PDA

View Full Version : Mt Antero and Browns Lake

cfr
July 22nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Intro... Took the kids to the Buena Vista / Salida area for a 3-day weekend. Saturday we drove there, did Mt Antero and Browns Lake. Sunday we did Hancock Pass and the Alpine Tunnel. Monday we did Royal Gorge and drove home.

My kids have loved the new aquamarine exhibit at the Denver Museum and, as a result, have been wanting to go to Mt. Antero where they were found so I ordered the Charles Wells book for the Southern half of the state and planned this trip.

The trail itself was fairly easy in my stock JK Wrangler Unlimited. Pretty sure I saw an Outback (Smash?) somewhere on the trail that day. There were a few steep parts, but the most intimidating part for me was white-knuckling on the switch-backs above treeline.

I aired my stock Goodyear SR-A "street tires" down to 20 PSI to smooth the ride. This is only the second time I've done that and I've been amazed at how much it smooths the bumps. Got a new Slime 12V tire pump. Airing back up from 20->35 PSI now only takes 4 minutes/tire. Not great, but far more reasonable than the 15 min/tire with my old aging pump.

We didn't go all the way to the top of the Mt Antero trail. Above the switch-backs, the trail levels off and you can either go the last 1/2 mile to the top or down to Browns Lake. We stopped there for some pictures and it was extremely windy. Lockers are recommended for the last climb to the top and I've got an open front (with brake-lock differential; the ECU detects wheel spin and uses the brakes on the spinning wheel to force power to the other on that axel) and LSD rear. Didn't want to get in a mess with the kids so we dropped down to Browns Lake.

Wells describes the lake as remote and quiet. I thought the trail to/from the lake was great. You drop down into a high valley with a stream and wildflowers, back down into the trees, and over to the lake. There was one group of tent campers nearby, but other than them we were the only people there on a Saturday afternoon.

To return, we re-traced our path. Coming back down the switch-backs on Mt. Antero was a little easier as you could see much better but you also got a good look at how far you'd tumble if you lost your concentration for a few seconds.

Overall, great day. The kids loved it. We hit the trail at 2PM, and got off the trail at 7PM for 5 hours on the trail (right in line with Wells' estimates).

Pathrat
July 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Good report. Your pictures give an idea of the steepness

4Runninfun
July 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
great report. I was going to try to do this trail on tues, but with a 3/4 ton pickup it was just way too rough. i'll wait until i get my toyota sorted out. I did do princeton and had fun there.

Chris
July 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Very nice writeup and pics. All I need to do is show this to Barb and she'll want to go back. Thanks! :thunb:

Smash
July 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Cool to see more pictures of what we weren't able to do!!

Funrover
July 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Beautiful pics, I wish I would have done that now instead of Princeton

4Runninfun
July 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
smash how far did you make it? did you get above tree line?

4Runninfun
July 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Beautiful pics, I wish I would have done that now instead of Princeton

princeton was pretty good... antero was GREAT!

Funrover
July 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
princeton was pretty good... antero was GREAT!

Sure....rub it in :lol:

4Runninfun
July 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM
just helping you with the proper motivation. peer pressure and taunting usually works :lol:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/4runninfun/FrenchTaunt.gif

Funrover
July 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM
just helping you with the proper motivation. peer pressure and taunting usually works :lol:

It is but the finer ways that I expect from you LOL

4Runninfun
July 30th, 2009, 05:29 PM
now go away or i shall taunt you a second time!

Funrover
July 30th, 2009, 05:30 PM
ROFLMAO!! Check mate... You win hahaha :lol:

cfr
April 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Ran across another trip report of the same area. Great pics. Enjoy,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/mt-antero-browns-lake-co-7-10-09-a-951059/

DKDunn04
April 11th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Holy dead thread Batman! :lmao:

JKimmel
April 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM
thanks for bringing this back up :) I've been wanting to do more camping trip this summer, and this fits the bill nicely. Just have to find a place to stuff my tow vehicle along the way and I'm in :)

Hypoid
April 16th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Mikey likey....:)