PDA

View Full Version : Manifold Destiny

Chris
July 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM
How about it, anyone tried cooking while driving?

Smash
July 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Did toss a few eggs on a friends vtwin one time. Man it was hilarious. Well, I thought so....

Roostercruiser
July 27th, 2009, 10:49 PM
u always have cooking oil.........................

Brody
July 28th, 2009, 05:03 AM
We used to do this all the time on climbing road trips. Without going into a lot of effort to make a real 'cooker' (Swedish mess kits are easily adaptable to this), you can warm up about anything you want to and make some pretty decent burritos by simply double wrapping what you want to warm up/cook in some heavy duty Reynold's type wrap. Just don't forget that you have it on the engine! Trail and error will get you where you want to be, heat wise.

If we are going to be pulling into a late camp, we toss some burritos on the engine before we get to where we are going. That way, after you set up camp and have a fire going, you can grab something hot and ready to eat as you prepare the 'real' dinner..

There are quite a few articles on the internet about building an engine cooker. I have heard about people baking cookies and pizza in them.

Funrover
July 28th, 2009, 06:36 AM
HAHAHAHA!!! There is actually a book for that.. Sweet. I have done a few items.. but not a lot

white collar redneck dad
October 8th, 2009, 12:55 AM
How about it, anyone tried cooking while driving?

Chris --- you are killing me!!!!! Im laughing so hard!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Brody
October 8th, 2009, 05:59 AM
We have done this for years, especially when we leave late on Friday for a climbing/camping trip and plan on getting to the campsite after dark and hungry.

Most of the time, we just do Mexican food like burritos, but we have heated up steaks, chicken, stews, etc. A double or triple wrap of tin foil usually does the trick and allows you to wedge the food in place.

1freaky1
October 8th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Used to cook on the deisel engines while I was in the Army.

greenramp
October 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
can you say Sea rats and MRE. I've done my share of this. Funny how I forgot it though, I've never done it on a Civ vehicle.

Brody
October 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Here is another link and a picture of food on the engine cooker. The foil packets that look like a squash look like what I take car camping and make a stew in. These I simple place of some coals or a grill and have a heatry meat stew in a few minutes.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cooking...-with-your-car/

Needless to say, everything you cook is going to be watched pretty carefully and timed well. It is best to start off with something that will just get 'too hot' vs 'turned to black uneatable gunk'. Hot dogs, corn dogs, burritos, stew all give you a little leeway...

Another thing to do if you like Mex or Tex Mex food is to heat the beans, rice, meat separately, then lay some tin foil on the manifold and heat the tortilla shells, then make 'em up...

CalvaryBill
October 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
A gal in our Calvary group has an older copy of that book. I have borrowed it and it is pretty good. I have done a lot of the warming up hot dogs and burritos kind of stuff but haven't ventured into the full-fledged cooking yet. Is that photo from a recent add somewhere? I'd be interested in getting that book.

Brody
October 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
The photo was something else that cropped up when I was doing a little more research. The guy that wrote this article and took the photos said that he found the 'Manifold Destiny' book after his post.

Anyway, here is your link to getting the book through Amazon.com starting used at under $5..

http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine/dp/0375751408

scoutfam
October 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I used to put a foil covered burrito on my engine to warm it on the way to work in the morning and also to keep food warm after lunch.. I worked in the field as a cable television contractor so if I wasn't in the field I wasn't making money..... It did work but if anything is leaking or smoking the food could have a nasty flavor......

DKDunn04
October 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Used to cook on the deisel engines while I was in the Army.

And I still do!