PDA

View Full Version : Ouray Sept 19, 20, 21st

Chris
June 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
A friend is coming from out of state to visit and we're planning on heading out to Ouray, anyone interested and able to make it?

:cheers:

Brody
June 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Not us. Too long a drive for too short a time...

Aaron
June 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I love that area but its kinda far for a 2 day-er for me.

Chris
June 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Understood, we'll go out the 18th and come back to 21st but we're a couple retired guys so time means nothing. :D

white collar redneck dad
July 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Sept 18-21st!! That sounds great!!

Chris
July 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
We'll be there Charlie!

Chris
July 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Minor change: we'll be wheeling all three days 19th, 20th, 21st with travel days before and after. Three days covers a lot of trails in Ouray and allows for soaking in the hot spring fed pool at the end of the day.

Haven't decided which trails but Black Bear for sure, probably Imogene, Engineer, Cinnamon, California & Corkscrew Gulches.

Probably 6 hours drive to get there, not bad for 3 days of some of the best wheeling in Colorado.

A-TRAC
July 14th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Haven't decided which trails but Black Bear for sure, probably Imogene, Engineer, Cinnamon, California & Corkscrew Gulches.

You most probably already know this, but the only technically challenging trail around Ouray is Poughkeepsie Gulch. They cleaned up the wall last year and it is somewhat challenging now.

I'd definitely recommend the trail if you are looking to have a little fun.

I'll be running it this Saturday and will post pictures once I get back.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/Pough%20Wall/IMGP2009.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/Pough%20Wall/IMGP2014.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/Pough%20Wall/IMGP2020.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/Pough%20Wall/IMGP2021.jpg

Funrover
July 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM
One day I will do the entire alpine loop

Chris
July 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Look forward to your pics! Last time I did Poughkeepsie Gulch I really appreciated the winch points and needed them. I don't need technical challenges, the whole area is just great though not hard.

billsbar
July 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I will be down there at the end of this month.
Last year at the wall
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/BillWall4.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/wall20.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/BillWall24.jpg
we ran a safety winch cable I really didn't want to go over backwards. Last year I was running stock spring suspension, this year with missing links and YJ springs I have so much more flex
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/005-10.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/021-1.jpg
that and I've gone from carbed to EFI I can't wait to get back down there

Chris
July 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Is the right side still the easier line? The pics look like everyone is going up the center.

RockyMtnHigh
July 15th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I'll be running it this Saturday and will post pictures once I get back.

Going to hang with the cool kids? :lol:

Rob
July 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Minor change: we'll be wheeling all three days 19th, 20th, 21st with travel days before and after. Three days covers a lot of trails in Ouray and allows for soaking in the hot spring fed pool at the end of the day.

Camping or hotel?

Chris
July 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hotel :thunb:

RockyMtnHigh
July 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Camping or hotel?

Hotel :thunb:

I started to make a smarta$$ comment about old farts and hotels, but I decided not to. I am trying to change my ways! :lol:

Funrover
July 15th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I started to make a smarta$$ comment about old farts and hotels, but I decided not to. I am trying to change my ways! :lol:

Why? it's fun! hahahahaha :lol:

RockyMtnHigh
July 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Why? it's fun! hahahahaha :lol:

Rob would be fun even Brody, Chris on the other hand holds the power to wipe me off the forum forever!

Rob
July 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hey, you kids get off my lawn! Has anyone seen my bermuda shorts? How about my black knee-high nylon dress socks? I can't wear my sandals without them!

Hey, didn't I tell you to get off my lawn?

Chris
July 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Hey Rob, pack the bermuda shorts, black knee-highs and sandals and head to Ouray with us. We'll let the kids trample the lawns while we wheel. ;)

Chris
July 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
One day I will do the entire alpine loop

Hey Funrover, we wouldn't expect you to change your ways.

I did notice something with these posts of yours though. I keep seeing the "one day I'll..." and suspect by the time that day comes you'll be staying in a hotel too. :lol:

Funrover
July 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hey Funrover, we wouldn't expect you to change your ways.

