PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded trip to envirotest was today

billsbar
June 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM
took the roid over for it's emissions test today.
the past (2 years ago)
worn out 1.3, fubared carb stock cat. Gas was mixed 2 gallons or so of gas and 1 gallon alc. The Roid didn't have enough power to run the full dyno test so they passed me because I think they didn't want to mess with me.
Today
1.6 8v EFI new cat under 4000 miles on the set up.
test
----limits-----readings
HC-3.0-------0.3443
CO-25.0-----9.7536
NOx-5.0-----0.4845
it fast passed and didn't even get to where it wouldn't pull "up the hill to 60mph 2 years ago
No messing with anything just pulled in and handed them the keys, no fuel mixing no screwing with the timing ect...

I'm a happy camper today, and I still haven't hooked up the check engine light from when I did the EFI swap.

Aaron
June 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
1.6 litre V8?

billsbar
June 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
8 valve compared to a 16 valve, I changed it

Aaron
June 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
8 valve compared to a 16 valve, I changed it

Just giving you hell. Congrats on the pass and the power.

Ace
June 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Awesome Bill.

Have basically the same setup as you. Hopefully I'll pass too.

Gecko Cycles
June 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Awesome Bill.

Have basically the same setup as you. Hopefully I'll pass too.Congtats Bill.
I thought you have a 16v? Should pass with flying colors too. Just drive by those Rapid Screen vans and then you won't have to pay for the test. I have been deliberately driving by them for well over 6 months. Now I got the no emissions needed on my registration renewal.

Ace
June 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Congtats Bill.
I thought you have a 16v? Should pass with flying colors too.

That's where the "basically" comes in.

Doubtful the tech at envirotest will know the difference.

4Runninfun
June 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
congrats. the EM test is always a headache. the worst fail i every got was when i had a 94 chevy pick-up with the 6.5l diesel. i took it down to have it tested it almost pegged the machine at 98% opacity :eek: (passing was around 40%) apparently blown injectors will do that. :lol:

CalvaryBill
June 20th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Congtats Bill.
I thought you have a 16v? Should pass with flying colors too. Just drive by those Rapid Screen vans and then you won't have to pay for the test. I have been deliberately driving by them for well over 6 months. Now I got the no emissions needed on my registration renewal.

You still have to pay the testing fee, you just pay it with your registration and skip the hassle of have to go to the testing station.

Patrolman
June 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM
You still have to pay the testing fee, you just pay it with your registration and skip the hassle of have to go to the testing station.

Yep. And if you passed enough of the mobile stations and you go to Envirotest, they are supposed to tell you that you already passed. Then they just tack on $25 at the DMV. Last time I went, the car had already passed at the mobile stations, but we didn't get a card. They didn't tell me and ran the test anyways and took my $25. Luckily they didn't charge me again at the DMV.

1bad4runner
July 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
You know whats greater than passing the Sniffer? NOT TO HAVE TO DO ONE AT ALL!!! LOL there are virtually NO emissions laws that I know of up here.

WINKY
July 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM
:blah: yeah yeah yeah drill it in....:mad: lol

Funrover
July 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
You know whats greater than passing the Sniffer? NOT TO HAVE TO DO ONE AT ALL!!! LOL there are virtually NO emissions laws that I know of up here.

Depends where in CO you are. COS has zero emmisions also.. (except Diesel)

WINKY
July 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
im just screwed then...

1bad4runner
July 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
no what I mean is so far as I know, COS has restrictions on going from EFI to Carb, and requires you leave a Cat on if it was OE. So far as I know up here there are NO restrictions. I can put a blown carbuerated 502 in my truck and run it on the street with No cat. Wait a minute... Hmmmmm.... :p

ROKTAXI
July 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
So when / if I move to CO (from UT) I'm going to have to jump through some hoops to get emissions passed?? YIKES!! All we have here is a visual inspection: brakes, lights, horn, and oh yes, mudflaps. My '94 doesn't have any engine mods other than air cleaner and I removed the ABS system. I think the exhaust has a slight crack but not audible. Runs great for 117xxx on the clock. Decent mpg (16-17) considering 4.88's. Is there anything other than has been covered before (tune-up stuff and CAT) that enters into the mix? We have a '06 Jetta TDI that's exempt (has a window sticker). Maybe I can take the sticker off and put it on the XJ:rolleyes:

Chris
July 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
The Loveland area doesn't have the emissions testing the metro area has ;)

ROKTAXI
July 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
The Loveland area doesn't have the emissions testing the metro area has ;)

That's good to know! Do they have any type of inspection?

billsbar
July 24th, 2009, 10:01 PM
That's good to know! Do they have any type of inspection?
nope there is no inspections other then the e-tests in the political

ahh never mind don't get me started

ROKTAXI
July 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
nope there is no inspections other then the e-tests in the political

ahh never mind don't get me started

I know all about the ".....don't get me started" I lived all my life in SoCal before I moved to Moab around 1990. I didn't let the door hit me in the a$$ as I left, nor did I look in the rear view mirror. CA emission standards are hateful compared to CO. You can't even change a bolt on the air cleaner unless it's CARB approved.