PDA

View Full Version : Metberry Gulch 6/7

Brody
June 6th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Since this run was on the calendar, but not listed here, I thought that I would post directions since the folks going on the run didn't know how to get there.

First of all, DO NOT follow traildamage.com's directions which take you through Sedalia unless you want to do a VERY BORING and VERY LONG drive on dusty dirt roads with the only view being the trees on either side of the road.

Get on Hwy 285 heading towards Bailey. You will go through Aspen Park, then Conifer. When you get to the light at Pine Junction, turn left towards Deckers. I believe that this is CO 126. Go through Deckers where this changes to CO 67 (this is where you eventually wind up following traildamage.com's directions). Contiue on CO 67 until you get to Westcreek, which will be on the right side of the road. Take a right turn here, thenturn west on County Road 68 (Stump Road) just west of Pine Lake. Follow the first half of Cedar Mountain Road to the trailhead for Metberry Gulch on the right after you turn south.

Once you get onto the Cedar Mountain Road, the trailhead for Metberry is easy to both find and to stay on as everything else is pretty much closed off.

sirius815
June 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Since this run was on the calendar, but not listed here, I thought that I would post directions since the folks going on the run didn't know how to get there.

First of all, DO NOT follow traildamage.com's directions which take you through Sedalia unless you want to do a VERY BORING and VERY LONG drive on dusty dirt roads with the only view being the trees on either side of the road.

Get on Hwy 285 heading towards Bailey. You will go through Aspen Park, then Conifer. When you get to the light at Pine Junction, turn left towards Deckers. I believe that this is CO 126. Go through Deckers where this changes to CO 67 (this is where you eventually wind up following traildamage.com's directions). Contiue on CO 67 until you get to Westcreek, which will be on the right side of the road. Take a right turn here, thenturn west on County Road 68 (Stump Road) just west of Pine Lake. Follow the first half of Cedar Mountain Road to the trailhead for Metberry Gulch on the right after you turn south.

Once you get onto the Cedar Mountain Road, the trailhead for Metberry is easy to both find and to stay on as everything else is pretty much closed off.

Coming from the Springs - we can just keep taking 24 down to Divide and then take Cedar Mtn Road on up to Metberry. I just don't know how boring that would be. Seems like the fastest place from our meeting point in Woodland Park.

sirius815
June 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow.

I'll see you guys there.

I'm bringing the family with, so at the end of Metberry (at the little parking spot) I'm looking at doing lunch. Sandwiches and potato salad - yum..

Brody
June 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
There are now two different posts for the run tomorrow on the 7th. Meeting time and place look the same as for the Illinois Gulch run, which 78 Bronco was trying to get people interested in doing, but it was never posted either to the calendar or as a seperate trail run.

There are people posting on the Trail Run June 7th who have signed up for the Metberry run. Have these now been combined into one run?

This is getting way more confusing than what it needs to be.

What is up?

Anyway....what time does everyone expect to be at the trail head? If we go, we will be coming from Denver via Co 126/67 to Westcreek

sirius815
June 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Um..from what Google maps says - from the McD's in Woodland Park to Metberry it's about an hour. If we are meeting at McD's at 9, I guess that'd be 10 at the Metberry Gulch Trailhead.

Me, Inferno, and possible other TReg's are doing Dakan Rd. followed by Long Hollow on the 13th. There'd be a good possiblity to do Illinois then. Just food for thought - maybe 78 Bronco'll join in?

Brody
June 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Me, Inferno, and possible other TReg's are doing Dakan Rd. followed by Long Hollow on the 13th. There'd be a good possiblity to do Illinois then. Just food for thought - maybe 78 Bronco'll join in?

Thanks for the update.

Don't be disappointed when you do Dakan. They smoothed it all off last year because of all the private residences there and now you can drive a Smart Car on it and have a smooth ride. We came back that way from the Illinois Gulch run and it wasn't even the same road...Basically, it isn't even worth doing anymore as it isn't even scenic..all you see are trees.

A variation that may be fun (or more fun) is, instead of doing Dakan, take the Jackson Creek Road (a little west of the Dakan turn off) and when it dead ends, take the hard right turn and follow that. It is certainly harder and the scenery is the same. At least you have some big bumps and hills. This road exits out by Shamballah Ashrama, then meanders down to Sedalia. This variation shows up really well on the maps, too, so it isn't hard to find.

MAybe we'll see you guys tomorrow. If not...well...have a great time!

78bronco
June 6th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Um..from what Google maps says - from the McD's in Woodland Park to Metberry it's about an hour. If we are meeting at McD's at 9, I guess that'd be 10 at the Metberry Gulch Trailhead.

i might bhe up for theat on the 13th. have to check finances when the time comes

sirius815
June 7th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Yeah - gas is on the rise again. I wish I didn't have to buy premium and got more than 16 miles a gallon!

Brody
June 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Yeah - gas is on the rise again. I wish I didn't have to buy premium and got more than 16 miles a gallon!

Yep...with my supercharger I have to run premium, too. I get about 2 more mpg than you do and was very glad to see gas down below the $4.00 mark. I ended up paying $2.77 gallon the other day up here.