PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetics

Chris
July 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I spent some time working on my trucks cosmetics. First was to repair the front damage from getting hit by an ATV a years or so ago. Got the metal pretty much where it was supposed to be and replaced the headlight surrounds and grill with pieces I picked up for next to nothing. Those also replaced the poor job I did painting them black a while ago.

I then finished (kind of) my wheel well trimming by adding some black to the body. Scuffed it all up and used 3 cans of truck bed liner which I'm really happy with.

Smash
July 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Man she looks good.

How did you like the canned truck bed liner? Where'd you pick it up and about how bad was the cost? Thinking about doing something similar on the Forester as I've got different colored bumpers...

Funrover
July 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
That black really sets it off nice.. I like!

Aaron
July 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
SaaaWeeet!

Funrover
July 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I am suprised the rims are not black yet.

Dirt Claude
July 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM
That looks really good Chris, it looks like a different truck.

WINKY
July 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
holy shipwreck chris your rig looks good man!!!! the black really sets it off for eye candy!

gragravar
July 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM
that looks awesome

Chris
July 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks all, I'm real happy with it but you know it doesn't really look as good as it does in the pics. A true "10 foot looker" now. I've wanted to to this since I saw a red & black in Moab a couple years ago.

I used whatever Checker carries, Dupli-color I believe. Three cans at $8/ea isn't bad at all and I really like the rattle cans. The roll-on probably provides better protection but I didn't want all the texture. This has a nice mild texture.

I have the paint for the wheels in the garage but I'm kinda liking the look now.

Haku
July 20th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks all, I'm real happy with it but you know it doesn't really look as good as it does in the pics. A true "10 foot looker" now. I've wanted to to this since I saw a red & black in Moab a couple years ago.

I used whatever Checker carries, Dupli-color I believe. Three cans at $8/ea isn't bad at all and I really like the rattle cans. The roll-on probably provides better protection but I didn't want all the texture. This has a nice mild texture.

I have the paint for the wheels in the garage but I'm kinda liking the look now.

I agree, I think with all the black on it now, having the wheels black too will just be overkill. Having that silver there makes it pop a bit better and provides some contrast. I'll photoshop it black for you so you can see what it will look like with em painted.

JH

Chris
July 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
If I painted the wheels I'd have to do all the chrome. The wheels really balance it now.

Haku
July 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Here ya go for the photoshopped version. Its also a cool look and wouldn't be bad at all. I like it more then I thought I would. I'd at least paint them off the car (this time;)) so you don't paint the hubs and lug nuts. Want a bit of bling on there right?

JH

Chris
July 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Sure is a different look but side-by-side I still think they look better as is.

isotel
July 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Id Say Stick with the Alloy's , Or if you go black with the wheels, you gotta get rid of the rest of the chrome on the truck!

Looking good! :D

Chris
July 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'd at least paint them off the car (this time;)) so you don't paint the hubs and lug nuts.

:lol: Probably would be better but sometimes I'm impulsive and lazy at the same time. :lol:

WINKY
July 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
i like the rims unpainted for your rig chris. looks good as is :)

Chris
July 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Id Say Stick with the Alloy's , Or if you go black with the wheels, you gotta get rid of the rest of the chrome on the truck!

My thoughts exactly and getting rid of all the chrome is a lot f work. Like Josh said, a bit of bling is good. ;)

1freaky1
July 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
It looks really good Chris, I like the alloy look on it cause it actually looks taller that way. Wally world also carry's the spray on bedbliner from PlasticKote it is just $6.87 a can, I like it but it definitely has a lot of over spray potential, so far Ive gone thru 7 cans.

Pathrat
July 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
:eek: WOW! I didn't recognize you when I saw your icon photo!!! That looks great! Nice job

Pathrat
July 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
My thoughts exactly and getting rid of all the chrome is a lot f work. Like Josh said, a bit of bling is good. ;)

I have black rims with shiny silver lug nuts...and I don't care. :)
For yours and mine, I do like some of the silver shiny to balance the flat black.

ShutUpHippie
July 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Looks awesome Chris! Keep 'em silver. :thunb:

4runner freak
July 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Chris, I saw your Icon pic and didn't recognize you either.
Looks good.
I think sticking with the alloys looks better than the black.

Rob
July 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
I say stick with alloy wheels on one side and paint the wheels on the other side black. That way you can have it both ways and keep everyone guessing.

Looks good, Chris. 10 feet, three beers, any way you look at it.

dr350jja
July 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
I say stick with alloy wheels on one side and paint the wheels on the other side black. That way you can have it both ways and keep everyone guessing.

Looks good, Chris. 10 feet, three beers, any way you look at it.

:thunb: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris
July 22nd, 2009, 07:08 AM

Now you've got it :lol:

Brody
July 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Keep the alloys. Clean them off with some Eagle or other good alloy cleaner and clear coat them. Then you won't have the cleaning issue. Just watch the rocks as the alloys will crack....

Looks good. The black bottom makes it look serious...

Chris
July 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I can't bring myself to paint them now so I'll try the clearcoat. Good idea Pete.

Trailrat99XJ
July 22nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Looks really good!!!

DKDunn04
July 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Looks great!

JeepersCreepers
July 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Freakin looks sweet Chris, nice work! Can't wait to see it out on the trails

Roostercruiser
July 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
yur truck looks better than mine evr will. looks great

4Runninfun
July 23rd, 2009, 01:01 AM
guess i'm the odd one out if it were me i'd paint them black. :wave:

Roo
July 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Love the black trim on the bottom! I like the rims just like you got em now.