PDA

View Full Version : Cargo area storage

Funrover
May 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9034

Gets the thoughts flowin!

Chris
May 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I've built one and removed it though considering it again simply for a sleeping surface. My observation is 99% of the people building them get too carried away - KISS!

DETN8R
May 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM
In the small area I have in the back of the Jeep I think it would just look to tacky.

Pathrat
May 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM
The picture from the guy called The Roadie shows tall drawers with plastic bins enclosed within. I like this because of the versatility. You can get larger items in here, put rubbermaid containers in there to hold your camp dishes keeping them free of dust, put all your fluids in one and contain leaks should one blow, and your stuff won't rattle around. It seems to me you would have a larger variety of bin sizes and gear configurations with such a set up. Plus, you could also swap out winter gear for summer gear relatively easily, should you want to, without taking everything apart.

Funrover
May 27th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I think pretty seriously about it because it would make life easier at times!

1freaky1
May 28th, 2009, 01:23 AM
This is one of those things where you could let your creativitiness run the gamut. Lots of good general ideas floating out there. I know that w/ the truck I am very limited on storage space and always looking for ideas on this sole subject.

RockyMtnHigh
June 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Been meaning to post pictures of mine, just took them today. I took the rear seat out, but can have everything out and the rear seat installed in about 30 minutes, just my wife and I so it works out.

Wanted more storage in the cargo area as well as a place to sleep on camping trips, also needed a place for the fridge. There is a strap that holds the fridge in, I just threw it in there for the pics.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2145.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2144.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2146.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2147.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2148.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2149.jpg

WINKY
June 18th, 2009, 01:15 AM
i will be doing some similar stuff with lexan and get a nice topper as well.

Speedwagon
June 18th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Been meaning to post pictures of mine, just took them today. I took the rear seat out, but can have everything out and the rear seat installed in about 30 minutes, just my wife and I so it works out.

Wanted more storage in the cargo area as well as a place to sleep on camping trips, also needed a place for the fridge. There is a strap that holds the fridge in, I just threw it in there for the pics.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2148.jpg

What kind of carpet is that? And where'd you get it, about what's it run? Durability?

RockyMtnHigh
June 18th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Lowes is where I got the carpet, I think it's $3.80 a linear foot the roll is 12' wide that they cut it off from. I can't remember what it's called exactly, but I believe its a marine grade carpet, the backing is black.

It's held up really well, I stand on the back portion to get to the roof rack and I throw the normal groceries and such back there. The box in the cargo area has been back there for a year now and no problems.

RockyMtnHigh
June 18th, 2009, 01:56 AM
i will be doing some similar stuff with lexan and get a nice topper as well.

You need to chop that bed and frame and make the first full size diesel truggy here in Colorado.:thunb:

Speedwagon
June 18th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Lowes is where I got the carpet, I think it's $3.80 a linear foot the roll is 12' wide that they cut it off from. I can't remember what it's called exactly, but I believe its a marine grade carpet, the backing is black.

It's held up really well, I stand on the back portion to get to the roof rack and I throw the normal groceries and such back there. The box in the cargo area has been back there for a year now and no problems.

Sweet. I have me some new idears!

Funrover
June 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Nicely done!

4Runner3Wheeler
June 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I second that!!!! Let's get the grinders, torches, and saws rev'd up. :wrench:

RockyMtnHigh, that's is some quality looking work. What do the inner compartments look like?

You need to chop that bed and frame and make the first full size diesel truggy here in Colorado.:thunb:

4Runner3Wheeler
June 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I have some scrap wood to build a rear drawer system, not as a sleeping platform. I agree with you pathrat. I plan to build the dimensions in accordance with the size of Rubbermaid tubs for the very reasons you mention. You're so smart :)

The picture from the guy called The Roadie shows tall drawers with plastic bins enclosed within. I like this because of the versatility. You can get larger items in here, put rubbermaid containers in there to hold your camp dishes keeping them free of dust, put all your fluids in one and contain leaks should one blow, and your stuff won't rattle around. It seems to me you would have a larger variety of bin sizes and gear configurations with such a set up. Plus, you could also swap out winter gear for summer gear relatively easily, should you want to, without taking everything apart.

WINKY
June 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I second that!!!! Let's get the grinders, torches, and saws rev'd up. :wrench:

RockyMtnHigh, that's is some quality looking work. What do the inner compartments look like?

i would make a diesel truggy if i had a shortbed reg cab 2500 and $$$$$ and time to do it.

Pathrat
June 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
That is so very cool!!!! Nice job!

Pathrat
June 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have some scrap wood to build a rear drawer system, not as a sleeping platform. I agree with you pathrat. I plan to build the dimensions in accordance with the size of Rubbermaid tubs for the very reasons you mention. You're so smart :)

I hit the "thanks" button, but didn't think it was big enough and wanted to make sure you saw the thank you from me. Yes, I am compulsive.

It is the organizational nester in me, and the fact that I am the one in charge of the gear and making sure we have it on trips, that made me think of customizing in this way.

Funrover
June 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I hit the "thanks" button, but didn't think it was big enough and wanted to make sure you saw the thank you from me. Yes, I am compulsive.

It is the organizational nester in me, and the fact that I am the one in charge of the gear and making sure we have it on trips, that made me think of customizing in this way.

You OCD I neve would have imagined.. :rolleyes:

Pathrat
June 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
You OCD I neve would have imagined.. :rolleyes:

What gave it away; the way all my cupboards were labeled? The fact that I told you and Jess to take your shoes off and point the toes north?

Funrover
June 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM
What gave it away; the way all my cupboards were labeled? The fact that I told you and Jess to take your shoes off and point the toes north?

I didn't hear the North part... Guess I am going south anyway...might as well have the shoes ready.. BTW when you gonna build your cargo area?

Pathrat
June 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I didn't hear the North part... Guess I am going south anyway...might as well have the shoes ready.. BTW when you gonna build your cargo area?

I don't plan to, actually. I have my stuff in there just fine depending on what I am doing and having kids half the time on runs demands seats and flexibility.

You must atone for your lack of shoe pointing. Think of something.

Chris
June 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
:lol: Point north? Really funny!

hubbazoot
June 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I'm doing something very similar to theroadie's idea on that page you linked. Mine will have two drawers and also a space to carry my tool box (accident really, started off as just a store-all space) and a spot above the drawers to put my spare tire in and then I'll mount my high-lift to the outside of that. Still figuring the high-lift part of it out though.

Will post pics when I'm done, hopefully friday evening.

RockyMtnHigh
June 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Nicely done!

Thanks! I try and remember to get some pics up of the compartments, nothing to them though.