PDA

View Full Version : Jokes on me

Brody
July 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM
So I was over at Jim's house for the 4th and Jeff's friend Hugh, visiting from New York was looking at my heap.

He says" How come you have a Warn 8k on the front and a 9k on the rear?"

"Huh?", says I.

Sure enough I do. It had been so long since I buried the front winch in the POS ARB front bumper that I had totally forgotten. I had been under the impression that I had a 9k front and rear!

It had only been a week or so since I had cut out the top of the remaining POS ARB (the words somehow go very well together, BTW) so that I could actually get to the control on the winch without losing skin. I never even looked at the model of the winch, simply happy that I could now use the damn thing like you should be able to.

Now I have another project, but one that I was going to do anyway. I have needed to re build/ re grease both winches anyway, so this justs steps the time frame up. I will simply move the 9k to the front and the 8k to the rear where it doesn't get used as much..

Good for a laugh, but with the top of the bumper cut out, I can now move the winch by just removing the grill...like you should be able to do. I never figured out how this rather crappy, non user friendly design got past the ARB R&D department. They make some other good products, but their bumpers suck..cheaply made and without much foresight into the design. Bang for the buck, there are many, many other bumpers out there for less or equal price that are much better. Something to keep in mind bumper shopping...make sure that you have easy access to the winch controls and that you can easily take the winch out for servicing....

Incidentally, I didn't (and wouldn't have bought) buy this bumper. It was on the rig when I got it...I now have only the winch mount and top rail left of the original bumper and it is finally getting to the point where it looks and acts like a 'real bumper'....

4Runninfun
July 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Well pete i know you're not a fan of the ARB bumpers but in all honesty they're not really designed for THAT kind of abuse. ARB's primary concern when making their bumpers is animal contacts, and a bumper that will still allow deformation in a severe accident so that crumple zones and airbags still function correctly. And to that extent they are VERY effective. I've read numerous reports about a driver impacting a large animal and while there was significant damage they were still able to drive home. However, like i said they really aren't designed for rock protection. if your primary concern is rock protection you are absolutely right there are much better options usually for less $$$ as well.

Brody
July 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Yep...big fan I am most certainly not. I have hated mine ever since I stuck the winch in it and then tried to use the winch. Basic dumbass design...

Now that there is so little of it left, I am just beginning to like it. At least I can use the damn thing without losing skin or even use it with gloves on. Anyway, the more I have cut off the ARB, the more I realized what a cheap POS it really is...animals protection or not..Still better than most stock bumpers, though, I'll give them that. Certainly better than the bumper that I took off the 2006 Tundra I had. I could lift that with two fingers!

And you know me...if I don't like something because it either doesn't work, the company's customer service sucks wind, or their products suck, I am certainly going to say something about it.

BTW..the POS ARB was on the truck when I bought it....I should've just sold the damn thing and stuck a tube bumper on it to begin with...

Brody
July 7th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I'd rather have my tube bumper with stinger for an animal hit than an ARB, because the goal of hitting any large animal at speed is to force it down and under. You hit something big, especially if it is jumping and you may just send it up into the windshield and the passenger compartment, potentially killing somebody.

Had that happen to a friend of mine when I was living in the Mid West. She hit a deer and it sailed over the hood, through the windshield. It was still alive when it went through the windshield and essentially kicked her to death as she couldn't move out of the way. She was driving a passenger car, but you still want the animal under the rig, not over.

After rolling one rig and coming close another time trying to avoid animals, I don't even swerve for deer or elk anymore. If they don't move and I can't stop in time, they are going to end up on the table...I'll just bleed them out on the spot and use the winch to get them on the rig...

WINKY
July 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
ive had too many friends wreck perfectly nice cars to avoid a cat or dog.... sometimes i aim for them so no one else hits them and dies.

Roostercruiser
July 7th, 2009, 12:10 PM
in the truckin world youll get a ticket if you swerve and end up in the ditch.. they rather you hit an animal then dodge it.

WINKY
July 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
id hope so, 200,000 lbs or so of truck trailer and goods out of control, that like watching a full length train derail at 60mph and your on the tracks having a beer...:(

Brody
July 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
So that was Roland driving the truck that tagged the woman in The Devil's Rejects.

No swervee there, hence no tickee

And yes, sad to say, I have absolutely atrocious taste in movies...

WINKY
July 7th, 2009, 05:23 PM
the only two movies rob zombie directed and house of 10,000 corpses was a bit to psychotic for me... even though i got it.... :confused: