PDA

View Full Version : Triple Bypass August 1st-2nd, 2009

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
We would like to plan a fall run in the Aspen area for August 1st, 2009 to catch some early fall color and fresh air. This will be a two or three day trail run from Marble to Crested Butte to Aspen:

The trails would include:

Lead King Basin Loop (9+ miles)
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=43

Schofield Pass (4+ miles)
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=45

Pearl Pass (16+ miles)
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=119

Cement Creek Road to Reno Divide to Italian Creek Road (17+ miles)
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=117

Taylor Pass (8.5 miles)
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=118

Richmond Ridge (12 miles)
(Sorry, no link, but it’s easy/moderate following the ridge from Taylor Pass to the face of Aspen Mountain/Ajax)

We ran this last year and it was a 16+ hour day with 10 rigs stopping for lots of photo ops. It’s 50+ miles on trail, plus travel time to and from the trail heads from Carbondale, Crested Butte and Aspen. This year we would like to break up the trail time and camp one or two nights.

Vehicle qualifications:

A good stock rig can make it on all of these trails, but for the purposes of avoiding delays and minimizing potential damage, I recommend the following basics:

33” tires (something that can take abuse, the talus and shale is unforgiving of sidewalls)
Skid plates (factory will suffice)
Sliders
Front and rear tow points
Rear locker
Basic recovery gear suitable for your vehicle
All-weather clothing (literally, it can be 80+ degrees, then snowing in the same day!)

Because of the amount of time we will spend in the rigs with minimal down time, a CB will be essential if you want to keep up with what’s next, when we’re stopping, potty breaks, and details about the trail as we progress (e.g. watch out for the pumpkin buster there… this is Lizard Lake, it’s freakin’ beautiful!)

Trail runners to date:
FortressofTranquility(FJ)
stagecoachco (FJ)
Jacket (Taco)
RockyMtnHigh (FJ)
DrUnit (FJ)
A-TRAC +1 rig (FJx2)

Maybes:
Mythica (Taco)
fj4m&e (FJ)
Colorado125 (Taco)
FunRover (LR)
white_collar_redneck-dad (XJ)
Joe (FJ)

A-TRAC
June 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Eric - Khal here. I am in for this for sure. The sooner we lock down dates, the better though. I have a friend from SoCal that wants to come up for this.

Chris
June 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah, that sounds like fun so count me in too. ;)

white collar redneck dad
June 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
camping just north of Aspen would be great!!! There is a beautiful camping area that starts with a M---it has georgeous views of a big lake and 14ers reflecting in the lake--with aspens all around!! I cant think of the name -- its the most photo taken section of colorado..Marble??? Maple???

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Eric - Khal here. I am in for this for sure. The sooner we lock down dates, the better though. I have a friend from SoCal that wants to come up for this.

The dates are locked. We will probably start early Saturday morning, camp Saturday night, wheel Sunday morning and then head home. If enough folks want to, we might start the trip on Friday and camp two nights.

Yeah, that sounds like fun so count me in too. ;)

That's great!

camping just north of Aspen would be great!!! There is a beautiful camping area that starts with a M---it has georgeous views of a big lake and 14ers reflecting in the lake--with aspens all around!! I cant think of the name -- its the most photo taken section of colorado..Marble??? Maple???

Marble is east of Aspen. Perhaps Lizard Lake?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/marble%20may/marblemay72007011.jpg

Or Bear Lake just outside Marble:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/08-09-28%20triple/triple017.jpg

Or Meredith and Reudi Reservoir? All beautiful!

And, of course, Crystal Mill:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/08-09-28%20triple/triple040.jpg

Funrover
June 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
WOW!! That sounds like a great day!! I will see if I can do this one!

4Runner3Wheeler
June 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm thinking about running this with my Z71 Tahoe, practically stock. What is the hardest trail(s) of those listed?

WINKY
June 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
it looks like Schofield Pass will be too tight for my trucks wheelbase.. he is pretty wide. what do you all think?

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
WOW!! That sounds like a great day!! I will see if I can do this one!

This year we're shooting for a two-day run, so if you're up for an overnight, join us! Even if you can only do one day, we'll figure something out.

I'm thinking about running this with my Z71 Tahoe, practically stock. What is the hardest trail(s) of those listed?

