PDA

View Full Version : Possible run 20 june

karolinakid88
June 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Is anyone interested in doing a run the 20th or 21st? If so please let me know so i can get it on the calendar and we can go from there and if there's anywhere specific you would like to go let me know that to please:confused:

Brody
June 7th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Why don't you just post it up? Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats are nice trails and have a lot to offer...well...as far as scenery goes, anyway...and are just challenging enough to be fun..

We have done these many times, sometimes starting out at Bunce/Ironclads, then down to Camp Dick to start MSV/CF. Fun trails to do at night, too...

sirius815
June 7th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I've got a 24 hour duty on the 20th - so if anyone wants to hit something local to the Springs on the 21st later in the morning since my duty won't be over until 9am, I'd be down.

Rob
June 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I could be persuaded.

karolinakid88
June 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Just let me know where everyone agrees on and i will put it on the calendar

Brody
June 8th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Spring Creek or MSV/Coney Flats for me...

karolinakid88
June 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM
coney flats it is i'll put it on the calendar.

WINKY
June 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
remember all the pertinent info plz.

karolinakid88
June 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I put it on the calendaer can you let me know if its right or do i have to put it on here also?

Brody
June 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM
You might want to put that in as Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats unless you are planning on running the Coney Flats trail downhill from the reservoir side. To get to Coney from Camp Dick, you need to run Middle St Vrain first and it is harder this direction. The section going up from MSV onto Coney is the hardest section run this way.

Here are the links to copy and paste if you need to:

Middle St Vrain:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18

Coney Flats:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=15

Tee Hee
June 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I might be able to make it. Its been a couple of years since I have been up there, I still have a nice dent from the last time we ran Coney Flats.

karolinakid88
June 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I might be able to make it. Its been a couple of years since I have been up there, I still have a nice dent from the last time we ran Coney Flats.

Sweet we hope to see you there and i've never been there so we'll see how it goes

Brody
June 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
So what side are you going to start on? The reservoir side or the Camp Dick side? Be nice for people to know, especially for the folks with bone stock rigs.

Coney can be run with a stock rig going downhill (ie: reservoir side), but a stock rig would have some issues going up from MSV (ie: Camp Dick side), especially if it is wet and muddy...

WINKY
June 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I put it on the calendaer can you let me know if its right or do i have to put it on here also?

go ahead and throw the link to this thread on there and put what cb channel you runnin.

sirius815
June 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Coney can be run with a stock rig going downhill (ie: reservoir side), but a stock rig would have some issues going up from MSV (ie: Camp Dick side), especially if it is wet and muddy...

Why's that?

WINKY
June 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
uphill loose gravel and mud= slip and slide.

sirius815
June 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM
sounds like fun

Brody
June 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Why's that?

The trail from Middle St Vrain to Coney Flats has a steep, narrow and rocky section on it, acts like a water trough for all the drainage in two directions and has some very slippery exposed roots. At the very top, there is a tight rock garden through the trees that is also slightly uphill.

Neither of these sections pose a problem going downhill, but have caused some issues with mildly built rigs going uphill. Places to turn around are a joke as well as spots to move off the trail for other traffic. If it gets wet, you tend to slip around a lot.

Not saying that it can't get done in a mildly built or stock rig, merely letting people know that it is easier run downhill in something stock that uphill from MSV. You won't go anywhere...like off the road...due to the trees and narrowness of the trail, but the main obstacle going uphill seems to be in just the wrong spot...

Anyway, just a heads up more than anything else. And, since the trail gets run in either direction, would seriously affect where people meet for the run...

I have probably run this trail 20 times or so...day , night, with and without snow..I have always done it from the Camp Dick side, but my heap is built up and the trail isn't a challenge for my rig. Nor do I worry about any body panel damage...I think that it is a beautiful and fun trail...

karolinakid88
June 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM
It doesn't really matter to me as long as i can get my xj up with a slipping trany and we will be on channel 4 for who ever has a cb

karolinakid88
June 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM
10am will work for me how does this sound to everyone else?

karolinakid88
June 10th, 2009, 07:14 PM
We can start the run at 9am and can someone give me direct directions to get there so i don't get lost please and i will be leaving the springs at 5:30am so if anyone from the springs is going let me know where you wanna meet

Brody
June 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
We can start the run at 9am and can someone give me direct directions to get there so i don't get lost please and i will be leaving the springs at 5:30am so if anyone from the springs is going let me know where you wanna meet

I25 north to the Boulder Turnpike. Take this to Boulder. Take Table Mesa into Boulder to Broadway. Take a right turn on Broadway. Go to Canyon or whatever the road that goes through Boulder Canyon is called. Take a left turn. There should be a sign there saying this is the way to go to Nederland/Eldora Ski Area. When you get to Nederland, bear right on Peak to Peak Highway. Should be a sign for Estes Park there.Take that until you see signs for Pleasant Valley/Camp Dick. Turn left into Camp Dick.

Alternative:

Stay on the main drag through Boulder and head to Lyons. You will come to a stop light, with Hwy 36 going right and Hwy 7 going left. Go left. You will go through South St Vrain Canyon. When you get to the end of the canyon, you will see an intersection where Hwy 7 and Hwy 72 meet. There should be a sign for Nederland and Estes Park. Take a left turn here, going towards Nederland. Eventually you will see signs for Pleasant Va:olley/Camp Dick. Exit right at Camp Dick.

The first way is more straight forward and shorter. You have two slightly confusing turns: Onto Table and then Broadway and then onto Canyon. The first isn't too bad as there is a shopping center across the road from the righ and it is logical to turn and Table turns right off the Boulder Turnpike. Table and Broadway is a main intersection. Canyon is about 1/2 way through Boulder and you will be making a left, so stay in the left lane.

Hope this helps..

karolinakid88
June 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Is there possibly a map i could print or would i be able to put it into my gps and find it?

Brody
June 11th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Charles Well's book Northern Colorado Backroads and 4x4 trails has a good map.

Here are the GPS (in longitude and latitude, of course...give me UTM any day!) for Camp Dick:

Lat: 40 07.80
Long: 105 31.45

WINKY
June 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
posted in wrong thread...

karolinakid88
June 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds good i'll meet everyone there and we'll meet at 9am at the trail head

Chris
June 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Sorry, what run is this?

karolinakid88
June 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
MSV and coney flats on the 21st and meeting at the trail head at 9am

Chris
June 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM
MSV and coney flats on the 21st and meeting at the trail head at 9am

Thanks, I was confused :rolleyes:

Josh and i are going to meet at the denny's on wadsworth just south of 285 for bfast at 6:30. we will leave out NLT 7:30 and arrive at the conifer meet at 8:30.

Pete, can you add this to the calendar please?

Randy, what is it you want on the calendar? :confused:

karolinakid88
June 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
LOL no problem boss will you be joining us?

karolinakid88
June 11th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Damn that sucks just let me know asap please

karolinakid88
June 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
LOL if you have their number i can call them in the morning if you'd like me to