PDA

View Full Version : Aspen - CB Run Sept 12-13th

Fortress of Tranquility
July 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM
New dtaes Sept 19-20th

Yep, another sort-of Triple-Bypass for September. I am coordinating with several hikers who want to hike West Maroon Pass from Aspen to CB (Maroon Lakes to the top of Schofield Pass) and I offered to give them a ride from CB back to Aspen. I will be able to take 2-3 riders, but it looks like there might be up to 9-11 hikers, so anyone who wants to wheel, camp and provide seats, sound off!

This would be an overnight trip, driving/hiking on Saturday, everyone in the vehicles on Sunday back to Aspen. Driving routes are not established at this time, so feel free to lobby for your favorite.

Fortress of Tranquility
September 4th, 2009, 12:54 PM
So it looks like the plan is to drive up on Saturday morning. It's a 4+ hour drive to Marble from Denver. Since we'll be getting up there later, we'll skip Lead King Basin and head right up to the Crystal Mill, Crystal City, Lizard Lake and Schofield Pass. Getting from Marble to the top of Schofield is 2-3 hours depending on traffic and stops along the way. I've never camped up there before, so we can either try to find a location before we go, or just wing it when we get there.

On Sunday we can either drive into CB in the morning, or skip it and head straight over Pearl Pass into Ashcroft and then Aspen. From CB to Ashcroft is 3-5 hours depending on traffic. If we feel like we have time we can also drive up Montezuma Basin before we hit Ashcroft. The drive from Aspen to Denver over Independence pass is 3+ hours depending on traffic and stops to gawk.

As far as gear goes, Katherine and I have everything we need to camp (tent, pads, bags, etc.), but not necessarily cook. I dug out my old cooking kit last week, but it needs some help (gas stove don't work.) If we want fire, we'll probably need to bring wood. As far as food goes, I'm happy with simple or elaborate. Since we're car-camping we can bring whatever. I have several large coolers and we can load up the roof rack with whatever. We also have some spare camping gear if we need to fill in some blanks.

Let me know what y'all are thinking!

PS links if you want to read about where we're going:

Crystal City
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=44

Schofield Pass
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=45

Pearl Pass
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=45

Chris
September 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I was there between your last posting and this one. Great choices but too soon for me to go again. :(

Funrover
September 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I want to.... and wish I could

Medic-5150
September 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM
How narrow is Devils Punch? Would my truck be able to fit? If so I'll consider going. I've got a friend flying in from CA on the 9th so I'll have to see if she wants to go. I'd be bale to seat 4 extra.

Fortress of Tranquility
September 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Change in plans! We're going to do this on the weekend of September 19-20th. Same basic plan as above, just the different dates.

Fortress of Tranquility
September 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM
How narrow is Devils Punch? Would my truck be able to fit? If so I'll consider going. I've got a friend flying in from CA on the 9th so I'll have to see if she wants to go. I'd be bale to seat 4 extra.

It's narrow. Not too narrow, but narrow. See new dates too (Sept 19-20th.)

Medic-5150
September 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I can't make it then. Have fun!

Fortress of Tranquility
September 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I can't make it then. Have fun!

Sorry about that. Met with some of the other folks today and had to compromise...

DKDunn04
September 5th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Sounds like fun, but I will be at the scottish festival in Estes Park that weekend.

RockyMtnHigh
September 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Guess it's a good thing I didn't request the time off, go through the pain in the butt to find someone to cover for me, only to have the trip canceled again.

Here's a thought though, if the hikers are expecting the rigs to cart them around between Aspen and Crested Butte, maybe they should do it when it works best for the people supplying the gas and vehicles, not the other way around.

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Here's a thought though, if the hikers are expecting the rigs to cart them around between Aspen and Crested Butte, maybe they should do it when it works best for the people supplying the gas and vehicles, not the other way around.

Sure can't argue that logic.