PDA

View Full Version : dusk till dawn

WINKY
June 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
So we just got home, full night of wheelin fun! We are exhausted so i will be doing a report later today.

No one got hurt, only one puncture from a rock (swapped the tire), my truck likes to spit oil (need to remedy that before any more steep type of runs), no breakdowns.

We left at 8:40, got home at 7:30, did a crap ton of yankee hill area and then cascade/ute creek.

Fun times were had by all!!!:thunb:

4Runninfun
June 14th, 2009, 07:39 AM
sounds good. looking forward to a trip report. and pics!

DKDunn04
June 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
So fun... so tired. Goodnight.

Roostercruiser
June 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM
glad you all had fun. i wish i could have been there. there is another night run next weekend at slaughterhouse gulch

Trailrat99XJ
June 14th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for a great night. Just got home and I am going to bed!

itsjustdan23
June 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Right on guys, glad ya'll had some fun! Sorry to hear about your tire puncture. Those always suck at night. Cant wait for the trip report and photos:)

Trailrat99XJ
June 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Here is some pics we took. Not a whole lot because of the darkness! Last night was a lot of fun and I'm ready to do that again. It was a long night with 11 vehicles but it was worth it. That was the first time I did a rock garden at 4:00 in the morning. Very cool! Randy did a great job leading! Thanks dude!

DKDunn04
June 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
That rock garden was pretty fun

Trailrat99XJ
June 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
The view behind me. COOL!

Trailrat99XJ
June 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Daylight!

Trailrat99XJ
June 14th, 2009, 05:43 PM
About the only one that came out. Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQgWmx5cLCs

Trailrat99XJ
June 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Setting up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzVB9nkxKUE

WINKY
June 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
So for this run, it was a blast and the first time ever doing 15 hours in the saddle, most at night. I had the basic idea of where to go but at night its all strange land and that is the fun of it. We went to yankee hill area, and the 5point that you come across is always misleading me. So i take the wrong lane (3rd time doing it) but i am remembering the correct lane. Got down there about 300 yards, and i tell everyone to back out. In doing so a rock bit a tire and thus the blow out. Quick swap and were back on the trail. We go through up and over the top hill where the mudpuddle is (dried up now) and continue on uncharted territory. Taking a pretty good route through the mountains, over some awesome terrain and came out on apex valley road. We then stopped to get fuel and snack, take a break then continued on to ute creek/ cascade creek. Running through there and taking a loop twice, as the loop didnt show up on the gps. We came across some folks camping and ran the small rock garden climb right next to their site twice due to the loop, then on to the rock garden. We had 5 vehicles do the large rock garden and i will attest that i didnt have the clearance to bounce on some of those rocks. there are moderate lines and tough lines through this area. We turned everyone around at a large breadth and headed back up. By this time the sky was getting brighter so we decided to head on out through cascade. There was a steep hill that looked like a trail that i went up with no problem but almost fell into a 50ft diameter mine shaft that was caved in. This would have been a beeotch to get out of but thankfully i was driving correctly and not gunning it. As soon as i crested the rim i realized i was facing a wall and stopped in time. Backed out no problem. Once out on the cascade creek entrance from 103 we pulled aside and broke off from there.

here are the few pics we got.

http://s482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/randyrandy77/ute%20creek%20cascade%20yankee/

itsjustdan23
June 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Looks like ya'll had a good time! How many people turned out for the run Randy? Sorry to hear about the tire blowout.

WINKY
June 14th, 2009, 09:13 PM
11 vehicles 16 people i think..?

itsjustdan23
June 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Holy cow! What did the people camping have to say about all the rigs rollin by? lol. I bet they were kinda pissed about it.

WINKY
June 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM
dont know and didnt care, it was 3:30am and it was on public land...lol we did try to keep it down.... LMAO

itsjustdan23
June 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
LMAO keep it down my arse. I bet you romped on that bugger! All that matters is ya'll had fun and got back in one or two pieces.

DKDunn04
June 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hey, dont forget that I bent my diff cover! didnt have the time to re-seal it today (too lazy) but I put RTV all over the botton of the diff. Seems to be holding for now.

WINKY
June 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
If i didnt mention it already i did manage to move a (i think) 500lb boulder with my diff and cover 1 foot out of its hole... the cover is just scratched... thankfully.

WINKY
June 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I need more lights....

WINKY
June 15th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I would also like to extend a big thanks to White collar redneck for helping with gps directions. He was very helpful in getting the turns for us in places i have never been through.:thunb:

Roostercruiser
June 15th, 2009, 02:04 AM
i like nite so much better

Brody
June 15th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the great pictures! Great turn out, too. Sounds like you had a great time! Too bad about the tire puncture...ouch$$

We came out of the Cascade Creek drainage yesterday after Spring Creek. Cool area....wouldn't want to ask any of the locals that live back in there for help, though. Some of those shacks look like they are right out of Deliverance...I could hear the squealing pigs as we drove by....

