PDA

View Full Version : FJ Cruiser with half doors

cfr
June 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Driving home today I saw an FJ Cruiser with tube half doors near Erie. It was either dark red or brown. Didn't have a camera handy so I couldn't get a pic. Figured the FJC crowd here would be interested. Anybody know this rig?

RockyMtnHigh
June 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds like Bill and Athena's rig!

RockyMtnHigh
June 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
This is something I would like to do to mine, provided I can find a spare set of doors, only difference would be is I would leave the window frame and have a custom canvas enclosure made for the window section that would unzip like the jeeps do. Some day!

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/interior-exterior-visual-tech/25820d1219873922-custom-half-doors-coming-right-up-halfdoors5.jpg

Brody
June 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Driving home today I saw an FJ Cruiser with tube half doors near Erie. It was either dark red or brown. Didn't have a camera handy so I couldn't get a pic. Figured the FJC crowd here would be interested. Anybody know this rig?

It wouldn't surprise me if you were to find that a swingaway tire carrier from something like a Chevy S 10 could be easily adapted to fit the FJs for some tube doors. They fit most Toyotas, can be found at junkyards for around $10 apiece and there are a billion of them out there.

This is what I used on my rig and simply notched the top bolt hole on my hinges to allow for very easy removal and installation. Takes me about 10 minutes to swap doors. You just leave the top bolt in the doors and it slides into place. Mine cost me $10 each and I couldn't even buy the steel for that price.

There are a couple of schools of thought on these: Drill out the factory pins and use removeable pins or doing the notch. I did the pins first and hated it as it made changing doors out a two man job. The lighter doors on earlier Yotas are fine for this. My 94 doors aren't light and neither are the FJ doors, so the notch works better for these.

Pretty much a no brainer modification...

Funrover
June 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Looks great.. however if Pathrat did it I think she would fall out hahaha

Pathrat
June 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Looks great.. however if Pathrat did it I think she would fall out hahaha

I'm too short to fall out :)

Funrover
June 16th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I'm too short to fall out :)

I stick to my statement LOL :D

4Runner3Wheeler
June 16th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Could you provide a photo demonstrating the notch versus the pin? I've been thinking about half doors, but like the idea of easy tubes vs. modifying stock doors. I may try this mod this season. It seems doable.

It wouldn't surprise me if you were to find that a swingaway tire carrier from something like a Chevy S 10 could be easily adapted to fit the FJs for some tube doors. They fit most Toyotas, can be found at junkyards for around $10 apiece and there are a billion of them out there.

This is what I used on my rig and simply notched the top bolt hole on my hinges to allow for very easy removal and installation. Takes me about 10 minutes to swap doors. You just leave the top bolt in the doors and it slides into place. Mine cost me $10 each and I couldn't even buy the steel for that price.

There are a couple of schools of thought on these: Drill out the factory pins and use removeable pins or doing the notch. I did the pins first and hated it as it made changing doors out a two man job. The lighter doors on earlier Yotas are fine for this. My 94 doors aren't light and neither are the FJ doors, so the notch works better for these.

Pretty much a no brainer modification...