 2008 side visors. My next purchase will be some tires.

RockyMtnHigh
May 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hey, another blue FJC!

Yes, another blue one! You guys do know they make other colors! :lol: J/K!

Welcome aboard Resse!

Pathrat
May 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks! Well first of all that date is totally wrong in the pic. Do you mean mods? If so, I have a Toytec front coilovers and Toytec custom rear springs w/procomp 9000 shocks, All-Pro Rock Rails, that's pretty much it besides a CB and some petty interior mods like a couple of extra 12v plugs and the 2008 side visors. My next purchase will be some tires.

No, not your picture date. I had signed up for this run but mistakenly thought it was yesterday :rolleyes: so I was not there today. We have the same front and rear suspension modifications. You will like the new tires, when you get them. What kind are you thinking about?

Roo
May 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
AHHHH!!! The FJs are taking over!!! No only kidding... Welcome :) Wheelin' is one of those things that you can't really get your feelings out to someone about. They have to experience it for themselves. And it's awesome! LOL

The wheelin' here is a totally different situation than in Memphis, I came straight home parked in the garage without even thinking about a stop at the car wash:lol:. Memphis, TN =mud wheelin' which is fun for 10 min but not fun for the 2 days that mud seeps out of all the nooks. Plus here there is the fun part of actually driving up to great views and maybe finding that perfect campsite for the next camping trip! FANTASTIC!!!!:thunb: Truly God's Country.

Roo
May 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM
No, not your picture date. I had signed up for this run but mistakenly thought it was yesterday :rolleyes: so I was not there today. We have the same front and rear suspension modifications. You will like the new tires, when you get them. What kind are you thinking about?

I will probably go with either BF Goodrich AT KO's, Goodyear Dura Trac's, or maybe Firestone Destination MT's.....can't decide. I am accepting feedback. What are you running?

Pathrat
May 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I will probably go with either BF Goodrich AT KO's, Goodyear Dura Trac's, or maybe Firestone Destination MT's.....can't decide. I am accepting feedback. What are you running?

I am currently running Firestone Destination MT's in the summer, on OEM steel rims and I have the Destination AT's on the OEM alloys for the winter. MT's kind of suck on trails that are full of wet pea gravel, and on packed snow and ice. Just look at the pictures from the trail report on Eagle Rock...I am the FJC half off the trail while the guys are shoveling the snow away. I am happy with them in Moab and in mud. The first tire I switched to was the Yokohama Geolander MT...great tire on rock and slickrock, not so good for longevity.
I would think the BFG would be a good all-around, year-round tire. Some of the other guys on here are pretty content with Truxxus (sp wrong I think). I assume you will be going up a size?

irprnces
May 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM
The wheelin' here is a totally different situation than in Memphis, I came straight home parked in the garage without even thinking about a stop at the car wash:lol:. Memphis, TN =mud wheelin' which is fun for 10 min but not fun for the 2 days that mud seeps out of all the nooks. Plus here there is the fun part of actually driving up to great views and maybe finding that perfect campsite for the next camping trip! FANTASTIC!!!!:thunb: Truly God's Country.

HAHA yeah we can get you some mud up here too... it's gooey and sticky. The kind that sticks to the truck for days and the car wash owners look at you with smoke billowing out from their ears and eyes popping out of their head when you go to wash off... there are some posts on here by itsjustdan that give you an idea of the mud you can find...

Roo
May 24th, 2009, 11:32 PM
HAHA yeah we can get you some mud up here too... it's gooey and sticky. The kind that sticks to the truck for days and the car wash owners look at you with smoke billowing out from their ears and eyes popping out of their head when you go to wash off... there are some posts on here by itsjustdan that give you an idea of the mud you can find...