I did notice something with these posts of yours though. I keep seeing the "one day I'll..." and suspect by the time that day comes you'll be staying in a hotel too. :lol:

LMAO!! So there is a slight trend. There is so much to explore and I have dreams of doing it all! Just not the $$ currently. I still don't see me in a hotel.. just a nicer campoer hahaha

Chris
July 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
30 years can change a guy ;)

Funrover
July 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM
30 years can change a guy ;)

I have heard that. :lol:

A-TRAC
July 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Going to hang with the cool kids? :lol:

Na.....I'll be hanging with you guys next weekend. :)

A-TRAC
July 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Is the right side still the easier line? The pics look like everyone is going up the center.

My understanding is that the easy line was the extreme left, which they closed last year and put up winch points.

Will let you know what it looks like this year, but here are a few more pictures from last year.....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/Pough%20Wall/IMGP2005.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/Pough%20Wall/IMGP2006.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/Pough%20Wall/IMGP2007.jpg

RockyMtnHigh
July 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
We'll let the kids trample the lawns while we sit in our wheel chairs and drink our metamucil.

Fixed it for you! :thunb: :lol:

Na.....I'll be hanging with you guys next weekend. :)

You mean this weekend, the 18th, right? That's when the WTFW event is.

billsbar
July 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM
yep the left side was closed leaving the wall the only way up

Chris
July 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Is this what you're calling the left side? Right side as looking up...

billsbar
July 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
no if you look at the pictures in post #27 the last couple of pictures you can see what almost looks like a dirt road off to the left if you were looking up the hill. Thats the easier way up thats been closed off

dr350jja
July 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM
--- looks like a pretty challenging climb

dr350jja
July 20th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Hey, didn't I tell you to get off my lawn?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
July 21st, 2009, 10:56 PM
Hey Rob, pack the bermuda shorts, black knee-highs and sandals and head to Ouray with us. We'll let the kids trample the lawns while we wheel. ;)

OK. My bermuda shorts just came back from the cleanrs, so I'm seriously considering going. Do you guys already have reservations somewhere? Any suggestions on budget lodging? I'm not familiar with Ouray, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Chris
July 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Since kids will be back in school I don't think we'll have any trouble finding a place and it should be pretty quiet. We've stayed in a variety but IIRC the cheapest is the gas station/hotel/campground towards the end of town. I'll do some checking.

ROKTAXI
July 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'm in for that trip!!...... actually I've had reservations there 2 months ago (Before FR) for those dates... it must be a sign. A friend from NM and I go there every year. This would be good time for us to get in a run or two with you. Do you have anymore details about what runs you plan on doing?

Chris
July 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Great Marty! I'm open to any trails you might prefer, I haven't found one there I didn't like so far. Do you have any specific trails in mind? The only one I insist on doing is Black Bear.

You in Rob?

Chris
July 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Sept 18-21st!! That sounds great!!

Hey Charlie, any more thought on this one?

ROKTAXI
July 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Great Marty! I'm open to any trails you might prefer, I haven't found one there I didn't like so far. Do you have any specific trails in mind? The only one I insist on doing is Black Bear.

You in Rob?

My friend (also semi-retired) knows ALL those trails by heart. This guy is incredible!! He's staying for a month and does this EVERY year. He always manages to find some variation that makes for a great run. As for BB, my wife will NOT do that one anymore. I think her whole life flashed in front of her on that one tight turn. Of all the high number rated trails I've done, that one is the only one she won't do anymore. That's not to say she won't enjoy staying back and have a rest from wheeling on that day. I think my friends wife may also stay back but she doesn't have an aversion to it like my wife does. I also think it may be because a few days before someone had gone off the side and did a 2k foot drop (rental Jeep / novice).

I will be at the 4 J's campground on the 19th. My cell is 435-260-2727. Would be great to hook up!

Chris
July 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Cool Marty, I'd be happy to tag along on anything he could put together. I can do BB some time and understand your wife's view considering the circumstances. IIRC correctly that guy pulled over to let someone pass and forgot to turn back to the trail when he hit the gas.

Originally it was going to be my friend from IL and I doing this trip but a few weeks ago my wife decided to retire (again) so she'll be with us too. We'll be staying at a hotel. ;)

I'll PM my cell to you.

ROKTAXI
July 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Cool Marty, I'd be happy to tag along on anything he could put together. I can do BB some time and understand your wife's view considering the circumstances. IIRC correctly that guy pulled over to let someone pass and forgot to turn back to the trail when he hit the gas.

