PDA

View Full Version : 186' waterfall with a Kayak

Funrover
July 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.h...istId=playlist

http://kayakwaterfalls.com/

Haku
July 29th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Definitely pretty crazy. I've been a whitewater kayaker since I was 12 years old, and the fact that the world record went from 127 feet to 186 feet in one jump is the most amzing part of this. I can't remember if I've ever met the guy who did it, Tyler Bradt, but have definitely heard he is a cool, down to earth dude. Definitely very competant and not just doing it willy nilly. Lots and lots of planning goes into these attempts, and the water level has to be perfect. Kinda makes my personal record of 18 or so feet seem pretty trivial. Damn cool sport though. I've gotten out of it a bit since I started wheeling so much, but still love to get out on the river too.

JH

Funrover
July 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Definitely pretty crazy. I've been a whitewater kayaker since I was 12 years old, and the fact that the world record went from 127 feet to 186 feet in one jump is the most amzing part of this. I can't remember if I've ever met the guy who did it, Tyler Bradt, but have definitely heard he is a cool, down to earth dude. Definitely very competant and not just doing it willy nilly. Lots and lots of planning goes into these attempts, and the water level has to be perfect. Kinda makes my personal record of 18 or so feet seem pretty trivial. Damn cool sport though. I've gotten out of it a bit since I started wheeling so much, but still love to get out on the river too.

JH

Where is a good "starting" place?

Haku
July 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Where is a good "starting" place?

A good starting place for kayaking? I would recommend taking a class with one of the many kayak instruction schools in the state. Rocky Mountain Adventures in Salida/BV is a great place, but there are others all over the state too. This is assuming you have been rafting and know you like what whitewater has to offer. The cool thing about Kayaking is that it can be as hard or easy as you want to make it, and Kayakers are generally cool about respecting where you are at skill level wise aka they don't generally push you to go on stuff harder then you want to. Once you have a class, getting some experience is good. There are clubs out there, but there are so many boaters in Colorado that its not usually hard to find people to go with in your skill level. Lots of man made whitewater parks all over to have good safe fun at.

JH

Funrover
July 30th, 2009, 05:08 PM
A good starting place for kayaking? I would recommend taking a class with one of the many kayak instruction schools in the state. Rocky Mountain Adventures in Salida/BV is a great place, but there are others all over the state too. This is assuming you have been rafting and know you like what whitewater has to offer. The cool thing about Kayaking is that it can be as hard or easy as you want to make it, and Kayakers are generally cool about respecting where you are at skill level wise aka they don't generally push you to go on stuff harder then you want to. Once you have a class, getting some experience is good. There are clubs out there, but there are so many boaters in Colorado that its not usually hard to find people to go with in your skill level. Lots of man made whitewater parks all over to have good safe fun at.

JH

Been on a raft.. want to try the kayak. I think if both the wifa and I like it we may do it more often. Last time I was in a Kayak was on a lake,, still had a lot of fun