PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else in the market for tires this summer?

Roo
May 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I was thinking we could combine our purchases at one store for a better deal. What do you think?

A-TRAC
May 28th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I bought 16" wheels a few months ago and was all ready to get some 255/85-16 KM2s and found out that BFG stopped making KM2s in that size. And now, I don't have any cash.

Either way, long story short, if you can't find someone else to buy tires with you, find the tire you like online ( e.g. onlinetires.com ), take the print out to a Discount Tire store and they will match the price. The price match is before Taxes though, so what you would have paid in shipping, you will end up paying in Taxes.

The reason I recommend Discount Tire is because you can get their tire protection warranty and if you end up blowing a tire, they will replace it, no questions asked.

I'm talking from experience. I've had two tires replaced in under 20k miles already, so whenever I get my next set of tires, they are definitely going to be from Discount Tire.

Also, on my way to Albuquerque last year, I stopped by a Discount Tire in Pueblo because I was loosing air in a tire. They found out there was dirt in my bead and was leaking. They unmounted the tire, cleaned the tire/wheel, mounted and balanced with zero cost to me. So, the fact that they are a chain and you can find em in different cities doesn't hurt at all.

Oh, and the free balance/rotations don't hurt either.

Roo
May 29th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I bought 16" wheels a few months ago and was all ready to get some 255/85-16 KM2s and found out that BFG stopped making KM2s in that size. And now, I don't have any cash.

Either way, long story short, if you can't find someone else to buy tires with you, find the tire you like online ( e.g. onlinetires.com ), take the print out to a Discount Tire store and they will match the price. The price match is before Taxes though, so what you would have paid in shipping, you will end up paying in Taxes.

The reason I recommend Discount Tire is because you can get their tire protection warranty and if you end up blowing a tire, they will replace it, no questions asked.

I'm talking from experience. I've had two tires replaced in under 20k miles already, so whenever I get my next set of tires, they are definitely going to be from Discount Tire.

Also, on my way to Albuquerque last year, I stopped by a Discount Tire in Pueblo because I was loosing air in a tire. They found out there was dirt in my bead and was leaking. They unmounted the tire, cleaned the tire/wheel, mounted and balanced with zero cost to me. So, the fact that they are a chain and you can find em in different cities doesn't hurt at all.

Oh, and the free balance/rotations don't hurt either.

Good info, thanks for sharing. I was leaning towards the Dura Tracs but I don't think online tires stocks those. Might end up with the tried and true BFG AT KO's, I will analyze it to death before I decide:lol:

A-TRAC
May 29th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Good info, thanks for sharing. I was leaning towards the Dura Tracs but I don't think online tires stocks those. Might end up with the tried and true BFG AT KO's, I will analyze it to death before I decide:lol:

Doesn't matter which tire you like, just find the best price for it online and Discount Tire will match it. There are a bunch of website, onlinetires.com is only one.

Good luck. Hopefully I'll see you on the run this Sunday and will give you my .02 on tires for FJs. :)

Roo
May 29th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Doesn't matter which tire you like, just find the best price for it online and Discount Tire will match it. There are a bunch of website, onlinetires.com is only one.

Good luck. Hopefully I'll see you on the run this Sunday and will give you my .02 on tires for FJs. :)

Looking forward to it!

Roostercruiser
May 29th, 2009, 03:58 AM
my dad was a store manager for discount tire. im looking for 38/12.50/17's boggers and wheels. the 33's i have are way to small. it will be next year before i get them.

Brody
May 29th, 2009, 05:10 AM
my dad was a store manager for discount tire. im looking for 38/12.50/17's boggers and wheels. the 33's i have are way to small. it will be next year before i get them.

You will hate the Boggers...trust me. That is why you see so many sets of Boggers on craigslist with 90% tread for sale for cheap. And you will only get about 30k miles out of them to boot and that is if you are lucky. Not to mention the fact that you absolutely will not be able to hear yourself think.

Not an ideal tire for this state, anyway. The Boggers road manners suck and most people that run them trailer their rigs to the trail. If you are planning on driving to and from the trails, you really should consider something else.

Primarily designed as a mud tire, which they excell at, and do work OK in rocks, there are many other tires out there that will give you great traction, have agressive tread, have great off road performance and decent street performance for roughly the same or cheaper prices.

If you are bound and determined to get Boggers, keep watching craigslist and buy a set used for cheap and get some cheap wheels to match the tires.

Here is a great link for non sponsored tires reviews:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/mud.htm

Roostercruiser
May 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM
sorry for that brody i ment it as a figure of speech. i have the tires in mind on what i want .the first choice is Green Diamond Icelander M/T. they got great reviews and are on he cheaper side but not sure they make the size i need. the second choice are Federal Couragla M/T 'S. they average $160 a tire and also get great reviews and really good traction on all terrains.

gm4x4lover
May 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Let me know i can work deals for any of the members on fr4x4.

JeepersCreepers
May 29th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I want to replace my tires with something different right now, but I still have more than half my tread left. Check out tirerack.com. I know they have really good prices on their tires. There is another site that I'll need to ask my dad about that has tires for really great prices as well. Me personally I am considering the Truxxus M/T's or possibly the Mickey Tompson Baja MTZ's. But I still have at least another good year or 2 on the BFgoodrich AT KO's i'm running now.

Funrover
May 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Let me know i can work deals for any of the members on fr4x4.

Does this include passenger cars? I currently have 4 flats between 3 cars :mad:

gm4x4lover
May 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
yup:)

Funrover
May 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Cool!

itsjustdan23
May 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Im lookin at the Mesa A/P from Big O. They run about 112.00 a tire. They have a semi agressive tread and I dont plan on climbing mountains of goo or stacks of large rocks. I can probably get a better deal, seein how my best friend and my bro works for Big O. They have always taken care of me. Even without them workin there. Im in the market for tires as we speek.

Pathrat
May 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks GM4x4, good to know. My kid needs tires, all four :(

As far as pricing and matching if you don't go see one of our members, I got the best price for my tires on roadway.com, after doing my research on tirerack.

scoutfam
May 30th, 2009, 09:29 AM
gonna be time for a new set of 33x12.5s for me........ if you find a place that will give a deal for the combined purchase let me know and I might be in. I was gonna go with some retreads at tire king around $85 each but I would rather have new at $90-100

Patrolman
May 30th, 2009, 10:18 AM
You can also use Costco and Sams to compare prices to take to Discount. I did that before. I even had a coupon from Costco! And the Costco price included EVERYTHING but tax. Mounting, balancing, disposal, etc. No hidden fees. Discount matched all of that (reluctantly) and I got a good set of tires with a great warranty! Costco has changed their pricing a bit as they have disposal and mounting/balancing now I think. Call and ask. Also ask if there are any coupons or rebates going on.

Best thing is you don't have to be a member at Sams or Costco to get the same price at Discount! They don't ask to see your card!