The trails are rated (1-10) as follows on Traildamage:

Lead King Basin 2-3
Schofield Pass 4-6
Pearl Pass 4-5
Italian Creek 3-6
Taylor Pass 4-5
Richmond Ridge 2-3

I've listed the recommended vehicle requirements in the OP. There are only a few places where the trails are difficult, the majority being moderate. The most difficult sections are on:
Schofield Pass (no bypass)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/continental%20divide/continentaldivide106.jpg

Italian Creek (bypass on alternate route)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/fjtt%20gws/fjtt024.jpg

Taylor Pass (no bypass.)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/fjtt%20gws/fjtt051-1.jpg

Funrover
June 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I don't mind the 2 day venture aspect. I just don't know if I can yet.... I will keep checking as this gets closer!

RockyMtnHigh
June 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I am in too!

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
it looks like Schofield Pass will be too tight for my trucks wheelbase.. he is pretty wide. what do you all think?

I've never taken a full-sized truck up there, but have had several extended cab Tacos (05+). If you have all the other vehicle requirements covered, I think you could make it, but the trail marker does highly recommend a narrow short wheelbase. There are two places going up Schofield where you would have a hard time and both are in precarious locations. Bottom line, you know your truck best.

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I don't mind the 2 day venture aspect. I just don't know if I can yet.... I will keep checking as this gets closer!

We'll send optimistic thought to the :bow:

I am in too!

About time you ran a trail! :D

Funrover
June 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Cement/Italian/ Reno Divide looks pretty hairy... How is it in person? I bet that will get my blood flowing!

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Cement/Italian/ Reno Divide looks pretty hairy... How is it in person? I bet that will get my blood flowing!

Cement Creek and Reno Divide are basically dirt roads. Italian Creek has two routes, 1A being the hairy difficult section pictured above. I've never done the alternate route, but it's rated moderate and is a little longer than the 1A section. The best part is getting tipped toward the scree field below in that narrow section :D

RockyMtnHigh
June 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
About time you ran a trail! :D

Blah, blah, blah, blah! :lol:

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Blah, blah, blah, blah! :lol:

I should talk... in 2008 by this time of year I'd been on 17 trail runs. This year... 5...

Funrover
June 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Looking at the links the edges would scare the crap out of me. They look wide enough however. I really hope I can make this run! I am doing Holy Cross only a few days Prior... Schofield and Lead King are (and have been) on my MUST DO list.

RockyMtnHigh
June 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I should talk... in 2008 by this time of year I'd been on 17 trail runs. This year... 5...

Yeah, but you've been to Moab already and broke stuff, I am on 3 :(.

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Looking at the links the edges would scare the crap out of me. They look wide enough however. I really hope I can make this run! I am doing Holy Cross only a few days Prior... Schofield and Lead King are (and have been) on my MUST DO list.

Pucker factor is part of the fun! :D Holy Cross is still on MY must do list. I've managed to miss it the last 2 years with the FJ :mad:

Funrover
June 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Pucker factor is part of the fun! :D Holy Cross is still on MY must do list. I've managed to miss it the last 2 years with the FJ :mad:

Join us this year! :D It's a fun trail!

RockyMtnHigh
June 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Looking at the links the edges would scare the crap out of me.

You won't be the only one sweating that, I hate shelf roads, we went up Webster Pass late last year and I was doing fine until my wife freaked out (she was on the slope side), I didn't even realize how high we were at that point, I ended up backing down it which I think was worse then going forward, but yeah there were parts of my body that I didn't realize could sweat.

Funrover
June 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
but yeah there were parts of my body that I didn't realize could sweat.

LMAO!!! Now thats funny right there. :lol::lol:

Fortress of Tranquility
June 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Join us this year! :D It's a fun trail!

Wish I could, but I'm taking summer classes M-Th :(

Chris
June 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Schofield's not bad Randy, the sign at the beginning is an exageration probably posted after some people died when they went over the edge. The accident was human error in a big way. I don't mean to treat the deaths lightly but there's no room for carelessness.

I happen to love Cement Creek which is very easy 2WD easy but the views are great!

WINKY
June 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
yeah ill hold off on this one, no locker or rails :( yet.....lol

Funrover
June 4th, 2009, 08:41 PM
yeah ill hold off on this one, no locker or rails :( yet.....lol

Depending on if I can make it of course.. but I always I have room for a passenger! :thunb:

WINKY
June 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
we will see how my time off looks..

Funrover
June 4th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Sounds good!

