PDA

View Full Version : Removing Chrome from plastic

Chris
May 30th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Pathrat's thread (http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5299) made me think of this again.

Most FJ60/62 owners paint the grill, etc black and ina discussion about the best way to do it a guy posted a pic of his. He had a shop that does chrome strip his grill. They charged him $3.00.

Anyone know anything about this?

DKDunn04
May 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Probably just an acid bath.

Brody
May 31st, 2009, 07:18 AM
You are right. I never knew this, so I did a Google of 'stripping chrome plating' and learned a bit.

A dilute solution of hydrochloric acid or muriatic acid will remove chrome finishes. Muriatic acid is available at Lowes or Home Depot for around $5-10 a gallon (it used to be way cheaper)and, I believe, is pre diluted to 20%. Hydrochloric acid may be a little harder to find, but it is commonly used in many of the heavy duty drain cleaners.

Read and observe the safety precautions please. I use muriatic acid a lot for concrete and masonry. It is a little forgiving, but still burns. Hydrochloric acid...well, think Phantom of the Opera and you will be on the right track...it is some extremely bad ass stuff and will screw you up in a heartbeat...

Chris
May 31st, 2009, 10:21 AM
What really astounded me was the price, the guy paid $3.00 which is a whole lot cheaper than buying anything. Probably a dip and rinse for some shop. I'm getting a new grill and headlight surround and figure I might as well do it right this time around.

Dan
May 31st, 2009, 01:18 PM
That's a no brainer... you can't even buy a hotdog for $3

Chris
May 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah, except the guy is in LA. I'll see if I can find such a place here.

InsanityIsBorn
May 31st, 2009, 03:58 PM
If you do, let us know, because I need to redo some of mine.

Dan
May 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
If you do, let us know, because I need to redo some of mine.

X2.

Making my rig a better wheeler is No. 1 on my list and making it look better is a little farther down, but someday I'll do the blackout thing.

Insanity, I noticed half doors on your signature line. Have any pics??

Brody
June 1st, 2009, 06:37 AM
Hey Dan

Check this out (it is also in the Make and Model Toyota link on the site)

Pirate 4x4s Ultimate Collection of 1/2 Doors:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753204

The other collection that was lost used to be a whole lot bigger. I actually had that one up on the site before the site crashed, but when I went to replace it, turned out Pirate had lost their original information, too.

Dan
June 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Wow, Your one link turned into lots more on the pirate 4x4 site. I'll have to check them all out later. I was just taking a quick break from paperwork to see some OCG pics..

Thanks for the info Pete!!

InsanityIsBorn
June 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah I am going to redo mine shortly and leave the top part of the frame on. then do a soft half door to add.