Originally it was going to be my friend from IL and I doing this trip but a few weeks ago my wife decided to retire (again) so she'll be with us too. We'll be staying at a hotel. ;)

Sounds like a plan. He's a great trail leader with a great personality. The only down side for some is that he is not known for getting back early. However, in Ouray he makes sure we get home around sundown...sometimes later if we stop in Silverton to eat. All other trips are generally much later on returning home. He has a well built YJ with "NIGHT CRAWLER" on the side of the hood. His knowledge base of trails in the 4 corner States is amazing to say the least. And he does this from MEMORY. No GPS data or maps for him. His reckoning, even in the dark, is nothing less than amazing, even in unfamiliar territory.

As for BB, I have no problem with it... now. We can discuss it when you're there. I know my friend (Guy) would like to do it if there's a consensus from the "group". If there's a particular trail you've heard about and haven't done, we would be up for that I'm sure. We haven't done Poughkeepsie in a couple of years so I think that may be in the plans as well. Betty really likes Corkscrew so I'm pretty sure we will be doing that. As I said previously, he'll be there for a month and picking a trail would not be a problem.

My wife has 2 years to go before retirement.... that's why I say I'm semi retired. She only works part time and has a very flexible work environment so she can take off from work without any problem.

Got your PM. Thanks.

billsbar
July 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'll be up there this Wed.

ROKTAXI
July 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I'll be up there this Wed.

For how long? Be sure to give us a report... We're heading for Yellowstone on Wednesday for a week. Doing the tourist thing. Just like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire as they say :leaving (Moab) one tourist area for another.

Then looking at real estate (on the way back) the following Wednesday in the Loveland area for a day or 2. Got a bunch of places to look at. :)

Chris
July 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a plan. He's a great trail leader with a great personality. The only down side for some is that he is not known for getting back early. However, in Ouray he makes sure we get home around sundown...sometimes later if we stop in Silverton to eat. All other trips are generally much later on returning home. He has a well built YJ with "NIGHT CRAWLER" on the side of the hood. His knowledge base of trails in the 4 corner States is amazing to say the least. And he does this from MEMORY. No GPS data or maps for him. His reckoning, even in the dark, is nothing less than amazing, even in unfamiliar territory.

I like the way that sounds, nothing better than someone who knows the area to make the most of it. I don't care what time we get back, there's always time for a hot shower before bed when staying in a hotel. :D

We'll be at the Ouray Riverside Inn, checking in the evening of the 17th and checking out the morning of the 21st for 3 full days of wheeling.

As for BB, I have no problem with it... now. We can discuss it when you're there. I know my friend (Guy) would like to do it if there's a consensus from the "group". If there's a particular trail you've heard about and haven't done, we would be up for that I'm sure. We haven't done Poughkeepsie in a couple of years so I think that may be in the plans as well. Betty really likes Corkscrew so I'm pretty sure we will be doing that. As I said previously, he'll be there for a month and picking a trail would not be a problem.

I've never done Corkscrew so that sounds good. Poughkeepsie has the winch points now and I'd need them, haven't made it up yet w/o them. A guy in a club I once belonged to rolled his truck there so there may be a bit of negative thinking on my part on that obstacle.

My wife has 2 years to go before retirement.... that's why I say I'm semi retired. She only works part time and has a very flexible work environment so she can take off from work without any problem.

Sounds good Marty, are you retired? This is my wife's second go at it, she retired 3 years ago but got bored. I'm trying to keep her busy this time around. ;)

ROKTAXI
July 28th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I like the way that sounds, nothing better than someone who knows the area to make the most of it. I don't care what time we get back, there's always time for a hot shower before bed when staying in a hotel. :D

We'll be at the Ouray Riverside Inn, checking in the evening of the 17th and checking out the morning of the 21st for 3 full days of wheeling.
I've stayed there a couple of time. The one room we had, the bathroom was so small you could hardly get inside to close the door. We stayed in the cabins one time. This time we're staying in a cabin at 4 J's.