WINKY
June 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM
you know i could meet and wait on the other side of schofield pass if possible, its only 4 mile trail...lol

Pathrat
June 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Looking at the links the edges would scare the crap out of me. .

Oh yeah, loves me some rocky shelf roads :rolleyes:
Looks pretty though, worth crawling at .5 mph over the ledges

Chris
June 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
you know i could meet and wait on the other side of schofield pass if possible, its only 4 mile trail...lol

Yep, we could meet at the Crystal Mill since there are paved roads coming the other way.

WINKY
June 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM
shoot i will be out of state this weekend.... seeing my brother off to hawaii. you all have fun!:oops:

A-TRAC
June 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Eric - The FJC from SoCal confirmed as well. So, it'll be me + 1 FJC.

Rob
June 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
We would like to plan a fall run in the Aspen area for August 1st, 2009 to catch some early fall color and fresh air. This will be a two or three day trail run from Marble to Crested Butte to Aspen:

I'm a tentative yes. Any limit on number of rigs?

Eric: Isn't Aug. 1 still summer, even in Aspen?

Fortress of Tranquility
July 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
So, I'll get back to planning this run now! FYI, I am meeting with a few folks this week who would like to do a day hike from Aspen to CB on Saturday and get a ride back over with us on Sunday. I want to make sure that's cool with everyone. I don't know how many folks will need seats at this point, but could be up to 9 or 10. Once I know where they need to hike from and to I'll know better when and where we need to be to coordinate. Regardless, it shouldn't have a great impact on our plans since most of the trails they are likely to hike end up near Gothic on the CB side of Schofield Pass.

I've been hemming and hawing about which route to take and here's what I suggest:

Friday night camp in the Aspen/Marble side (hikers/drivers, respectively)
Saturday run Lead King Basin and Schofield Pass
Saturday night pick up our hikers and camp in the CB side
Sunday run Cement Creek/Italian Creek/Taylor Pass with the hikers on board
Sunday night drive home, or camp on the Aspen side and drive home Monday

Pearl Pass is in the middle of this and it might be possible to add Pearl Pass (over and back to CB) to the Saturday run depending on how long Lead King and Schofield take. Alternatively, we could run Pearl Pass and Montezuma on Sunday instead of Cement/Italian/Taylor, which would be shorter. If I understand correctly, the bridge that is washed out is below the Montezuma/Pearl Pass split, so we might even be able to run up to Montezuma, time permitting, but I'm concerned about planning to make this part of the trail in case the bridge is out/under repair, etc. (BTW, I'll be checking on this this week...)

As far as camping goes, I'm open to suggestions. Katherine and I will likely camp with the hikers near Aspen since most of them are our friends. We'll get up early enough on Saturday for them to get on the trail and for us to get to Marble to meet up with the 4WD folks.

On the CB side there are lots of options near Gothic or up on Reno Divide, or wherever. Ajax on CoTTORA even mentioned a buddy in the condo business who might be able to hook us up if we want to be posh...

Fortress of Tranquility
July 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Eric - The FJC from SoCal confirmed as well. So, it'll be me + 1 FJC.

That'll work.

I'm a tentative yes. Any limit on number of rigs?

Eric: Isn't Aug. 1 still summer, even in Aspen?

I've done this run with 16 rigs and it was an extra long day, but not unreasonable. Last year we had 12. Since we're breaking it up over two days it will be even less of an issue.

And yes, Aug 1 is still summer up there! I might do this again during bona fide fall, but several folks can't do it then due to kiddies, school and what not, so I thought I'd accommodate them :)

Fortress of Tranquility
July 20th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Maroon Lake!

colomil
July 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I was just out by Marble earlier this month. I took my 97 3/4 ton suburban on the trail from Marble to Crystal and it was really muddy. The size of the truck made the switchbacks fun but with a rear locker at 33" tires It did fine. I don't think I would take an extended cab longbed truck though.

On a side note, this area has got to be the most beautiful place on earth. This is the reason I live in this state! If you have never seen this area, it is worth the drive.

Pathrat
July 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Pathrat is likely a no. We get back from California a day before this trip. Not enough time to prep. Maybe next trip.

Fortress of Tranquility
July 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Pathrat is likely a no. We get back from California a day before this trip. Not enough time to prep. Maybe next trip.

Wait! this run is in between Cali and Denver, just stop along the way :)

Pathrat
July 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Wait! this run is in between Cali and Denver, just stop along the way :)

I bet the pilot won't accommodate that request ;) Otherwise, great idea!

