PDA

View Full Version : Kuhmo Road Venture MT KL71 and directional tread

cfr
July 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
In my online search for the best deal on 35s, I've run across the Kumho Road Venture MT KL71. Right now these are ~$210 for a 315/70/17 which looks like a smokin' deal.

However, I've got a JK Wrangler with a full-size spare and these are a directional tread. For whatever reason, I like the 5-tire rotation with a matching spare. Choosing this tire would probably force me to compromise with a 4-tire rotation and a non-matching spare which seems like it would limit my options in the long run when (not if) one gets damaged.

Anyone familiar with these tires? Anyone else have directional tires? How big of a deal is this?

Pathrat
July 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I had directional tires for about nine months so the rotation only happened once. The spare would be an issue only for the time it takes to drive to the tire place to get the thing mounted in the right direction, should you blow one and the spare is mounted for the opposite side IF you buy five. If not, you have to do the same thing and buy a new tire, making a spare just a round thing to drive to the tire shop with.
I don't know anything about the tires you are speaking of though.

gm4x4lover
July 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
A 5 tire rotation really serves no benifit IMO and actually causes the tires to wear unevenly. Most shops will do the 5 tire rot differently and there fore the tires will not spend equal time in each position. The true benifit of a directional tire is a noise reduction. They have no greater traction being directional and the water advantage only comes at triple digit speeds.

those tires look cool but i dont know how functional they are. i never have seen anyone run them on the trail. I think for 210 e you should be able to find something more common, like the mickey mtz's, or something more name brand.

cfr
July 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM
To be clear, I really want the BFG KM2 or Toyo Open Country M/T. Always looking for a lower-priced alternative.

I'm seeing the MTZ at $300 each in that size. I could get the KM2s for that (and almost the Toyos).

Brody
July 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
In my online search for the best deal on 35s, I've run across the Kumho Road Venture MT KL71. Right now these are ~$210 for a 315/70/17 which looks like a smokin' deal.

However, I've got a JK Wrangler with a full-size spare and these are a directional tread. For whatever reason, I like the 5-tire rotation with a matching spare. Choosing this tire would probably force me to compromise with a 4-tire rotation and a non-matching spare which seems like it would limit my options in the long run when (not if) one gets damaged.

Anyone familiar with these tires? Anyone else have directional tires? How big of a deal is this?

What Nick said on the spare/rotation...don't wory about it too much. I rotate mine (5 tire) simply because of all the rocks and low pressure running I do with the wide open lug pattern. I didn't bother with this with the Toyos, simply stuck the spare on when I wore down one side due to the Staun beadlock being flat and causing really bad wear/balance problems.

I talked to someone awhile back running the Kumho directional and asked how he liked them. He said they were fine and wearing nicely, but reversed the rotation and was getting better traction(?!).

There are quite a few people here that love the Trixxus tires. These may very well be my next tire as I have talked to a large number of other wheelers that love these things.

I also have a friend who is very happy with the Hancook (sp) off road tires he got for a good price in the mud terrain pattern. He is running them on his LC 80.

I ran the Toyo MTs and they were one of the best tires I ever had on anything. I would still be running them on mine, but they went to a 16" rim size when the went up to 38".

Here are two links for independent tire reviews:

This one is OK:

http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/ProductReviews/TiresandWheels/tabid/263/Default.aspx

This one is really good:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/mud.htm