PDA

View Full Version : Craptacular

Aaron
June 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
So, I go out today to lunch with my bride who is downtown. I decide that on the way back, I'm going to get an Antenna for my CB at a CB store I've seen on the way before. On the way back I stop at the store to see that it is Out Of Business. Great.

Well, I decide I'll look for a crappy Radioshack to find one. I go to Brighton RS and I see on the back wall a sizable sign that says CB Antennas and Accessories. I think I am in luck. Nope. I get back there to find that they have wire, but NO antennas. Not even an empty hook for an antenna.

Defeated, I go to Walmart (always a last resort). They have what they call a CB antenna but it can't be more than 2 feet tall and has a radio type wire antenna at the top.

http://images.craigslist.org/3ke3m13p7ZZZZZZZZZ964a5ada5defbe81c2d.jpg

I doubt this craptacular thing will work tomorrow but we'll give it a shot... I figure it is temporary until I order one online I suppose.

Chris
June 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
That will work fine, it looks like the one I just gave karolinakid88 and when we hooked it all up it worked just fine. We'll give it a test tomorrow but you have reason to be optimistic!

Patrolman
June 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Same one that I bought as a backup. I think I got it for $7 so I threw it on the shelf in the garage. Should work for most trail rides.

Brody
June 6th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Aaron-you should be fine with that. It looks like the one that I got from Tye and ran for awhile. You are probably like me and need it only for caravaning and on the trail. Otherwise the thing is off and I am listening to music...

Jimmy
June 7th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Next time, hit up a truck stop if you want to buy local.

JeepersCreepers
June 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Or a sunshine audio if you have one up there in denver area. That's where I got my firestik and it works great. I would prefer to have the antenna that SCRubicon is running. I just don't have the time to make it up to Denver. I think he got it from Radio Service Center.

karolinakid88
June 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM
The one i got from chris works great you just may need to get some chokes that arn't no more than $3.50. Im just trying to figure out how to get it to stop picking up the signal from my alternator. Otherwise it works great

Brody
June 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
The one i got from chris works great you just may need to get some chokes that arn't no more than $3.50. Im just trying to figure out how to get it to stop picking up the signal from my alternator. Otherwise it works great

Ground it again, but this time run the ground to both the body and the frame.

Chris
June 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Ground it again, but this time run the ground to both the body and the frame.

That's probably it, I took a shortcut that may not be providing a good enough ground.

WINKY
June 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
chris yours sounded fine yesterday, just need to speak up a bit... :p

Chris
June 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Barb's our communication person, she has no volume issues. ;)

WINKY
June 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
what? type a little louder please.....:doh:

JeepersCreepers
June 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hey Aaron did you get your cb set up for the run today? If you did how did that antenna work out for ya? I'm curious to know for a buddy of mine

Aaron
June 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM
It actually worked great. I think the range was a bit limited when we got separated a bit. I bought a new antenna at a gas station meeting place while we were out and installed it yesterday. I think it will be better. I'll use the craptacular one on my truck (as soon as I get a CB for that).