PDA

View Full Version : Sugarloaf - West Magnolia - Magnolia Dr 06/07/2009

Screweder
June 7th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Ok, so my day started out crappy. I woke up at 2pm to a voicemail from my stepdad informing me that his recent cancer prognosis was worse than he let on and that he would be in Greeley on Tuesday for surgery... Yay, my days shot now... That was until I got a phonecall from Shauna requesting that we hit up a trail today... Maybe this day isn't shot just yet.

So I decided to head up to the Nederland area due to proximity, since her house is up north in Westminster. Took 36 up to 119, then to Sugarloaf Rd. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous. While you guys down here in the Denver area were dealing with hail and tornados, I was up in the foothills with beautiful sun and an occasional sprinkle. But there was something I didn't know about Sugarloaf... Most of it is paved. So when it dumped me out on 72 just north of Nederland, I decided to head on down to West Magnolia.

Once there my day started brightening up a little more. A good friend and an even beter view! Not alot of people were in the W. Magnolia campgrounds and I only saw about 6 dirtbikers throughout the trail. Though it was a little narrow at times, I would rate this trail as a 2 tops. Definately more fun than a dirt road but still able to be run by a stock vehicle whose driver has atleast 2 braincells to rub together :lol: So I got a little mud on the tires, no new dents or dings, and I think only one clear coat scratch from a treebranch. Great trail!

So when Magnolia dumped me back on to 119, I decided it was time to start heading back toward the Denver area. I still had to be to work at 10pm and its pushing 6. Started back north toward Nederland and made the last minute decision to take Magnolia Drive back toward the Metro area instead of 119 all the way back. This was definately the way to go. The dirt road offers less traffic, by far better road conditions (sadly ehough) and better scenery than the highway. Took my time making it back and enjoyed even more laughs and soaked up the sunshine. All in all this day turned out alright.

WINKY
June 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
nice man! Looks like a fun trail to do sometime :)

Screweder
June 7th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I'm going to try and find my camera charger so I can start getting more/better pictures for the trails that I run on. Not a whole lot of pics of my vehicle in action though... :( Meh, what can ya do.

itsjustdan23
June 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Hey buddy,
Sorry to hear about your dad. It always sucks hearing that kinda crap about a loved one or a close friend. Been in your shoes, its not an easy feeling for sure. On the brighter note, glad you two had a ton of fun and your day got alot better. Gettin out in the great outdoors has always been a favorite way of mine for clearing my head. Keep your thoughts clear, head up, and a smile on your face. Everything will work its way out for the best.

P.S.
When your ready to come get your Ranger from my place and give me back my Yota, make sure it has a full tank :D

WINKY
June 8th, 2009, 12:02 AM
yeah hope your stepdad has a fast recovery and it doesnt return!

Roostercruiser
June 8th, 2009, 03:12 AM
sorry about your dad.

Screweder
June 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the support guys. He's a tuff guy...

Brody
June 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Hey Chris

Glad that you had a good day even though it started out badly. Been in your shoes, too, with someone close. It is no fun...

Funrover
June 8th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad, glad you had a good time with your friend still!

Aaron
June 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Hey,

Can you guys post a Trail report for this trail? Click the Trail information link at the top and click Add New Entry.

It will help people find good trails in the future.

WINKY
June 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hey,

Can you guys post a Trail report for this trail? Click the Trail information link at the top and click Add New Entry.

It will help people find good trails in the future.

Good catch phillips, this does help with our resources. I try to fill in in for for fullsize rigs on every new trail i go on.

CalvaryBill
June 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
But there was something I didn't know about Sugarloaf... Most of it is paved. So when it dumped me out on 72 just north of Nederland, I decided to head on down to West Magnolia.

What I think you wanted was Sugarloaf Mountain Road. Head up Sugarloaf Road like you did but, as you near the top just before it kind of levels out for a while, look for a right turn at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain marked for Switzerland Trail. Take this dirt road up a couple switch back through a residencial area and into the Sugarloaf trailhead. Straight through the parking area will take you down Switzerland Trail to Sunset, to the left is Sugarloaf Mountain Road which will take you out to CO 72 about a mile north of where you came out from Sugarloaf Road, and to the right is a hiking trail to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain.

SubaCool
July 2nd, 2009, 05:36 AM
Plus one on Switzerland Trail, except, drive up through Left Hand Canyon, turn towards Gold Hill, then head west a couple of mile to the trailhead. Switzerland trail goes left after about 2-3 miles from GH. I think that was something like 14 miles. Goes through Sunset, lots of camping spots along the trail, very mild but very pretty. Shelf driving into and out of Sunset, very nice. Well worth the trip.

Hypoid
July 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
She skeers me!

Being out in nature is great therapy. Thanks for the pics!

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3479&stc=1&d=1244439730