(Really, I swear, I do go wheeling)

Fortress of Tranquility
July 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I bet the pilot won't accommodate that request ;) Otherwise, great idea!

(Really, I swear, I do go wheeling)

Hmm, I'll have to problem-solve that one... the FJ won't fit in the check baggage??

Pathrat
July 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hmm, I'll have to problem-solve that one... the FJ won't fit in the check baggage??

My RC FJC will! :lol:

Haku
July 21st, 2009, 01:08 AM

Just prep it before you go. That way you get off the plane, get home, and drive to the trail. Easy as pie right?

As for me, I would love to come along, but have no idea what I'll be doing by that time. I know August will be pretty busy for me, so we'll see what happens by September. Definitely a great time of year to get outside. That high up there might be trees starting to change and such.

JH

Fortress of Tranquility
July 26th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I need to get a final head count so I know how much space we need for camping on Friday and Saturday night. I also need to know when/where people expect to arrive if we want to coordinate camping on Friday night.

As far as Saturday night goes, we also need to decide how far we want to run on Saturday. Options for camping start immediately on the CB side of Schofield Pass and then continue to the Reno Divide area and Italian Creek/Taylor River Road area. I have not camped along any of these trails, so if anyone has suggestions, fire away! IIRC there is a large hunters camp near the end of Italian Creek Road that accommodates large camper trailers and there's lots of primitive stuff along the way.

Lead King Basin and Schofield Pass will take 4-5 hours from Marble to Crested Butte.

Crested Butte up Cement Creek, over Reno Divide and down Italian Creek to Taylor River Road will take 5-7 hours.

Taylor Pass is another 3-4 hours coming out on Express Creek (into Ashcroft) or 5-6 hours on Richmond Ridge (into Aspen.)

As of yesterday, the bridge to Pearl Pass is passable, but the pass still has snow on the top, so I'm not planning on going there.

I'm happy to designate the camp site, play it by ear, or whatever, so feedback :)

Chris
July 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Have fun, wish I was going but will be in Utah. Still hope to do it this year some time!

Fortress of Tranquility
July 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Camping on Friday night is going to be tricky. Some folks will be arriving during the day, others not until after 8/9pm. For USFS sites I recommend either Avalanche or Bogan flats. Both are in the Crystal River valley, Bogan Flats being on the way to Marble off 133, Avalanche being between Carbondale and Redstone on the east side of the river. Both have fees and you might want to reserve a site. I'm not certain when/where I'll be arriving, but I'll post up when I do.

On Saturday we will be leaving from the the trail head for Lead King/Schofield Pass around 9am.

Camping on Saturday night will likely occur at the Dorchester Campground below Taylor Pass (east side). According to the USFS there are no camping fees here. If we find something else along the way or don't get that far, that's okay too. Dorchester puts us at the base of Taylor Pass so the drive out on Sunday will be shorter.

Fortress of Tranquility
July 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM
This run is a dud and canceled. I might be up there solo, but not on any schedule/route.

Chris
July 31st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear that Eric. I'm looking forward to doing it some time this year still. Unfortunately the timing didn't work for me. Maybe with a bit more lead time it could work.

Fortress of Tranquility
July 31st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Sorry to hear that Eric. I'm looking forward to doing it some time this year still. Unfortunately the timing didn't work for me. Maybe with a bit more lead time it could work.

LOL, I'm all for planning ahead, but I thought 2 months was pretty good! Did you see the September post? Now that's short notice!:lol:

Chris
July 31st, 2009, 01:41 PM
It seemed to have gotten sidetracked the the WFTW which is understandable and never made it to the calendar.

Fortress of Tranquility
July 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM
It seemed to have gotten sidetracked the the WFTW which is understandable and never made it to the calendar.

Yeah, I was a wee bit distracted by that :rolleyes:

Roo
July 31st, 2009, 07:05 PM
? Sorry to hear that Eric. I talked to Jock on Tues and I thought everything was a go?

Funrover
July 31st, 2009, 07:07 PM
This run is a dud and canceled. I might be up there solo, but not on any schedule/route.

I know the feeling man

Fortress of Tranquility
August 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM
? Sorry to hear that Eric. I talked to Jock on Tues and I thought everything was a go?