Funrover
June 15th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Very cool, wish I could have made it!

Aaron
June 15th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I could hear the squealing pigs as we drove by...

The wind up, the pitch....

Gecko Cycles
June 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
LOL you punks!
I sleep from dusk to dawn.

j-mobes
June 15th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I'll admit I was a little nervous when we first noticed the No Trespassing signs, then rolled by that one cabin on the right.

Made me wish I was either packing heat, or wearing my chastity belt.

Trailrat99XJ
June 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I've been down there before and I asked a park ranger about all of the signs.. He said the property owners put them up to "discourage" wheelers from going through but there is nothing they can do to stop you. I must say I really never thought more about it until we rolled through there 11 strong in the middle of the night. I bet that camper with the yellow Rubicon was not very thrilled after the 3rd time we passed him! Oh well!

white collar redneck dad
June 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I would also like to extend a big thanks to White collar redneck for helping with gps directions. He was very helpful in getting the turns for us in places i have never been through.:thunb:

Randy...Thanks for saying that!! I had an incredible time on Sat night!! Thanks for leading 11 rigs!! You did a great job!! Thanks to Red WRangler Joe for letting me ride along :thunb: so that I could be navigator versus driving my own rig. Navigating at night is a whole different experience vs navigating during the day. WE ended up over 11,000 ft!!! Seeing snow capped mountains @ twilght for sunrise was absolutely gorgeous!!!

What are your thoughts on camping at 11,000 ft at the top of the Rock Garden area? What are your thoughts of a full moon night run say @ Mosquito Pass over 12,000 ft close to leadville?

Thanks again Randy,
Charlie

Trailrat99XJ
June 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Randy...Thanks for saying that!! I had an incredible time on Sat night!! Thanks for leading 11 rigs!! You did a great job!! Thanks to Red WRangler Joe for letting me ride along :thunb: so that I could be navigator versus driving my own rig. Navigating at night is a whole different experience vs navigating during the day. WE ended up over 11,000 ft!!! Seeing snow capped mountains @ twilght for sunrise was absolutely gorgeous!!!

What are your thoughts on camping at 11,000 ft at the top of the Rock Garden area? What are your thoughts of a full moon night run say @ Mosquito Pass over 12,000 ft close to leadville?

Thanks again Randy,
Charlie
Thanks for keeping Kimber company while I played on the rock garden!

WINKY
June 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Thanks again Randy,
Charlie

as long as i get to wheel im for it bro!!! ill camp at 40,000ft with O2....

WINKY
June 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've been down there before and I asked a park ranger about all of the signs.. He said the property owners put them up to "discourage" wheelers from going through but there is nothing they can do to stop you. I must say I really never thought more about it until we rolled through there 11 strong in the middle of the night. I bet that camper with the yellow Rubicon was not very thrilled after the 3rd time we passed him! Oh well!

true but they cant lock us out. i do remember reading a portion on trail damage for that trail, basically its public road/forest road and we cant be blocked. But we do have to respect the private property and thus stay on the trail, which we all did. It was a blast and i wouldnt mind doing it again!!!

ShutUpHippie
June 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Looked like a sweet run! Can't wait to get out on a night run, hopefully soon.

4Runner3Wheeler
June 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Full moon run at 12K'...I'm in. Post it up!

Thanks again Randy,
Charlie

4Runner3Wheeler
June 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Who has these sidelights? Please PM me and/or do a tech write up on the site. I really like the side runners for night time crawlin'. I want some :D

Here is some pics we took. Not a whole lot because of the darkness! Last night was a lot of fun and I'm ready to do that again. It was a long night with 11 vehicles but it was worth it. That was the first time I did a rock garden at 4:00 in the morning. Very cool! Randy did a great job leading! Thanks dude!

WINKY
June 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM
they are nice, i wam going to be wiring up some soon as well. when i get my bumper completed i will have some 5 inchers shootin off to the left and right for turning view. Also the side lights, they were nice!

DKDunn04
June 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Those are mine, and they were really easy to do. They are $15 fog lights from walmart. just tuck them tight into the frame with self tapping screws. Drill an extra hole by each light and use another self tapping screw for the ground. Run a wire from the battery to the cab, with an inline fuse (mine is a 20A). Make sure that the switch you have has connectors on it. Run that power wire to the switch. Ground the switch to a solid ground in the cab. Then run your acc. wire out of the cab. Split it into a T and break it off to both sides of the truck. Keep the wire tucked up as high as you can so it wont get cought on anything, on the inside of the framerail if possible. Connect the power wires on all 4 lights to this wire, and you are good to go!

DKDunn04
June 15th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Its a good idea to use male/female end connectors right at the lights, so if they break it will only take 5 minutes to bolt the lights to the mount and splice new connectors to the ends.

A-TRAC
June 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for making this run fun and letting me tag along.

