PDA

View Full Version : Fathers day run - MSV/Coney Flats

cfr
June 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM
[Brody mentioned this elsewhere, but thought I'd start a properly named thread]

Sunday 6/21 is Father's day. Assuming that we rule the roost (I have some negotiating to do on that), let's try to get some families to go on the Middle St. Vrain / Coney Flats run that's already on the calendar on Sunday.

It would be great to get the wives and kids together. Of course, come prepared and pack plenty of drinks, snacks, and a picnic lunch.

Anyone else interested?

Brody
June 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM
We are probably going to be going on this run vs any of the others. CORE we don't have the extra $$ for, we are already signed up for the WFTW stuff down in BV so have no need to prerun the trails and we both like this one.

What time are you planning on leaving from the trailhead? And are you planning on leaving from the Camp Dick side? I asked this a couple of times and never got an answer...We won't be camping, but will be driving up from Denver, so we kinda need to know if you are starting from the reservoir or Camp Dick side so we know what road to take...the Lyons route or the Boulder Canyon/Nederlands route..

Brody
June 17th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Meet at trailhead (camp dick) at 9 am. I am not sure we are going to go on sunday, depends on when we have to be off the campsite......... we actually might go on sat...

Might be nice to know when you are going to go on the actual run...Saturday or Sunday, especially for the folks that aren't camping out and are planning on meeting everybody there, don't you think?

WINKY
June 17th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Yes, nail a date down and stick to it and not at the last minute, remember there are other people that are needing to plan for the trail and if the date is in the air no one will show....

brian pleasant
June 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM
yes i would love to go!!!! where do we meet at? i dont know much about the area but meet at place will do...wonder that my jeep is stock and can it still go thru, just wondering...

Brody
June 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hey Brian

I am trying to get the meeting time and place, etc sorted out as it is now very confusing with different times posted for the trailhead and meeting spot. Hopefully Randy will get this straightened out soon as we are going to go. If he doesn't, we are planning on being at the trailhead at 9:00 and will run it either solo or with whomever shows up then.

This is one of the most messed up trail run postings I have seen yet and is certainly not the norm. My apologies....

As to your Jeep being able to make it, you should be fine with some good spotters. No one has an idea of how deep the water crossing is yet, so I can't be much help there. Many stock rigs drive this trail. There is a 10' hard section up the Coney Flats trail that may be a little sporting as well as a small rock garden at the end, but, like I said, with some good spotting you should be fine. If you can make it through the first 'hard obstacle, you can probably do the rest of the trail. It, too, is only about 10' long and I have gotten a bone stock Grand Wagoneer through it with 12" of snow on the ground...

Brody
June 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I straightened all the informaton out on the calendar. Here is what it is:

Meeting time and place:

Safeway/Starbucks in Boulder. This is the LAST Safeway/Starbucks in Boulder on the left side of the road as you are leaving Boulder and heading towards Lyons. The entrance is immediately after the Checkers sign, also on the left. There is also a gas station on the corner on the same side of the road. If you stay on the Boulder Turnpike/36/28th, it will take you right there, just be in the left lane as you start going through town and you won't miss it.

For those people coming from another direction other than south of Boulder or Denver, we will be going through Lyons close to 8:20. If it is easier to get to Camp Dick from wherever you are coming from, we will be at the trailhead in Camp Dick close to 9AM. Both links show where Camp Dick is in relation to the Peak to Peak Hwy.

We will be meeting here at 8AM, anticipating getting to the Camp Dick trailhead at 9AM.

Here's the links :

Middle St.Vrain
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18

Coney Flats
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=15

CB Channel 4
My cell: 303-507-3066

Please be respectful of other people in the parking lot when you are airing down, too. This is a multi use trail, is very popular and sees an awful lot of traffic...hikers, bikers, ATVs, dirt bikes and wheelers. There isn't a great deal of room in the lot when it gets busy...

Mr6dwg
June 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Good Afternoon. I am a member of the TrailRidge Runners 4WD group, also. They "own" the trail. It was opened last weekend. The water is the highest it has ever been, but it was crossable. There were quite a few snowdrifts still around too, but they might be melted by this weekend.

Brody
June 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the update and also thanks for all the trail clean ups that you guys do! I have met quite a few of you folks on various trails and you have all been good people!

Rob
June 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
For those people coming from another direction other than south of Boulder or Denver, we will be going through Lyons close to 8:20. If it is easier to get to Camp Dick from wherever you are coming from, we will be at the trailhead in Camp Dick close to 9AM.

I'll be coming from Longmont, so I'll meet you guys at Camp Dick, unless I run into you on the road. Got a CB channel picked yet?

Brody
June 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Lets say channel 4 on the CB. I'll add it to the other post, too. Thanks for the reminder on the CB!

Here is my cell: 303-507-3066

Chris
June 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Barb & I will be there. :thunb:

brian pleasant
June 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
great!!!! i will keep eye on it no matter who goes or not ...

Pathrat
June 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
We might go, big maybe, but I have a question for Brody: what road are you traveling on when you are approaching the 'last starbucks'?

cfr
June 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM
We might go, big maybe, but I have a question for Brody: what road are you traveling on when you are approaching the 'last starbucks'?

US 36 aka 28th. Here,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=40.035281,+-105.259012&vps=13&jsv=163d&sll=40.035222,-105.258948&sspn=0.003598,0.006824&ie=UTF8&geocode=FdHjYgId_N-5-Q&split=0

Brody
June 18th, 2009, 07:05 AM
KarolinaKid88 set the run up, at the initial time when we were talking about it he wasn't sure when he could go (sat or sun) He has to work on sat so the run was posted for sun. Since we have to pack up camp on sunday and I do not know what time we have to be "out of there" we (Jeeeper91) and myself may run MSV/coney on sat.......

I would assume that you need to out of your site by 10 or 11 AM. Here is another option, assuming that you are doing a pull behind camper.

There are two areas just outside of the entrance to Camp Dick that offer places to park a trailer. Many of the trailered rigs that run the trail simply unload there and leave the trailer all day. I woudn't see any reason why you couldn't do the same, providing that your whole crew is up and about in time to do this.

Brody
June 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Easier said than done, two families, 4 kids total. Tent camping, we will have to see what happens, We would really love to wheel with the crew it just depends on how everything goes.....:D

I would be willing to bet that if you can have kids and family fed, you will have a whole slew of folks helping pack up your camp just so that you and yours can do the run with us. I know LaDawn and I will certainly help!

brian pleasant
June 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM
i will meet ya ll at boulder at hwy36 and 28th safeway or starbucks area...

Chris
June 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
:thunb: Should be fun, weather looks like it'll be on our side.

Brody
June 21st, 2009, 03:54 AM
i will meet ya ll at boulder at hwy36 and 28th safeway or starbucks area...

My cell number is 303-507-3066 if you have a hard time finding it.

Pete