I've never done Corkscrew so that sounds good. Poughkeepsie has the winch points now and I'd need them, haven't made it up yet w/o them. A guy in a club I once belonged to rolled his truck there so there may be a bit of negative thinking on my part on that obstacle. The beginning of Corkscrew has some REALLY tight switchbacks on shaley terrain. Doesn't seem to bother my wife but I'm a little tense especially if someone's coming down:eek:

Sounds good Marty, are you retired? This is my wife's second go at it, she retired 3 years ago but got bored. I'm trying to keep her busy this time around. ;)

I'm sort of retired. Collecting my SS check since Jan. I've cut back on how many days and the type of jobs I take. I'm a hardwood flooring contractor and a home inspector. I'm at about 2 days a week average working. Some weeks 0 some weeks 3 & 4 days. My wife also tried to "retire" a few years ago and what a disaster!! She was so bored and didn't like trying to find something to do. She seems to have the right balance now. Half day, 5 days a week, but she's been cutting back a little, so now she averages maybe 4, (1/2)days

We're leaving for Yellowstone tomorrow, and should end up in Loveland by the 5th or 6th. I'm taking my laptop so I'll try and keep up with some of my emails so I don't have a huge amount to deal with when we get back.

Chris
July 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Have a good time in Yellowstone, another place on my list that will wait until next year. I've stayed at Riverside before and it's fine, all I need is a bed and shower.

It sounds like our wives had similar experiences with retirement! Barb was fine until I went back to work (public school computer tech) after the summer off. Even though I was home by 1:00 she was looking for a job within a week. I'm hoping she does better this time, I've made commitments into November so she's going to have to for a while.

I added Ouray to the calendar: http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=102&day=2009-9-18

RSVP which shows others who may be interested who's planning on being there.

Good luck in your visit to Loveland!

Andrew
July 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I would love to come, especially since I had to cancel my Ouray trip for next month because of my broken thumb. But my parents will be visiting these days.

Chris
July 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Too bad it'll be fun. Ask you parents to come another date. :lol:

Andrew
July 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Already booked flight or I might have lol.

billsbar
July 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM
sitting in the KOA in Ouray
did Black Bear today
details and pictures later

Chris
July 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Looking forward to the pics! :thunb:

ROKTAXI
July 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
sitting in the KOA in Ouray
did Black Bear today
details and pictures later

Very cool!! Looking forward to the pix...

Right now I'm at a motel in West Yellowstone MT. Gorgeous country but can't do any wheeling. Our '06 Jetta TDI ain't much on dirt roads. We're just doing the tourist thing for another 4 days here and around the Grand Tetons. Then to Loveland to check out some houses as well as Aurora to see the grandkids.

billsbar
July 31st, 2009, 10:34 PM
black bear was nothing today we did engineer and Poughkeepsie, in the rain, sleet, hail and snow and Poughkeepsie was a ***** at the wall, someone rolled a Jeep before we got there and the group ahead of us did some damage to their rigs and the wall. Slicker then snot and the trail after (above the wall) was even a challenge. When I get home I'll post some pictures. I may have to wait awhile until I get pictures from everyone else I was kinda busy trying to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

billsbar
August 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM
a few pictures from Poughkeepsie

it was wet and between the wet rocks, mud and people digging out all the dirt/mud out from around the rocks there were some big holes and only a few made it up the wall without help and all but a few of them tore their rigs up. A few hours before we got there a Jeep rolled trying to get up the wall.
this 40inch tire Jeep tried the left line over and over and never made it
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/007-12.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/014-8.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/009-10.jpg
to give you an idea how steep the wall is this is the best picture I could could come up with
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/DSC00532.jpg

and here I am at the top it should give you an idea about the mud on the way up
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/DSC00529.jpg

more pictures to come when I get everyone else's pictures. It was much worse then last year and the section above the wall was also alot worse but very passable

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
This is coming up pretty quick, anyone want to have some fun?

Any decision from you, Rob?

Rob
September 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Any decision from you, Rob?

I still need to do a trip to Ouray (and Moab and BV), but I can't afford that right now. I'm likely going on the Ellis Jeep Trail trip. It's closer and more affordable. And I think Pete wants to see my shiny FJC get thoroughly caked with mud. :eek: I guess I could take along my power washer.:D

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I knew that, just forgot you told me the other day. :o