I only got a few pictures that night.....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8839-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8843-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8844-1.jpg

And, sure enough, while airing up, I noticed I had busted another sidewall (3rd with these tires). It was my driver front, so I threw my spare on. Never seen a sidewall like this before....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8850-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8848-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8846-1.jpg

WINKY
June 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
ive seen them as bad as a tennis ball about to explode

itsjustdan23
June 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Would that be a defect?

WINKY
June 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM
some can be some are cause by rubbing a sharp edge of a rock along the radii of the tire basically streching the sidewall out and failing the internal layers of the tire. take a baloon blow it up to a certain diameter, take the same baloon deflate it, strech out a small spot on it and blow it back up, you will see it buldge on that spot. same principle. sometimes pinching the tire against the rim from impact can cause the same thing

itsjustdan23
June 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I follow you Randy, Thanks for clearin that up.:thunb:

Funrover
June 16th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Bummer on the tire.. I have had great luck with those.

4Runner3Wheeler
June 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Nice! Thanks for the info. Your lights look awesome.

This is now on my to-do list for when I add other accessory lighting. Of course, a locker and 4.70s are first on the list.

Those are mine, and they were really easy to do. They are $15 fog lights from walmart. just tuck them tight into the frame with self tapping screws. Drill an extra hole by each light and use another self tapping screw for the ground. Run a wire from the battery to the cab, with an inline fuse (mine is a 20A). Make sure that the switch you have has connectors on it. Run that power wire to the switch. Ground the switch to a solid ground in the cab. Then run your acc. wire out of the cab. Split it into a T and break it off to both sides of the truck. Keep the wire tucked up as high as you can so it wont get cought on anything, on the inside of the framerail if possible. Connect the power wires on all 4 lights to this wire, and you are good to go!

4Runner3Wheeler
June 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Get the mud terrain or the KTMs, they have thicker side walls that should prevent this type of damage.

Thanks to everyone for making this run fun and letting me tag along.

I only got a few pictures that night.....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8839-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8843-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8844-1.jpg

And, sure enough, while airing up, I noticed I had busted another sidewall (3rd with these tires). It was my driver front, so I threw my spare on. Never seen a sidewall like this before....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8850-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8848-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/IMG_8846-1.jpg

Roostercruiser
June 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
whos ford truck was that?

WINKY
June 16th, 2009, 01:25 PM
it was my friend trevor, he has a 7" lift with 35's not sure on the lift. it is a f250 diesel natural aspirated. his ride is very stiff with thte springs he has on but he deal with it. It was his first run with me and i think i got him hooked now...MUAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Roostercruiser
June 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
im reddy for saterday nite, i got a new transfer case mount, its welded up just need to drill new mounting holes ill do that thursday. im gonna try sliding the hoist without thde door on first see if that works on thursday. so we can be done by early saterday.

j-mobes
June 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
it was my friend trevor, he has a 7" lift with 35's not sure on the lift. it is a f250 diesel natural aspirated. his ride is very stiff with thte springs he has on but he deal with it. It was his first run with me and i think i got him hooked now...MUAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You need to get him to CORE and shoot some video. He seemed intent on getting that thing airborne as often as possible!

Brody
June 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Trevor also has some stacked , non welded blocks on his front end. He needs to address these in some fashion before he gets too rowdy. Blocks in the front end are more unsafe that anything I can say here...blocks of any kind. It is probably the most unsafe thing anyone can do with a wheeler....period. His were already loose to the point that they were no longer inline with each other....and if they blow out, which they will, especially on the front, you crap out your whole steering system (sector shaft, tie rod, drag link, steering arms, etc, etc), many times the spring pack itself, crap out your driveshaft and could very well end up in a pretty savage wreck. I have seen it happen more than once and it ain't pretty.

I didn't say anything to him when he was over here as I had just met him. Might sound better coming from a friend he knows and respects...

Just a heads up to pass on....

WINKY
June 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
yeah, i try to tell him he needs to work on things but he doesnt listen to well.... the 22 year old syndrome. He did the lift himself, and yeah he wants to tear his truck up pretty good..lol. Ill take him to core someday when he has $20 to blow let him play lol

hubbazoot
June 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have $20 to blow, I wanna go play at CORE....
Maybe when I have enough for gas as well.

Great trip, had lots of fun, but I don't want to do another 14hrs in the seat for a LONG time. I'd be up for another night run, but maybe a more technical trail (maybe do that rock garden again?) and make it a shorter trip overall. I had lots of fun and would love to do something like it again.

itsjustdan23
June 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
You should come to CORE Hubbazoot. It'll be a kick in the pants. Randy you wanna do 2 runs on saturday? lol. CORE and your night run?

hubbazoot
June 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM
You should come to CORE Hubbazoot. It'll be a kick in the pants. Randy you wanna do 2 runs on saturday? lol. CORE and your night run?
I work saturday, but I'm trying to put a run together for the following sunday.

itsjustdan23
June 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Good deal man, I work Sundays. So I know what you mean for sure.

WINKY
June 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
im helping roland fix his rig.