Oh I will be perfectly content if I don't find it! I am the poster child for IH8MUD even though I am not a member. If I ever make enough money to pay someone to clean it up for me then I would love mud.:lol:

itsjustdan23
May 24th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome!
And yes as she stated there is a few posts in here about mud from me. The carwash owner didnt like me after I went and washed off. He was out a couple days after I did and I over heard him cussin up storm. Work didnt like it either. My boss told me if I go muddin again that I need to park off the site and if I didnt he would write me up hahahaha. It was a total blast. Mud was drippin off my truck for DAYS!!

Whitey Jr
May 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM
welcome welcome and some more welcome. thanks for the pic and i believe i have seen your sign and fjc around town

Roo
May 24th, 2009, 11:45 PM
welcome welcome and some more welcome. thanks for the pic and i believe i have seen your sign and fjc around town

Thanks, I started to post a pic without the signs on but then I thought wait a second I never have them off so I might as well post this pic. Next time you see me give me a wave/honk!

1freaky1
May 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Welcome to one of the best groups of people around here!!!!

1freaky1
May 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Welcome!
And yes as she stated there is a few posts in here about mud from me. The carwash owner didnt like me after I went and washed off. He was out a couple days after I did and I over heard him cussin up storm. Work didnt like it either. My boss told me if I go muddin again that I need to park off the site and if I didnt he would write me up hahahaha. It was a total blast. Mud was drippin off my truck for DAYS!!

Dan how can your boss write you up for having a muddy rig in the parking lot? Doesnt seem legite!!!!

itsjustdan23
May 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I dont think it is myself. But I really had piles of mud in the lot, and customers would step in them. Some customes got mad and was cussin when they walked in. Some were cool with it and some were just mean for havin a lil mud on the bottom of the shoe. Boss didnt wanna make anyone mad so he told me to move it off the lot. I dunno. Its a kinda funny place to work. It all depends on the manager I guess.

4Runninfun
May 25th, 2009, 01:54 AM
welcome roo. I gotta admit i expected to find a subaru wheeler. You have a nice looking FJC. happy wheeling.

Screweder
May 25th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Welcome to FR4x4! Lots of good people on this site, so you'll love it here.

Brody
May 25th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Well...Welcome to the site! Great to do a run with you guys today and to meet everyone I hadn't met!

Glad you came over to the forum..there are a bunch of good folks here!

Hey...if that is your line of work right now..the window repair stuff...stick an add for your stuff and what you do under the vendors section. I think Chris has posted a seperate 'members' resources section,too.

Pathrat...wasn't the tires so much on the Eagle Rock run...Everyone was having issues with that particular section, no matter what tires they had on. If we hadn't built up the berm with rocks and dug some snow out on the uphill side, almost everyone would have gone off at the same spot...

Funrover
May 25th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Welcome to the site!

BFG AT's do great! I recomend them!

Pathrat...wasn't the tires so much on the Eagle Rock run...Everyone was having issues with that particular section, no matter what tires they had on. If we hadn't built up the berm with rocks and dug some snow out on the uphill side, almost everyone would have gone off at the same spot...

I was the last one to make it across before digging, that slope was pretty fun but I went higher up to keep my drivers side in the dirt!

WINKY
May 25th, 2009, 09:37 AM
sweet now we have 3-4 blue fj's!! Welcome!!!

Roo
May 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Well...Welcome to the site! Great to do a run with you guys today and to meet everyone I hadn't met!

Glad you came over to the forum..there are a bunch of good folks here!

Hey...if that is your line of work right now..the window repair stuff...stick an add for your stuff and what you do under the vendors section. I think Chris has posted a seperate 'members' resources section,too.

Thanks Brody, it was great to meet you too! I will check out the members resource area that's awesome!

Welcome to the site!

BFG AT's do great! I recomend them!

They seem to be a very poplular tire out here, how are they in the snow?

sweet now we have 3-4 blue fj's!! Welcome!!!

Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome!

