PDA

View Full Version : Poudre Canyon

Aaron
June 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Well, this weekend was a family camping weekend and it was awesome. We left Friday night and came back today (Sunday). Saturday, we had hoped to take Old Flowers Road but the gate was still closed. However, there was a road next to the gate called Monument Gulch Road. It was an easy 5 mile road but has some great views and an old cabin. We met one of the owners of the land on the trail and she was very nice.

We then drove by the Kelly Flats trail but upon looking it up decided that it was way too hard to do by ourselves and may be too hard anyway.

We took a drive down CR 69 to Red Feather Lakes and then on the way back, took Forest Road 68-C and FR 225. We chose this road because we saw some ATVs and dirt bikes on the way up 69 (between Red Feather Lakes and 14).

The trail ended up being what I would call moderate as there weren't any real "obstacles" with the exception of 9 stream crossings which of course got deeper as we went down. The road, however, was VERY rocky in some parts. Rocky enough that Anna got out to spot. We didn't disconnect or air down so it was a rough road.

As we were by ourselves, not a lot of action shots. Lots of scenery...

These first ones are from Monument Gulch Road. The last one is from 44e. Baby deer... There were 3 plus Mama!

Aaron
June 14th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Some more... These are on 68-C and 225. Easy is 68C, Hard (to me) was 225.

We've decided that we want to get to know this area better. It's beautiful and pretty close. The last two runs we've done up this way have been awesome!

Gecko Cycles
June 14th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Nice!
I was up there at the same time on Fri. Went form Louisville to Masonville and then over to Poudre Cyn and then to Red Feather and back the same way, then up to Walden and then back down the Poudre and back through Masonville and 287 home.

Long day of driving. Was going to go to Saratoga Hot Springs but my son had to be back to Empire area by 7 pm. I wanted a soak, so I guess I'll just make a trip up there by myself. With all this rain the hot springs may be flooded. I should call first. I went up there last year and they were closed because they were so flooded. That was a long trip for little reward.

The Poudre wasn't as high and muddy as I would of thought or I would of brought some fly rods.

Where did you end up camping?

Gecko Cycles
June 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Did you go to the Stupa in Red Feather?

Aaron
June 14th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Nice!
I was up there at the same time on Fri. Went form Louisville to Masonville and then over to Poudre Cyn and then to Red Feather and back the same way, then up to Walden and then back down the Poudre and back through Masonville and 287 home.

Long day of driving. Was going to go to Saratoga Hot Springs but my son had to be back to Empire area by 7 pm. I wanted a soak, so I guess I'll just make a trip up there by myself. With all this rain the hot springs may be flooded. I should call first. I went up there last year and they were closed because they were so flooded. That was a long trip for little reward.

The Poudre wasn't as high and muddy as I would of thought or I would of brought some fly rods.

Where did you end up camping?

We had the camper at Mountain Park Campground. Nice campground. Great for a home base while exploring. I LOVE EXPLORING!!

porkchop
June 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Well, this weekend was a family camping weekend and it was awesome. We left Friday night and came back today (Sunday). Saturday, we had hoped to take Old Flowers Road but the gate was still closed. However, there was a road next to the gate called Monument Gulch Road. It was an easy 5 mile road but has some great views and an old cabin. We met one of the owners of the land on the trail and she was very nice.

We then drove by the Kelly Flats trail but upon looking it up decided that it was way too hard to do by ourselves and may be too hard anyway.

We took a drive down CR 69 to Red Feather Lakes and then on the way back, took Forest Road 68-C and FR 225. We chose this road because we saw some ATVs and dirt bikes on the way up 69 (between Red Feather Lakes and 14).

The trail ended up being what I would call moderate as there weren't any real "obstacles" with the exception of 9 stream crossings which of course got deeper as we went down. The road, however, was VERY rocky in some parts. Rocky enough that Anna got out to spot. We didn't disconnect or air down so it was a rough road.

As we were by ourselves, not a lot of action shots. Lots of scenery...

These first ones are from Monument Gulch Road. The last one is from 44e. Baby deer... There were 3 plus Mama!
i think you could have made kelly flats in that jeep if you take all the bypasses its not to bad

Aaron
June 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Did you go to the Stupa in Red Feather?