Yeah, it was all good right up to when it wasn't :lol:

I know the feeling man

But who wouldn't rather be painting their bathroom instead? Luckily, geologic time moves pretty slow, so it'll still be there :)

Smash
March 1st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Wow, looking at trail damage and stuff this looks like an incredible trip, something I'd really be interested in if my 'burb can do it.

Any chance there could be an attempt this year to do this? I am not at all familiar with the area or trails, or I would lead.

Fordguy77
March 2nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Wow, looking at trail damage and stuff this looks like an incredible trip, something I'd really be interested in if my 'burb can do it.

Any chance there could be an attempt this year to do this? I am not at all familiar with the area or trails, or I would lead.

I wouldnt mind giving it a try with ya after i get the BII broke in.

RockyMtnHigh
March 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
I will shoot the originator of this thread an email and have him post up if there are any plans to organize another run. He's done it every year so I don't see why not.

Smash
March 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hey thanks! If the 'burb can do it and I don't have a bike trip planned, I should have no trouble scheduling this. I'd love to say I'd have a winch come late summer/fall, but I am not sure the budget will allow that. :(

Rob
March 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Eric also can tell you whether a Burb can do those trails. Length might be an issue in spots.

Fortress of Tranquility
March 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'll be trying to organize this trip again this year, but a 2 week trip to Europe in September might impede :) A Suburban would be entertaining, but perhaps inadvisable. The only real area of concern I think would be Schofield Pass and the 1A Difficult route of Italian Creek Rd (which can be bypassed.) Both are tight and only recommended for narrow and short wheelbase.

Chris
March 3rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Both are tight and only recommended for narrow and short wheelbase.

I always see that warning at Scholfield Eric and can't say I agree with it, my FJ62 isn't narrow nor does it have a short wheelbase and does just fine as do FJC's. Not saying either are close to a Suburban in size, just that the sign exaggerates the difficulty. The story as I'm sure you know is below.

"The accident that's become legend happened in July of 1970. Driven by an inexperienced driver, a five passenger GMC Jimmy went off the Punchbowl Cut, plunged 300 feet, and sunk in 20 feet of water. The vehicle was packed with twelve people -- only three survived (they were either ejected or had left the vehicle before it went over the edge). One of the victims, an eleven year old boy, was taken by the river and never found."

I agree 100% that experience is needed on this but it appears the reputation is based on this unfortunate driver who had no business even thinking about doing it. Last summer I saw a couple Hummers do it.

Fortress of Tranquility
March 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
I always see that warning at Scholfield Eric and can't say I agree with it, my FJ62 isn't narrow nor does it have a short wheelbase and does just fine as do FJC's. Not saying either are close to a Suburban in size, just that the sign exaggerates the difficulty. The story as I'm sure you know is below.

"The accident that's become legend happened in July of 1970. Driven by an inexperienced driver, a five passenger GMC Jimmy went off the Punchbowl Cut, plunged 300 feet, and sunk in 20 feet of water. The vehicle was packed with twelve people -- only three survived (they were either ejected or had left the vehicle before it went over the edge). One of the victims, an eleven year old boy, was taken by the river and never found."

I agree 100% that experience is needed on this but it appears the reputation is based on this unfortunate driver who had no business even thinking about doing it. Last summer I saw a couple Hummers do it.

Chris, I was simply offering fair warning. It's not as narrow as it looks, but it can also be more challenging than it looks! It is also my understanding that the above-referenced tragedy was a result of dousing the brakes in the deep water crossing above the punch bowl and failing to dry them properly before making the steep descent. Given skill and the proper trail gear, the trail rating is relative.

Chris
March 3rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Agreed. I understand your comment was referencing Smash's Suburban and I think he'd take one look and say "No Way!"

Smash
March 3rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Well, I'm not a bad driving and learning fast. With some spotters and such, and as long as those going along are ok with it, I'd like to come. That is, if it gets organized. I would help organize, but I would be no help at all!!!

Thanks for the honesty I guys.

Chris
March 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm just judging from some reluctance I've picked up on Ash. It's good to be cautious and better to avoid something that makes you uncomfortable. I'll see if I can dig up some pics, this is all a quick look could find.

Smash
March 3rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm definitely not at all afraid to give it a shot, especially with a good group of folks. What I'm afraid of is holding people up or getting major stuck or in general just delaying the trip. I hate to be a nuisance.

AccordRanger
March 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
I would love to go, but it all depends on if i can get enough mods done by then.