Funrover
May 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Great. I have been running them now for about 5 years. I avg about 17 - 18,000 miles a year on my Rover. I drive the Mtns year round. Honestly I have been nothing but pleased. They grip extremely well off road and give excellent traction in snow. The only down side is really thick boggy mud.. they gum up a bit... That being said my wife loves mud and she still gets by just fine with them.

Chris
May 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM

:welcome: to Front Range 4x4 Roo!

As you've already seen there are a lot of good people here and a few FJ's as well. I'll put in another thumbs up for BFG A/T's and say I've had nothing but good luck with them. I plan to go to 35's some day but these things aren't wearing out so it may be a while.

The only time I wasn't happy with them was once in Moab on a muddy clay trail. They filled up and I couldn't move at all, my friend in a Jeep had fun with me as he drove back & forth taunting me. :lol:

Funrover
May 25th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Mud seems to be their downside!

WINKY
May 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM
superswampers :thunb:

ShutUpHippie
May 25th, 2009, 12:32 PM
welcome! sweet FJC, they seem to do well out there

JeepersCreepers
May 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Welcome! Nice rig ya got there. As for tires I'm runnin the BFGoodrich AT KO's, but from what I have heard from the other guys on here the Truxxus tires are the best year round tires to go with as Pathrat was sayin. Heard they are like glue on snow/ice and pretty killer on the trails. Plus good wear on the street. I'm thinking that is the way I'm going to go once my tires need replacing

Roo
May 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Are you guys talking about the TrXus M/T or STS A/T both made by Interco?

JeepersCreepers
May 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM
The one's i'm looking at are the M/T's. They come with a lot of siping so tracking will be superb

Roo
May 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
hmmm, I would love to ride in a rig that has these. My main concern is street manners. Although I love wheelin I have to be logical and realize spend more time on the streets and this is my dd. Too many choices.

WINKY
May 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
superswampers are very good in snow i have found this past season. They stop well and launch well. even with my 9000lb truck. i run the ssr's.

As long as you get RADIALS there will be less problems with road wander and noise, the ssr's are 8 ply sidewalls so they are tough. mine dont make that much noise surprisingly. i barely hear them over the engine. once i get my daily driver i will be replacing with bias ply ltb's. Those things are loud and evil! Ive run in sugar sand mud and such in florida with ltb's and never got stuck. (i knew my limitations though) and up here they have worked very well for the ssr's.

Pathrat
May 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM

True Brody, and I wasn't high enough on the trail like Funrover. I have noticed the lack of traction on the ice and packed snow both on and off the trail. Of course, my AT's slid a bit on China Wall but I was able to get going under my own power.

anyways Roo, welcome to the site and hope you find the tires that suit what you do. :)

WINKY
May 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
also if your truck sees allot of highway asphalt miles, you want to rotate through your spare about every 1500-2000 miles to get the most life out of them.

WINKY
May 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
True Brody, and I wasn't high enough on the trail like Funrover. I have noticed the lack of traction on the ice and packed snow both on and off the trail. Of course, my AT's slid a bit on China Wall but I was able to get going under my own power.

anyways Roo, welcome to the site and hope you find the tires that suit what you do. :)

i dont think there is a tire that gets any traction on ice...lol unless you have major studs on them... my truck hates ice...

Pathrat
May 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
i dont think there is a tire that gets any traction on ice...lol unless you have major studs on them... my truck hates ice...

Agreed, and some just suck more than others :D

DKDunn04
May 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I have the Truxs STS's on mine and I highly recommend them for a DD that sees a lot of road time. They are not the best in mud, and just ok on the rocks, but since I do so much highway driving I love them.

H3_Mafia
May 26th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Welcome to FR4x4 and look forward to wheeling with you sometime. Nice FJ also!

Funrover
May 26th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I have the Truxus on my Dodge, got them after they were worn down a bit, I was still impressed with their ability in snow. My Dodge is a 2WD pick up and it had grip. PM Jamie on this forum as he has run both on the same vehicle and could give you a good comparison