We didn't do much up there. What's the stupa?

Aaron
June 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
i think you could have made kelly flats in that jeep if you take all the bypasses its not to bad

Maybe. I'll wait till we do it as a group...

1freaky1
June 15th, 2009, 12:05 AM
nice pics, love those old cabins.

Roostercruiser
June 15th, 2009, 03:29 AM
camping+offroading= best time ever. nice pics

Gecko Cycles
June 15th, 2009, 05:19 AM
We didn't do much up there. What's the stupa?
It is the Buddhist Temple. Lots of hiking around up there on easy trails and the artwork of the temple and area is cool.

Gecko Cycles
June 15th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Maybe. I'll wait till we do it as a group...
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=37

Aaron
June 15th, 2009, 05:58 AM
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=37

Hmm. Not bad. Maybe we can do this when we go up there.

Aaron
June 15th, 2009, 05:58 AM
It is the Buddhist Temple. Lots of hiking around up there on easy trails and the artwork of the temple and area is cool.

We drove by it but didn't stop...

Brody
June 15th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the report, Aaron!

You could have made Kelly Flats with the bypasses, but wouldn't want to do it solo. We did Kelly Flats last year as the Ladies Run and had some stock rigs on it .Another trail in the area that is fun to do the next you are up that way is Sevenmile.

Funrover
June 15th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Great pics, looks like Seven Mile is good to go now! Seems to be a lot of fawns out thise year! Thanks for sharing!

Aaron
June 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the report, Aaron!

You could have made Kelly Flats with the bypasses, but wouldn't want to do it solo. We did Kelly Flats last year as the Ladies Run and had some stock rigs on it .Another trail in the area that is fun to do the next you are up that way is Sevenmile.

Hey, after looking at the description of sevenmile, thats the one we did. Its FR 225. Very wet as you can see. a good part of the trail was a part of the stream, maybe a mile.

It was fun. My wife was VERY excited. She said, "That was awesome" " This is why we bought the Jeep" and many other quotables.

Funrover
June 15th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Hey, after looking at the description of sevenmile, thats the one we did. Its FR 225. Very wet as you can see. a good part of the trail was a part of the stream, maybe a mile.

It was fun. My wife was VERY excited. She said, "That was awesome" " This is why we bought the Jeep" and many other quotables.

I like Sevenmile, it's a fun, scenic and relaxing drive. That is actually where I took my sister for her first run with the X-Terra

Aaron
June 15th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I added Sevenmile Creek and Monument Gulch road to the trails section. Feel free to go and edit/augment whatever I have written there.

porkchop
June 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM
ya seven mile is cool that road starts from the same road kelly flats ends id have to say kelly flats is the trail ive done the most i used to have an xj with 4.5" lift on 31s i did heart attack several times by my self that hill is very intimidating but the far left side isnt to bad at all i cant wait till july 11 its gonna be fun if we get done early enough who knows maybe well do 7 mile

Andrew
March 15th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Kelly Flats doesn't usually open until summer. Check here:

http://tinyurl.com/4dnpr5b

Sevenmile is open.

MelloYello
March 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Looks like a great trip Aaron. Thanks for the post. It is awesome to see spring time coming!

BlackRubi
March 17th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Kelly flats was the first trail I ran. It is possible to do it in a mostly stock/lightly modified 4x4, but it takes quite a bit of good (read: fan-damn-tastic) spotting. I had a couple of buddies with me who used to wheel a lot (we left the wives at the campsite). Heart attack hill is a little rough, especially if you hadn't wheeled in years, but the chutes were/are you really need the spotting.
There is also a bypass just before heart attack hill, so you can avoid all of the major obstacles. Even the bypass is fun though. It gets tippy in places, and had a few obstacles. This has been almost two years ago though, so I'm not sure how it is now.

edog
March 17th, 2011, 09:30 AM
That looks like a great area to camp!

BlackRubi
March 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
It's great up there!

Aaron
March 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Here is a good writup of the trails... http://www.comtb.com/flowers/index.shtml

I'm sure they are closed now. The only thing open up there now would be Sevenmile which was closed all last year so I'd like to hit that trail up again.